3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Seat belt warning chime - driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat belt warning chime - driving me nuts!

Anyone ever have a seat belt warning chime that would not go off?. I have already bypassed the seatbelt buckle switch and eliminated that as a possibility. However intermitantly while driving the warning lamp and chime will come on in the instrument cluster. I am going to pull the cluster out tonight and check the wiring, just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before?...
Old 03-21-2008, 08:25 AM

is this with the seatbelt ON?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 AM

yes, and i even removed the wires from the buckle switch and bypassed the switch, it was ok for a while and then the problem returned.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there is a way to turn off the seat belt chime- i did it four years ago when i bought my truck. found the instructions on this site- but is has been so long i can't remember. something like- sit in the truck with the seat belt on. turn key to on, then unbuckle and rebuckle seat belt three times- i am sure another member knows/remembers the trick.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 AM

Yea, i need to try that, i will have to check the owners manual
Old 03-21-2008, 11:34 AM

its in the owners manual. something like turn key on, buckle seat belt 3 times and turn the key off........end of chime
Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by checkster
its in the owners manual. something like turn key on, buckle seat belt 3 times and turn the key off........end of chime
Yep, something like that...just did mine a night or 2 ago, but it's still in the garage and haven't tested if it worked or not...there's a lot of random stuff you can do on these trucks I've found...just need some magic chicken bones for the most part.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 PM

very cool just did it worked perfect
put key in ignition
buckle in
turn key to on
wait for seatbelt light to go out
unbuckle and buckle at least three times ending buckled in(within 10 seconds)
turn key to off
truck will chime once
done.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:14 AM

Take a hammer and beat on the dash untill it goes away! My bully dog has it so you can turn it off.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM

Here is what it says in the manual. This is from the 05 but I assume 06 is the same also.

NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or Start position. DaimlerChrysler does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and buckle the driver's seat belt.

2. Start the engine and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver's seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn off the engine. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ian515
is this with the seatbelt ON?
If this is with the seat belt on then you have errornous dash ding. There is a TSB out for the 03 model years that have this problem that I know of. Just check out this site (http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html) and click on your model year and do a search errornous dash dings.

Anther thing, have you check for trouble codes? Most parts stores will read codes for little or no fee.

Shawn
Old 03-26-2008, 03:25 PM

If you messed with the wires I bet that's where your problem is. You'll probably need to hook everything back up to do what people mentioned above.

I've done this on both my trucks the first week I had them. Annoying when you want to drive up the driveway or through a field and the thing is dinging at you.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Now if I could just turn it of when the key is in, radio is on and the door is open. . Maybe if I knew where it was I could just drill it or glue it or.........
Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 AM

Jumpering it under the seat works fine forever. If it came back then the jumper came off somewhere. The nice thing about the jumper is that the light goes off on the dash and it also gets rid of the reverse honk with door open.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Raspy
Now if I could just turn it of when the key is in, radio is on and the door is open. . Maybe if I knew where it was I could just drill it or glue it or.........
I am with you on this one. It is a real pain....

Quick Reply: Seat belt warning chime - driving me nuts!