3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Saw an '06 Dually on the lot yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I drove by my local dealer, and saw a black one in person. HorseHauler is right, they do look much better in person than in the photos on the internet.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
What am I missing? I don't see that much difference (thank goodness).

BlindBob
Old 07-31-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im liking the look of the real thing a lot better too.. but I don't know that I like the idea of a mega cab, without the option of a long bed on top of that still.. but If I was in the market, Id buy an 06 quad cab long bed in a heartbeat.
Scott
Old 07-31-2005, 10:13 PM

Wow! Those headlights are a good portion of the fender. I wonder if manufacturers feel like they have to come up with some sort of change for the new model year to entice buyers. Over all, it's really not that much of a change.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:30 AM

So they still offer the Quad Cab w/longbed or shortbed for 2006 in addition to the the Mega Cab then? Obviously this is a pic of a long bed 3500 without the mega cab extension it appears.
Nat
I wonder why the Cummins logo is above and left of center of the Ram logo? Even on the Dodge website the mega cab shows the Cummins logo that way and it seems to detract to me.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:34 PM

Pretty funny thread. There's plenty of crow to go around so please, only one at a time. Ever since the first pictures came out, people both on here and TDR were saying how ugly they were and they "Dakota-ized" it, etc., etc. and now that people are seeing the real thing, everything has completely turned around. Just like I knew, and said, it would.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:10 AM

Whoa wait a minute big fella. The jury is still out on that one. I for one still think the headlight assemblies are ugly and so are the Durango's. I'm sure I won't be buying a 2006 model so I can be honest here. The 2006 grill now extends all the way to the bumper so there is no more gap between the bumper and grill and that is a good thing. But the curved bottom grill and the bug-eye headlights coming up behind me make me want to gag.
Nat
Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

No eating crow here. Count me in the minority also. I hated the first Mega Cab pictures that came out. I was pretty vocal about it as I remember. I finally went by the dealership and looked at the new 06 HD and still hate it. It resembles a Dakota (which is the absolute ugliest truck made). I haven’t seen the Mega Cab yet but I can’t stand the extra space behind the rear doors from the outside. So I’m pretty sure I won’t like it either.

The only saving grace to the whole truck is the interior. The interior is really nice.

I guess I won’t be buying another Dodge until they come out with the 4th gen. Body style. Hopefully they will look better.

Britt

Old 08-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by HorseHauler
i must say all the computerizes pictures going around the internet of the new 2006 models don't do any justice to the real thing. im liking the look of that rig right there

Agreed. All the pics I saw if it to date made it look TERRIBLE.

But I have to admit, I like the new styling. Maybe even more than the 03-05 style!!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Saw an '06 Dually on the lot yesterday

Originally posted by dgm
It was stickered for 48K.

-daniel
I hope this doesn't mean that Dodge has decided to follow in Ford and Chevy's footsteps and jack the price of their trucks way up. $48K is RIDICULOUS.

As far as looks...I'm with T-7. I still don't like it. I haven't seen the interior, but I wouldn't be able to get past the exterior so it doesn't really matter.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:14 PM

So far, I kinda like the look...but not the price tag! I'm reserving final judgement when I see one on the road.

I'd have to wait and buy a 2006 after the newness has worn off and they are back to discounting when the 2007's start hitting the lots in 12 months.

So, what's behind the new headlight lens? Is that a separate high & low beam reflector design? Hope they have improved the light output substantially.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 AM

It has the same touches of the Durango inside.

It has virtually the same headlights of the Durango/Dakota

This is the "style" that the D-C engineers are going.....why...I have no idea.

Customers alllllllllllll day long will pay top dollar for the old body style Durango's, but even with rebates and EP, we still can't give the new Dakota's/Durangos away.

I saw one today in person. Ehh....its better than owning a 6.0L Ford and its better than the Chevy front, but the 03-05 are much better looking. Plus the new Cummins badge is a tad to darn big and right in the middle of the fender, like someone just slapped it on there by mistake.

Funny thing is.........a buddy of mine wanted a Ford...key word..WANTED. Well went with him over to Ford tonight to drive a 6.0L 4x4 Crew Cab, Lariat $48,000 bucks, 23 miles.....less than 1 mile from the dealership........IT FLAT OUT STALLED.....and would not restart. Needless to say, he wants a Dodge now.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:43 PM

Very minor changes, in my opinion. It looks pretty darn good but I don't like the silver color. It reminds me of the "driftwood" panels on my 95 1500. Eventually the "driftwood" turned to " custom primer".

It's nowhere near in the same league as the Chevy for butt ugliness. The Chevy's are in a class almost of their own. Only the Aztek and Avalanche rank as uglier.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by Lee S

It's nowhere near in the same league as the Chevy for butt ugliness. The Chevy's are in a class almost of their own. Only the Aztek and Avalanche rank as uglier.
Man.... I don't know about that. I resembles the Dakota which is the ugliest truck made today. I used to think the Aztek and the Avalanche were the ugliest but the Dakota takes the prize. Heck my father even owns a Avalanche (yeah... don't think that I don't give him grief about it either) but it is nowhere in the same ugly league as the Dakota.

The front of the new Rams are UGLY. That is all there is to it. I guess they are trying to follow Chevys mistake and it looks as if they are doing a good job. I won't be buying one anytime soon. Since I have now seen the 06 in person and still don't like it, I can't imagine that i will like the looks of the Mega Cab anymore. I have hated it since the first pictures came out and I don't think I will change my mind.

Like I have said in the past though. The interior of the 06 is very nice. But that is the only saving grace. Not enough for me to buy one.

Britt

Old 08-03-2005, 04:42 PM

So, what's behind the new headlight lens? Is that a separate high & low beam reflector design? Hope they have improved the light output substantially.

I thought the same. But it looks like the 03-05 design..one whole reflector for the turn signal the other for the headlight.

Quick Reply: Saw an '06 Dually on the lot yesterday