3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Satelite radio antenna blocked by camper

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satelite radio antenna blocked by camper

Anybody have any idea how to unplug the antenna on the truck and add a antenna that would be placed on top of my 12' Vacationeer camper. What a waste having paid $200 for the satelite radio. I talked to the Dodge dealer and they did not have a clue. Also I don't want it mounted on the hood or up by the grill, as the camper will just block it there also. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
It also depends on the direction you travel. For a satellite antenna to work it has to "see" the satellite. Need more info on the camper, is it a bumper pull or what? I honesly don't see how a camper could block the antenna from the satellite unless it is one that sits in the bed.

One option I can think of is to cut the antenna cable and put a connector on it. Put in an RF switch and put the OEM antenna on one side of it. Install a second antenna on the camper roof and run it to the RF switch when you have the camper.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Need more info on the camper, is it a bumper pull or what? I honesly don't see how a camper could block the antenna from the satellite unless it is one that sits in the bed.
As far as us old timers are concerned:

Camper:
portable housing that sits in the bed of the truck, main sleeping quarters hangs over the cab of said truck.

Trailer:
portable housing that is pulled behind a truck, has 1-3 sets of wheels, and either bumper pull, 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch is used.

phox
Old 01-10-2006, 08:05 PM

The factory Sirius radio receiver is mounted way up high under the dash left of the brake and clutch peddles to a bracket that shares a bolt with the wiring harness block. The antenna unplugs there and another antenna could be plugged in. There's only two cables to the receiver. One goes to the head unit and the other with a soft rubber sleave goes to the antenna. PITA to get to but there it is. I considered mounting mine on my hood up toward the windshield as I go in some parking garages that barely clear the roof as it is. Now I won't go in them since I put the antenna in it's factory location. I don't see why a "Best Buy" or "Circuit City" antenna couldn't be mounted to the top of your camper and run to the factory receiver unless the plug is different. Two wires to the antenna... They aren't shielded or twisted.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:59 PM

so it sounds like the wires could be cut and spliced? That would be the easiest with some connectors so it could be reconnected once the camper comes off. Yep, cabover in the bed pickup camper.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:12 PM

It would appear that way but my knowledge of the Sirius radio receiver and antenna began on Christmas day and goes as deep as the installation itself. Better to ask the fine folks at your local audio expert outlet than let me lead you into the darkness of deep fried Sirius radio land... I've been known to cause some expensive damage to electronic equipment that began with a "fsssst" followed by "uh-oh"...
Old 01-11-2006, 06:38 PM

Best Buy has an antenna kit for sirrus. I think you could put another antenna on top of the camper and run an extention cable from your present antenna cable to it. when you remove the camper just unplug extention and plug back into the original antenna