3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rustproofing/soundproofing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rustproofing/soundproofing

I'm curious what the general opinion is regarding rustproofing. <br><br>The trucks that we are all ordering are quite an investment for us. I normally keep my trucks for 8 to 10 years so protecting against rust is a major consideration. When I bought my last truck it was just automatic that you would get it rustproofed. This time around I'm getting a lot of advice to NOT rustproof. (some are calling it soundproofing now) I live in South East Michigan and we always have salt on the roads throughout the winter. Many people are telling me now that rustproofing causes more problems than it's worth and with the way the trucks are built today and with a factory rust through warrenty it's just a waste of money. I would appreciate any comments that would help me decide on this one. This is a decision that needs to be made correctly up front so that down the road I won't find out I made the wrong choice when it is to late to do anything about it.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:46 AM

Re:Rustproofing/soundproofing

Just my .02. ;D (and worth the price!)

I too live in a region where huge amounts of salt are poured on the roads in the winter. Yet, rustproofing is not a big thing here. It just has not been shown to be effective.

I think the main problem with aftermarket rustproofing is there's just no way to get the kind of penetration and coverage needed for it to be effective. Even the best aftermarket companies cannot possibly get their product into every nook and cranny. And, they're usually sealing up weep/drain holes which can actually accelerate the rusting process.

Add to all that the fact the auto makers have gotten pretty darn good at rustproofing right from the factory (except for all the bare metal under our trucks - heh heh heh).

Best to y'all
Bill
Old 01-21-2003, 11:36 AM

I grew up in the north suburbs of Detroit 20-30 years ago with vehicles being &quot;Zeibart'ed&quot;. I don't think the vehicles were designed or built with rustproofing in mind back in those years. Thats not official, but from what I learned from family members and friends working at Chevy, Dodge and Ford plants. I do remember watching the rolled steel haulers passing in front of my grandma's house in Hamtramck heading to the MOPAR plants and seeing the grossly rusting rolls of steel onboard.<br><br>The OEM's finally figured it out and have made great strides in rust proofing. I agree that its probably a waste of your money to invest in aftermarket rustproofing.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:53 PM

I'd like to simplify my question. Is rustproofing/soundproofing necessary or is it just a waste of money? Does rustproofing/soundproofing harm anything or cause problems?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:03 PM
DPG

I think that the rusproofing part could be more harmful than helpful, and there are more effective ways to soundproof. JMHO. I have been collecting ideas on soundproofing, and if you would like copies just e-mail me.<br><br>DeWain
Old 01-24-2003, 08:28 AM

u want to prevent rust.. The only product to use is Por15. Once on never off, life time guarntee. Stops rust that has already started. I do not know of any shops using it, but you can do it your self kits from them. They are like $150 for the whole kit. They have them for the interior and exterior. How long u plan on keeping this truck. Most of the guys who are posting on here traded there 95 or 97 in for a new one. Rust usually does not start for a while. <br><br>For sound deading material, Dynamat is the only way to go. It is by far the best on the market. it comes in different thicknesses
Old 01-24-2003, 03:07 PM

:P I had a new 1977 camaro. Took it in for Zeibart Rust Proofing. Paid to have extra protection. After 5 years on the streets of Detroit it was so badly rusted the mirrors fell off the doors. I paid it off pulled the eng. trans and diff. scraped the body. I would never use this type of crap again.<br>As stated by wick. Anything you could get and do yourself,<br>just the underside would be the best for two reasons.<br>1 You are doing it ( better job ) 2 Coating applied to the underside only will not cause the drain holes to be pluged and it`s the only surface that need to be protected on today`s cars and trucks. IMO
Old 01-24-2003, 04:37 PM

Wick,<br><br>Please tell me more about this Por15 and Dyanmat. Where can I get information about it?<br><br>I will keep my truck for 8 to 10 years. If I was only keeping it 5 yrs or so I wouldn't even worry about rust problems.<br><br>Thanks,
Old 01-25-2003, 06:14 PM

Drafter,<br><br>Get info on Dynamat at http://www.dynamat.com<br><br>Buy Dynamat at http://www.thezeb.com they have the best prices I have seen.<br><br>Not affiliated with either.<br>
Old 02-03-2003, 06:24 PM

I presently have a 92 - D250 Club cab diesel. Initially put Zeibart on it, then had bad some surface rust after about 6 years. Lots and Lots of salt here(more than anywhere else I have been). Body shop that repaired rust said the best is an oil treatment. Have been using Krown for last 3 years and it seems to keep all the rust at bay.<br>Truck is now 11 years old and no surface rust. Purchased a new 2500 2 days ago and will take delivery in april. You can bet I will have it rust proofed. DC dealer says that it can invalidate warranty if you have a problem with oil in the electrics,so only the factory oil treatment is OK with them. I need to hear if others have used an oil treatment and are happy [undecided]
Old 02-03-2003, 06:45 PM

Sullivad,<br><br>Tell me more about this oil treatment thing you mentioned. I have never heard of this before but would like more information.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:30 PM

Drafter;<br>Krown rustproofing seems only to exist in Canada.<br>http://www.krown.com/<br><br>Basically they drill a number of little holes in safe spots, inject the oil inside the body, under hood, remove the lights spray inside, inside tailgate and of course underneath. My body shop guy says that its the only treatment he knows where you can loosen bolts on old vehicles without great problems..so it seems to work. I have read consumer reports here that say its number one in Canada.<br>Maybe there is something similar in the states. <br> I am still wondering if the Mopar Rustproofing package is any good?
Old 02-04-2003, 11:07 PM

OK first I don't live in snow country. But the Gulf coast does have some good salt air all year long. <br>I have had two vehicles done my Zeibart. One was a 1981 Olds dieseland the second one is my new Dodge Laramie.<br>The first one had no problems with the Zeibart, that's why I did the Dodge. I went all the way rust and soundproof, stain repellant on the interior and their paint sealer treament.<br>I have looked at the krown site and it is very similiar to what Zeibart did this year.<br>The most important item that both systems require is that you come in once every year for a reapplication to continue the warranty. Did you guys that had problems go in every year.??????<br>They do charge you every year, but I look at it as a very good detailing of the entire truck. I also have the truck washed every week. Just me!!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 10:28 AM

My solution...<br><br>Just keep it clean boys.<br><br>High pressure hot wash once a month through the winter by a detail shop will clean the top, bottom, outside, inside and whatever else you can imagine for about 250 bucks and it includes a wash and wax.<br><br>My experience in rustproofing in through restoring cars. The best ones to restore are those that were not rustproofed. Matter of fact, I advise against purchasing cars that are undercoated/rustproofed.