3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Scratched Tailgate....Options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratched Tailgate....Options?

Last night I was loading something in the bed and I put some pretty deep scratches on the inside of the tailgate door. The scratches went down to the the primer and in some cases the bare metal.

Obviously I wouldn't want to paint the tailgate, but would like to prevent rust and make the scratches less obvious (if possible).

I'm getting a cap and bedrug so I won't be getting a spray in liner, but thought maybe getting the tailgate sprayed by itself would be an option?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

TIA
Old 06-30-2006, 10:10 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id say take it off and forget about it but your getting a cap. If you have napa store there I belive they have little pens that you can match your paint code with and pretend your 4 again and color the scratches away I have been meaning to do this with some of the scratchs on my truck
Old 06-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

What part of the tailgate is it, because the majority of that gate on the inside will screw off so you can access the inside hardware. If this is the case you could probably pick up that piece new and replace it.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
What part of the tailgate is it, because the majority of that gate on the inside will screw off so you can access the inside hardware. If this is the case you could probably pick up that piece new and replace it.
I'm at work now so can't see, but the scratches are near the top of the tailgate.

Would the new piece be available painted?

I'm sure after spending the money for the part and getting it painted I would better off touching it up and/or getting just the tailgate sprayed with Line-X or something would be a better idea?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:19 AM

That have some pretty long tailgate covers out there. You might be able to put one on there that looks like the Chevy and cover up the majority of them.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LanceK
I'm at work now so can't see, but the scratches are near the top of the tailgate.
Check out different brands of caps. Depending on how close to the top of the tailgate it is, it is possible that a cap could cover it. I put a cap on mine after bumping into the kingpin of my fiver (I know, dumb . . . dumb - but it was at night and I SWORE I could clear it - WRONG!!!!). Anyway, check out the Bushwacker brand. Now that I think of it, it goes much further down on the outside than inside. But, there must be a way . . . I think LineX is a good choice.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM

I know it is our truck, but if I were you, I would not worry about it. it is a truck after all and scratched like that show that you actually use your truck. Adds character.

If you reall wish to spend the time to get rid of it, the pens mentioned above will work pretty good.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Are you serious? You have a scratch in your bed, I promise it will not be the last. It's a truck for crying out loud. Forget it, if the scratch was on the door I would be worried.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Time for a new truck!
Old 06-30-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jasco
Are you serious? You have a scratch in your bed, I promise it will not be the last. It's a truck for crying out loud. Forget it, if the scratch was on the door I would be worried.
Easy now. I realize it's a truck, and yes it has some scratches on the bottom of the bed already which I don't mind and expect.

But it is brand new (3 weeks), and these are very deep. I'm most concerned about rust especially since I'll be covering it with a bedrug and won't be able to monitor it.

I'll probably try a pen and possibly some Line-X if the price is right.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by jwooden
Time for a new truck!
Now you're talking!

Just doesn't smell the same after 3 weeks....
Old 06-30-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by TRC51
That have some pretty long tailgate covers out there. You might be able to put one on there that looks like the Chevy and cover up the majority of them.
I cant find one of them chevy looking "spoiler " tailgate covers. Anyone have any better luck??
Old 06-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id say either get it sprayed with spray on bed liner or touch it up. I just bought one of those "pen" touch up deals, and it works alright. It also has the brush in there like the older style. Another option is the do it yourself bedliner kits you can get at Auto Zone. They come in aerosal cans and in a "paint" can. The bottom line is, you need some corrosion control, especially if you plan on putting a cap/cover on it. But, im like everyone else, its a truck, and not only that, the bed. Id be less worried about looks than I would about stopping the rust. Hope you get it worked out.

Matt Sandt
Old 06-30-2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by triplenickle
I cant find one of them chevy looking "spoiler " tailgate covers. Anyone have any better luck??
Shoot me a PM. I might be able to help.

Wait... are PM's turned off?
Old 07-02-2006, 05:38 PM

Sand them all the way smooth and shoot it with some spray paint. especially if its inside under a cover and then under the bedrug....it wont rust!