3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

running light blinker mod???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running light blinker mod???

I have the running/ cab lights on my ride and was wondering if anyone figured out an easy way to get the right and or left cab marker light to blink coinciding with the turn signal/ hazzard lights. These are a few feet higher than the turn signals and would offer added visibility over cars in fron and at distance. I am thinking it would require switching the socket for adding a two filament bulb. comments???
Old 02-11-2005, 08:24 PM

Sounds like a good idea and your on the right track. Of course you'd have to run wires from the bcm up to headliner but it sounds like if you can find a socket and bulb combo it would work fine.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:20 AM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
I have a friend in Australia that sent me a set of Hella Ovall LED marker lights for my CTD to use as rocker panel running lights. They are really nice and are new to the market here. These lights look proportionate to the size of our trucks instead of something off of a semi hung on the side of a pickup.

I bought a piece of 1" wide 1/8" thick aluminum stock to mount them on. The four lights I have for each side will fit on there just right. It is 8 feet long and just fits between the front of the cab rocker and the rear fenderwell. I will mount all of the lights to the aluminum and then screw it to the cab lip that hangs down.

I would like to wire this in so they burn as running lights and then blink with the signal. I'm not real electrically inclined so I was wondering how to do this or even if it is possible to do this.

I have plans to put side turn signals on my car trailer also. it is 25' long and I think it needs a set of side signals / flasher lights on it as well.

Here is a lingk to the Hella Oval Side Marker Lights

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/LED_Lighting.asp
Old 02-12-2005, 12:38 PM

I don't think you need another bulb. Just remove the positive lead from the bulb and tuck it away. Then, run a wire to the bulb off of a park/signal light. The cab lights will stay on normally when park lights are on and flash when turning. Cool idea though.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tha way that is done on trailer marker lights is to install a relay powered from the turn signal light, the relay cuts the power from the marker light feed. Technically it is illegal by DOT, but a lot do it and I never heard of anyone getting a ticket. Some trucks have all the additional markers blink witht he signals. This also adds to the effect of the emergency flashers.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mikmaze,
I think I may have a wiring diagram on my home computer that shows how to do this. I'll look for it when I get home.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Banned

and I thought I had a crazy idea, glad it stirred some interest, now I just need to kick my motivation up..... reminds me, I still have to sell my old truck think I ordered a lrge batch of motivation for spring......
Old 02-12-2005, 10:53 PM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
Mike, wasn't trying to hi-jack your thread, it just seemed related to my idea of flashing side markers.

The only thing I wondered is how hard it would be to wire the top outside cab light to do this too. I see no other way than to take down the headliner to access each outside light connection. I really like the idea you had and would like to add this to mine as well.

I hope that RatlinRam has the diagram of how to wire this. I would like to do it at a proper point with the easiest access.

On another note, I wish we had the light on the outside mirror like some of the other brand trucks.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:23 PM

I agree with ProSouth about the signals on the mirrows. I have a friend that siad that next year it would be DOT manditory, but i don't know if that is true or not. The only problem would be is that when they are turned up it would change the loaction unless they were mounted under the arm and not on the light itself. I also wish the spot mirrow were on the bottom of the mirriow when it is down I think it would improve visibility.