3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Seat belt not fastened warning dinger

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat belt not fastened warning dinger

Has anyone figured out how to disable that **** seatbelt not fastened dinger yet? I don't mind it on the highway but I everytime I move my truck around the yard it sets it off so I have to listen to it the entire time I'm hookin
up my trailer or loading the back. Cycling the key works but I'd rather not crank this thing over all the time just to satisfy a buzzer.

I think if the door is left open it turns off after 30 secs or so but how about if it takes a higher rpm to trigger it?

I'd remove the buzzer altogether but the headlight warning has saved me a few times now.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Unplug it and short the two contact on the truck side of the wiring together with a paper clip, piece of wire, etc. Seatbelt suck. Period. Guess I should say, it worked on my 2nd gen. Not sure about your 3rd, but look at it and see if that helps.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:27 PM

look in your owners manual and there is a procedure to disable it-----I did it to mine, but cant remember exactly how-I think you put on seat belt, then start truck, then in max of ten secods you latch and unlatch seatbelt three time and you get one ding saying that it was successful
Old 09-15-2006, 03:41 PM

Ya take a look in you owners manual there is a procedure for doing it I had the same problem when hookin & unhookin stuff in the yard or driveway
Old 09-16-2006, 02:52 PM

The procedure in the owner's manual does work. I believe it says three or more times to hook/unhook. Do the more. I've read posts by folks who swear they did three & it didn't work. Others say more works fine. I really don't remember how many I did, but I assure you that it CAN be done. & no shorting of contacts, hooking the belt behind you, etc is necessary or really desireable. Do it the right way.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for telling me about the procedure in the owner's manual!! Read this thread last night and tried it today - works great! Wish I would have found out sooner - I've been cussing that dinger for almost a year since the day I bought the truck. Man is this forum helpful - I love it.

Guess they tell you to read the entire owners manual before operating the truck for a reason.............oops.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 PM

Yep, that worked great. I was gonna move it over onto the passenger side so my girlfriend would be forced to wear hers more often but this was way easier. Besides what would I have done when I had no passenger?

P.S. My truck never came with a manual...So thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 PM

That was the first thing I did to my truck when I bought it. I hate those annoying dings.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:44 AM

not sure if it works on any other years but i plugged my center seat belt into the drivers side ...the nice thing about this is that you lose the warning light on the dash as well as the ding
Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 AM

I did not lose the warning light, just the ding, light works just like it should.
On when not buckled off when.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:12 AM

The problem with connecting the middle belt to your latch is that it throws off the timing of the airbag. A friend of mine is a commercial driver and they had a seminar on safety done by some California Highway guys. They told him that alot of people have been seriously hurt because the airbag doesn't deploy instantly when the belt is latched. It holds for a split second before deploying figuring you will be slowed by the belt. So if you Do NOT have the belt around you but it is latched, the system thinks you are belted in, holds the airbag and you get catapulted forward before the airbag deploys. I choose to hear the ding and have the airbag deploy when I need it. I may be wrong on this but at least wanted to pass it on just in case it is true.