3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Sentry Security Key on ALL 2006's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sentry Security Key on ALL 2006's?

The guy installing my alarm opened up the key and found a chip, even though I have the black keys and no Sentry option listed on the sticker. He said he thought all the 2006's had the Sentry system (even the black keys). Anyone know for sure?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
The guy installing my alarm opened up the key and found a chip, even though I have the black keys and no Sentry option listed on the sticker. He said he thought all the 2006's had the Sentry system (even the black keys). Anyone know for sure?
It's on there, but has to be activated for a fee I am pretty sure.

Derek
Old 01-15-2007, 02:31 PM

My '06 window sticker lists the Sentry Key(R) Theft Deterrent System as "Standard Equipment". I've pulled up a few other window stickers of '06's and they all have it listed as standard equipment.
I have the remote entry one peice keys with the lock/unlock/panic buttons as part of the key assembly.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:39 PM

I just looked at my window sticker, and it's on there under standard equipment too.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06RAMCTD
My '06 window sticker lists the Sentry Key(R) Theft Deterrent System as "Standard Equipment". I've pulled up a few other window stickers of '06's and they all have it listed as standard equipment.
I have the remote entry one peice keys with the lock/unlock/panic buttons as part of the key assembly.
yeah, it's standard as in, it is already equipped with it, but if you want to USE it and here's the kicker, you have to pay extra for it. Who would buy a brand new truck and NOT activate the dang security system? kinda a shady deal I thought, but oh well...i still love my truck!

Derek
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info, guys!

Just dug up my sticker and it does have the Sentry system listed under standard equipment. So I guess the (06) black keys are all Sentry chipped too.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Mine was already activated from the factory.
Didn't have the pay the dealer to do it.
But, my dealer is great and doesn't charge for any programming changes with the DC "STAR" tool. If they aren't busy, the parts manager will let me take it out and run through the system to see what's on it. There are a lot of features that can be modified on the '06s and '07s with the CAN BUS system.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derek.mckay
yeah, it's standard as in, it is already equipped with it, but if you want to USE it and here's the kicker, you have to pay extra for it. Who would buy a brand new truck and NOT activate the dang security system? kinda a shady deal I thought, but oh well...i still love my truck!

Derek
Are you sure about this???

I don't think it is true my truck has Sentry and they never said it had to be activated.
why would they list it as standard equipment on the sticker but then make you activate it?? Makes no sense
if they are listing features that need to be enabled you would think they would show the high idle/PTO and "key off-accessory power on" on the sticker too.
If it's on the sticker then it had better be on the truck and working/enabled!

Mark
Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Are you sure about this???

I don't think it is true my truck has Sentry and they never said it had to be activated.
why would they list it as standard equipment on the sticker but then make you activate it?? Makes no sense
if they are listing features that need to be enabled you would think they would show the high idle/PTO and "key off-accessory power on" on the sticker too.
If it's on the sticker then it had better be on the truck and working/enabled!

Mark
I will check into it, but that is how it was in my case. Maybe it just wasn't standard on mine (I had keyless remote entry that I know of FOR SURE, but maybe Sentry Security had to be enabled). Don't let me say that if Sentry Security is standard on ya'll trucks that it is something that has to be enabled, because it may just be something that I had to do with my truck...but I DO recall having to wait a few minutes for them to activate mine ?

Derek
Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 PM

If you don't think your truck has it......go get a regular key cut.

See how long you truck runs.....I bet 2 sec.

I wish I could deactivate mine. I had two chipped key blanks cut along with an unchipped one.

I travel with no less than three keys on or in the truck at all times. I don't want to ever have to be towed to the dealer to have keys made and programed.....especially since where I like to go, there isn't TV or radio reception let alone a dealer.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
If you don't think your truck has it......go get a regular key cut.

See how long you truck runs.....I bet 2 sec.

I wish I could deactivate mine. I had two chipped key blanks cut along with an unchipped one.

I travel with no less than three keys on or in the truck at all times. I don't want to ever have to be towed to the dealer to have keys made and programed.....especially since where I like to go, there isn't TV or radio reception let alone a dealer.
I agree....
I would love to be able to deactivate mine, first off we just don't get vehicles stolen up here much, and I bet more than two thirds of them sitting in the parking lots are not only unlocked, the keys are in them and they are running
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Mine lists the Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System on my build sheet. I have not had a blank cut to check and see if it is turned on or not, guess I will have to do that. You would think that it would be an automatic turn-on deal with all the car/truck theft going on these days, but I guess they have to make money somehow, the 40G's+ that we pay for these vehicles to drive them off the lot just must not be enough $$$'s to suit them.

My insurance company DOES give me a discount for the system. Would it not be a hoot if someone stole the truck using the ignition because it was not turned on? Bet there would be some liability from DC as far as the insurance company was concerned if this scenario was proven to be true.

CD
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Now I am confused… (Not that it takes much to do).
If we may or may not have to pay to have the system activated… Then why can we not have it turned off as well?
I too go into places where a tow could not even think about going. Not to mention if I always have to carry extra keys in the truck in case I loose mine, some knucklehead still breaks into the truck and drives off with my spare keys.

Jim
Old 01-16-2007, 02:03 PM

Smile

I don't see the big deal. Just buy a pair of transpodered keys off Ebay. Use your original two and program the new two keys (don't forget, you need to get them cut first--they ship 'em as blanks). Then put one in a magnetic key lock on the truck somewhere, and keep the other at home.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I pet my truck from time to time....

If the chipped keys are in fact "activated" from the factory, can I still install an aftermarket security system in line with the Sentry system? Or, would it interfere with it and cause possible problems; or for that matter even be needed in addition to/or in place of the factory system? Which would be the best security setup?

Quick Reply: Sentry Security Key on ALL 2006's?