3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Running boards OR nerf bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Running boards OR nerf bars

Setting aside personal preferences, are there practical reasons for having one over the other?

Someone told me that nerf bars were more aerodynamic. True?

Trying to decide what to put on the new ride—if it ever comes in—and would appreciate any comments.

jr
Old 03-10-2004, 07:55 AM

Personal prefs between the two? Practical reasons? I bought 4" stainless wheel-2-wheel bars (and larger foot pads) because at the time I thought they looked better on a the taller Dodge than smaller diameter ones. I went with bars because a 2500 Dodge has no side chrome other than the RAM 2500 letters on the front doors. I went stainless because I was already made aware many chrome plated ones rust within 3 years. If I had it to do over I would go with boards instead, for two reasons. 1.Ease of cleaning under the doors. Even with mud flaps, mud gets splattered between the bars and the bottom of the truck causing me to get down on one knee to wash under the doors. 2.More foot room between the surface of the step and the painted parts of the truck. Shoe toe scratches the kick panels. My 2 cents that's all.
Nat
Old 03-10-2004, 08:36 AM

I myself would go with running boards. Thats just me though. First off it will provide some mudflaps for the front and make it easy for you wife or girlfriend and kids to get in the truck. Just my $.05 worth
Old 03-10-2004, 10:03 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
If you are going to stay on the road all the time then I think running boards would be more practical. However if you do any offroading running boards can get damaged easily (depending on the type but the typical ones you see most of time wont take much abuse from underneath. Whereas the nerf bars will provide some protection to the rocker panels etc from rocks logs etc. I personally have the bars but I go offroad. I have actually slid off rocks on the nerf bars no way a typical running board would handle that.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the WAAG wheel-to-wheel bars on my Ford PSD and will put them on my Dodge when I get it. I like the way they look, perform and especially (even moreso now with the height of the 4x4) the improved access to the bed.

Neil
Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 PM

I didn't like any of the running boards or nerf-type bars currently available, so I fabricated a set myself out of 2"x4" tube steel. They are coated with line-x and fastened solidly to the frame. They are solid enough to jack the truck up with, and they look great.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:24 PM

I went with Westin Oval Tube Steps. They are 5" wide and provide adequate protection similar to a running board. I've only had them for about 2 weeks, I'll be curios to see if I get snow and ice packed between the steps and the body, hope not. They are chromed aluminum. Take a look in my gallery for photos.

Good Luck
Old 03-10-2004, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up

Lots of good input. Thanks to everyone for helping with my education. This type of forum is a real gift for the inexperienced like me.

Anyone have any safety concerns about the space between truck body and nerf bars? Someone suggested that this is a potential hazard for old folks and young folks who might slip a foot through the space and fracture a bone.

jr
Old 03-10-2004, 06:42 PM

I also have the westin oval tube step rails on my '03. Mine are black powdercoated and have performed well over the last year. Initially, I had to slightly modify the mounting brakets because they would rub against the body mount structure but after that, great. I love the extra wide step area and personally think nerf bars or my oval tube steps look better on a truck.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:07 PM

I have nerf, but gook still gets on the body through the gap

I want nerf with powder coated diamond plate or expanded steel on top

summer project
Old 03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Check out my pics for the Bremen board. I think they look great - - blend in with the truck plus has the fender flares as part of the board.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:35 PM

Thumbs up

FiverBob,

Pix look great. How can I find out more?

jr
Old 03-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by jarmar
FiverBob,

Pix look great. How can I find out more?

jr
I got mine thru my local Hitch House along with the exhaust tip and the hitch. I think they are made in Canada. I tried to find their website but all I got was 9880654389 German websites.

Check with someline like a hitch place that also sells accessories and have them look up Bremen for you. They were not cheap, but I sure like them. Keeps dirt and junk off the rockers and lower part of the truck.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:55 PM

I have the Westin Nerf Bars on my truck. They are excellent for helping to get in and out of the truck. I have mudflaps and have noticed very very little dirt/mud getting on the lower part of the door. Plus the chrome makes the truck look much better. Plus the way they attach to the truck- there is no drilling to anything- completely bolt on. They would be easy to remove and install on another Dodge Ram down the road.- if ever need be. I'm not a fan of the painted fiberglass one (i.e ground effect style)- just something to get cracked or scratched....

my .02cents

Old 03-12-2004, 02:07 PM

Here's another thread with some pics of nerf bars.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=39913

Quick Reply: Running boards OR nerf bars