3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

seat mod the easy way

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up seat mod the easy way

i just did the seat mod and it only took 5 minutes a seat. no need to take seat out of truck or take the springs out..

start by putting seat all the way forward to gain access to the side of the seat that is toward the middle. cut 2" foam padding avail from any fabric store to 17" square. push down on seat upholstery with one hand and with the other pull down on the fabric strip and plastic clip, roll the plastic clip away from the medal seat frame. do this to the two sides and front of seat. lift up upholstery and put foam on top of seat frame and springs. pull opholstery back into position and roll clips back onto the frame like they were before... this was super quick and improves the seat in a huge way. oh by the way remove the seat tilt lever and power seat bezel before removing fabric, the power seat controls will fit through cut out in fabric. hope this helps and prevent more guys getting hurt. i hope the guy that got stitches is doing ok.............
Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 PM

Just read this post an hour ago, straight to walmart for foam,back and did drivers seat . Took me 15 minutes but was worth it.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 PM

what is the purpose of this mod ,,sorry for a stupid question
Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by TrinityTrucking
what is the purpose of this mod ,,sorry for a stupid question
Most of us think the seat is a little hard. There is only 1/2 inch padding on mine from the factory so I added 2 inches on mine and it is like a new seat.

My legs would fall asleep after 100 plus mile trip
Old 08-04-2007, 11:13 PM

the padding is supperthin. on long trips the seat frame puts pressure on your glutus maximus and can cause your leg to get "tingly" or fall asleep. the extra padding gives protection from the seat frame.............
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was pretty much walking out of the dodge dealership after changing my mind on buying one because the SLT's I drove had uncomfortable seats. I couldn't get comfortable in the truck. Luckily though I stubled across a Laramie and the seats were acceptable. Someone just test drove it and I asked if I could test drive it too.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:39 AM

I have the leather and they are as comfortable as can be..... I'm glad I made that choice after reading all these types of posts...
Old 08-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Will this method work for the 06 & 07 cloth style seats as well? I was just wondering because mine are uncomfortable as well.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:54 AM

Is there a big difference between leather and cloth as to how mcuh padding they put in and a big difference in comfort?

Also can you do this mod with leather? Mine are ok but if I can make them a little better I will.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My '06 has leather. After lengthy drives my butt and legs were killing me. I've added carpet and a piece of foam to the driver's seat. Plan on a trip in about 2 weeks to try it out. I bought a foam pad that's used under a camping sleeping bag from Wally World (about $6) for the foam. Have plenty left for the pass. seat if it works out.

Dan
Old 08-05-2007, 12:40 PM

stumpjumper, I wish you would have posted this a little earlier yesterday. It would have saved me some time and effort.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:31 PM

Do U put it between the fabric & factory foam or under factory foam on top of the springs? TIA
Old 08-05-2007, 04:30 PM

Well, maybe it's because I only weigh 185 lbs but I drove all the way to Mississippi from DC a few months ago and I was quite comfortable for the whole trip there and back. Maybe it was because I had to stop and fuel up every 300 miles due to pulling my trailer. It gave me a chance to stretch out every few hours......
Old 09-17-2007, 08:38 PM

wow i just read this post and went right out to get 2 inch foam pad and fixed my seats what a differance. i hated my seats so much i was ready to get rid of the truck now they are great. thanks

2006 q.c. 4x4 s.b. 5.9L all stock dark blue 13000 miles on it.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 PM

I still don't understand how you did it... I have read your post (the first post) and don't quite "get it"

I pulled the seat.. pulled the springs (cut myself badly in the process) added foam etc... re-assembled and it's still inadequate.

I plan on doing it again... Are you saying you can remove the cloth from above the factory padding, then add the new foam above the metal frame?

You push the upholstery but not the cover ... How? your hand under the cover? How can you get your hand in there to press it down so you can release the clips to get your hand in between in the first place?

I will print and bring out to the truck in the AM ... maybe I will understand better there, and after some sleep.

I want to add foam ABOVE the factory foam, not under the foam above the wires as it's not wide enough to get coverage on top of the ridged frame rails that are the culprit.

However you did it, it sounds much better than the posted FIX... for now I have a 2" thick foam pad in a fake sheep skin "pillow case" with the opening flap slid in between the base and the back... it's just flopping there. (in addition to the painful "Fix"... Better and I made two 24 hour trips 1040 miles each way. 23+ MPG one way, and 22.4 Mpg the way back

Smarty on #9. It made passing on Trans Canada 17 a blast.

I made it from Swanton, VT to Munising, MI on one tank! ... I drove from Keene, NH to Big Bay, MI for work/vacation. My first LONG haul after all my mods.

The Hubs and GV OD gained me about 5 MPG (4.5 to 5 mpg) I was lucky to ever see 18 mpg w/o the changes (*if* I drove under 65). If I was driving at 70-75 MPH I would see more like 16 .. MAYBE 17 Mpg pre mods.

w/o them the truck was unacceptable for me for what I wanted it for.

The GV overdrive sure was useful on those long open flats.....

Quick Reply: seat mod the easy way