3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

seat belt prisoner

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seat belt prisoner

My wife finds that the seatbelt in the passenger seat of our 2007 3500 quad cab locks up way too easily. She will lean ahead to reach the radio or something on the dash and can't cause she tied tight in place by the seat belt. The drivers side is not a problem at all. Does anyone else have this problem? Do they make that side more sensitive to forward movement or do I have a bad one???

================================================== ===

2007 3500 4X4 quad long box srw 6sp jake brake bright white
Tows 2003 36ft Montana 5th like it's a kids toy
Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM

I have this same problem with my 2007 in the rear seats. While the truck is not even started. Trying to get the little one strapped into his booster seat and the seat belt in the middle locks and will not come loose - get frustrated to the point where I just move the booster to the side seats and strap him in there.... drives me nuts sometimes...
Old 03-20-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats why they put controls for the radio on the steering wheel and not the passenger dash. The passenger is not to touch the radio ,its by design. Sorry I was no help to you.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought that was new option? The radio station protection lock?

The middle rear seat is the only one I have experienced it on, and that I attribute to the angle I am reaching at from outside the truck (carseat).
Old 03-20-2007, 05:29 PM

My driver side does it and it bugs the heck outta me! Especially when it's an emergency reach for your sun glasses sliding across the dash or something, I've broken my collar bone more than once.

oh well...............between that and the outta park horn I guess Dodge is watching out for us.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:29 PM

this has happened to my on my 06. it kept locking up on a buddy of mine. it has been being good lately, lets hope it stays that way.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Truckman0097
I have this same problem with my 2007 in the rear seats. While the truck is not even started. Trying to get the little one strapped into his booster seat and the seat belt in the middle locks and will not come loose - get frustrated to the point where I just move the booster to the side seats and strap him in there.... drives me nuts sometimes...
X2 on that.. I get so peod!!! I just wanna throw something... Yeah I have a temper... 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. oaaaah much better!!

Originally Posted by tomm
My driver side does it and it bugs the heck outta me! Especially when it's an emergency reach for your sun glasses sliding across the dash or something, I've broken my collar bone more than once.

oh well...............between that and the outta park horn I guess Dodge is watching out for us.
That darn honking is just wrong... I'm usually backing up to a trailer once a day and of course I am a redneck with the door open and looking back and HONK HONK HONK!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:50 PM

Yeah my 2005 does the same thing.

I been doing some research in my 2005 Dodge Service Manual on compact disc about it. According to the service manual the seat belt tensioner is going into child saftey seat mode. What this means is the seats are set up so you could put a child seat in the front of the truck on the passengers side. However, since our trucks are equipt with the full frontal air-cushions , it is sin to do such a thing with out the air-cushion disabler installed . And to disable this you are to disengage the seat belt and allow the belt to retract and then repull the belt and listen for clicking noises to confirm either disengagement or engagement of the child mode.

Another thing our trucks have a kinetic sensor in the seat or cab and this sensor is sending a signal to the cotrol mechanism built into the seat belt tensioner. Telling the tensioner to restrain the passenger from leaning to far forward. Which is to prevent your passenger from having their heads smashed by the air bag and surrounding air bag housing when inflating during an accident or crash. However, this condition is to only be triped by incident requiring the kinetic sensor to control the tensioner. If there is a problem, then the Dealer's Star Tool should throw a code. Meaning you could take this to the dealer and have them check your belts by using their Star Tool.

I also believe there is a TSB out for the seat belts, but could not remember the number or if it was only for certain model years.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Shawn
Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine will do the same thing when it feels like it.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:44 AM

Thanks Catdiesel 762. This is what I was hoping for. We will try listening for the clicking sounds, and if that don't solve the prob, we at least have something to get our dealer tech thinking.

================================================== ======

2007 3500 4X4 quad long box srw 6sp jake brake bright white
Tows 2003 36ft Montana 5th like it's a kids toy
Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM

Not a problem.

Let us know how it all works out.

Shawn