3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rock gaurd advice please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock gaurd advice please!!!

Hello, I have just recently purchased a new boat and am looking to get a rock gaurd to protect the bow from stone chips. I pulled the boat about 40 miles home and already have two small stone chips in the bow. I have seen many guys who are towing RVs with the brush style rock gaurds and have been looking at buying one but cant seem to find them. Are all these homemade? What I would idealy like is something I can install when I pull the boat but can be easily taken off when im not. My other boat was older but had tons of stone chips from being pulled cross country and want to prevent chips before they start now. Any advice on what you guys are using and where to get them is much appriciated.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 PM

http://www.realtruck.com/enkay_rock_...545P1C1T.html#

Kinda like this? I just did a quick search on google for "mud flaps towing" if you dont like these
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How about something like this >>> http://trailer-rockguard.com/
Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks guys, im not much into the whole searching on the internet. Does anyone have any first hand input?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 PM

I had a mudflap bracket made by a local shop. It slips over the drawbar of the hitch and snugs down with a 5/8ths bolt.It comes off when I remove the drawbar from the reciever. Incuding mudflaps for it from napa cost me 80 dollars. Make sure you dont let you mud flaps drag on the ground,or else you will kick up every stone on the road, especially if you are on gravel. about 2" clearance is good when loaded. Also, lots of guys around here have molded plastic bow guards that attach to the boat trailer and work really well at preventing rock chips. Ask your local boat shops, not sure what they cost but probably worth it. Glass is expensive to repair....
Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM

To Original Poster: Princess Auto (Canada) had those "Rock Tamers" on sale last week or two. They seem kinda "out there" for my taste. That and I have a fifth wheel, so I modded my gravel guard to mount to the receiver instead of the ball mount. I, and most friends recomend the "flap" style, over the "brush" style. The brush style really sails at speed, making them sorta not so good. My first unit (for this truck) was a piece of conveyor belting, with a notch for the receiver. It went up behind the bumper, and was 2" wider than the tire edge on each side.
Missed that bow-Buddy. My neighbor has a setup like that on his boat, and seems to like it. I know he has lots of gravel miles on it, along with a flap style gravel guard on the receiver.