3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Seatbelt Reminder

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seatbelt Reminder

Has anyone else had trouble deactivating their seatbelt reminder chime????? I have tried following the directions in the owners manual several times and the d*mn thing keeps going off for the first 2 or 3 minutes of my trip. To shut it up, I normally just put my belt on. (which is what it is for, I know) but I plow snow, which requires me to get out of the truck quite a bit to refil salt spreader, clean up debris and this chime would drive me nuts.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:36 AM
LCH

I went by the manual and it took a couple of tries but did work. I always wear my belt when on the road but when moving trailers and equipment around on the jobsite and out in the pasture I can't stand it in the way and I sure can't take that chime! The only advice I could give is be very careful where your not using it. I worked at TRW for several years and we built airbags, they're designed to work with your belt and will hurt you bad if they deploy and your out of position in the seat . I've seen alot of them set off for testing and they come out with alot of force. They work off a few sensors out front and the force of banging into something with the plow if you hit it hard enough could set them off. And sure don't let unrestrained children ride in the passenger side, the angle of the bag can hit them in the forehead and break they're neck. Sorry if thats alot of information you did'nt need, could'nt let it go without telling you just in case . Keep trying, I'm sure it'll work.. LCH
Old 08-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Banned

i just did mine last week you have to follow the directions word for word but you have to plug the seat belt in exactly three times, not more like it says. keep trying youll get it
Old 08-20-2005, 11:36 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

can you not jsut unplug it under the seat like most vehicles?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:13 PM
dgm

...or just plug the middle seat belt into yours. I couldnt' get the chime to stop either.

-daniel
Old 08-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned

do a search for seat belt chime and you will find out alot of info on what to do.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:18 PM

I just plugged the middle seatbelt into mine....as I could not figure out the manual proceedure either.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:30 PM

Yeah, you can plug the middle belt in, cut the wire, all that sort of stuff, BUT, if you follow the owner's manual instructions exactly, you will be able to turn the chime off. There are too many of us who have done it successfully for it to be rocket science. As a previous poster mentioned, plug ang unplug the belt exactly three times. The manual says three or more. Don't do it more, do it three times. It works.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can't "cut the wire" or "unplug" the harness. When the seatbelt is fastened, it completes the circuit to ground. If the owner's manual procedure doesn't work you need to either use the center seatbelt or install a jumper wire between the two wires in the harness under the seat.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:57 PM

You could probably get the dealer to turn it off for you.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:41 AM
JR1

I had the same problem, just do like Robert P says and follow the manual word for word, plug and unplug (3 times) no more no less, worked for me, (the 20th) time

hehehe
Old 08-22-2005, 05:36 PM

I have tried what the owner's manual says 16 times now. I will keep trying 'cause it sounds like many others had trouble and it took numerous tries. I wear my seatbelt 90% of the time and I know it is the law in most states, but this is ridiculous.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:53 PM

It's a pita, but it can be done -- get in and fasten seatbelt -- start truck(seems to work better) -- unfasten and refasten exactly three times ending with the belt fasten -- turn truck off completely - you should hear 1 chime then your done. Took me several tries to get but starting the truck seem to do the trick. Good luck
Old 08-22-2005, 07:12 PM

Re: Seatbelt Reminder

Originally posted by johnny1509
Has anyone else had trouble deactivating their seatbelt reminder chime????? I have tried following the directions in the owners manual several times and the d*mn thing keeps going off for the first 2 or 3 minutes of my trip. To shut it up, I normally just put my belt on. (which is what it is for, I know) but I plow snow, which requires me to get out of the truck quite a bit to refil salt spreader, clean up debris and this chime would drive me nuts.
I think the directions are on page 41-42 of your owners manual.Put your seat belt on,turn ing. key on,put your seat belt on and off 3 times within a 10 second period.Turn ing. key off and wait for chime.Should be a done deal.coobie
Old 08-23-2005, 04:24 PM

After about 40 tries, it finally worked. As far as I can tell, I did everything the same each time........it was a PITA, but it's done.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Reminder