3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Road Salt & Rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WE need to CALL and WRITE the CDOT and tell them to STOP using Mag Chloride. We have tens of thousands of dollars invested in our trucks. To have them rust out and the electrical fail within a couple of years is not acceptable!!

There are OTHER products out there that are MUCH less corrosive. We must VOICE our concerns!!

http://www.dot.state.co.us/

CALL, E-MAIL and WRITE THEM!!!!
They changed from MAG CHLORIDE in Aspen and other cities and states to a non-corrosive substance? WHY? The residents (tax payers) complained. Let our voices be heard! Our Ram Trucks will thanks us for it!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
WE need to CALL and WRITE the CDOT and tell them to STOP using Mag Chloride. We have tens of thousands of dollars invested in our trucks. To have them rust out and the electrical fail within a couple of years is not acceptable!!

There are OTHER products out there that are MUCH less corrosive. We must VOICE our concerns!!

http://www.dot.state.co.us/

CALL, E-MAIL and WRITE THEM!!!!
They changed from MAG CHLORIDE in Aspen and other cities and states to a non-corrosive substance? WHY? The residents (tax payers) complained. Let our voices be heard! Our Ram Trucks will thanks us for it!!!
I agree and Thanks for the link ..... I'm gonna bust their chops again over this.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Chicago they spray the salt with calcium chloride before they salt the streets. That stuff is so corrosive it's sickening. The underside of my truck needs help, I just haven't decided what route to take yet....
Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Use the below letter that I typed and send it to the CDOT!

To Whom It May Concern:

As a resident of Colorado, I have researched the issues regarding the use of Magnesium Chloride (Mag) on the streets to assist in snow & ice removal. While the INITIAL research showed Magnesium Chloride to be less corrosive and aid in the removal of snow & ice, it has proved otherwise. Numerous studies and reports show that Magnesium Chloride is MORE corrosive than previously thought.

In 2001, the USDA published an article entitled "Magnesium Chloride as a De-Icing Agent" that stated magnesium chloride led to "corrosion of steel and aluminum poles and pole hardware." Also, a February 2003 Board of Montana Flathead County Commissioners minutes document called "Magnesium Chloride on Roads" on Corrosion-Doctors.org attests to magnesium chloride's corrosiveness on aluminum and steel. In a corrosion comparison done by Colorado D.O.T. and the University of Colorado, it was found that "road salt is more corrosive to the metals than mag chloride on a one time exposure." However, magnesium chloride corrodes over longer periods of time and Greg Fulton, president of the Colorado Motor Carriers Association, said it corroded aluminum on his vehicles as well as led to wiring & brake failure!

The January 3, 2007 article in the Summit Daily News titled 'Does magnesium chloride corrode car components?' by J.K. PERRY -Eagle County correspondent, shows that indeed magnesium chloride does corrode car components. Not only does it corrode car components at alarming rates but the substance begins to corrode components essential to safe operation of vehicles, such as brakes, and electrical systems. This has been proven and currently motions are underway to bring this evidence to the state of Colorado.

There are three cooperatives in Colorado that have seen an increase in outages and pole top fires that have been attributed to insulators becoming coated with magnesium chloride. The insulators become coated as vehicle traffic churns up the magnesium chloride into a fine mist that rises and settles on the pole hardware and insulators. As the solution builds up on the insulators the probability of tracking and arcing increases.

In the March 23, 2001, issue of Electric Co-op Today, Jerry Lipson's article "New Winter Road Salt 'Burns' Colorado Co-op Lines" addresses this issue. In an effort to determine whether other cooperatives are experiencing similar problems, RUS asks borrowers to let RUS know whether they have any evidence of increased outages or pole fires in proximity to highways in areas where magnesium chloride is used.

A concern still remains on its reaction with aluminum and galvanized steel poles, metal hardware and conductors. There has been some feedback from truckers stating that aluminum components and electrical systems in their vehicles are showing an increased corrosion rate. These are facts that cannot be ignored any longer.

I am asking that you cease using magnesium chloride or any of its similar compounds immediately. Not only has magnesium chloride been found to be very corrosive but it also attacks plastics and rubbers. This then relates to vehicle electrical wiring failures and brake failures as both systems utilize plastic and rubber components. The result of magnesium chloride on vehicles will result in serious accidents involving cars as components corrode and fail due to its use.

In order to avoid million dollar lawsuits being filed against the state of Colorado for its use of magnesium chloride and its salt based compounds. I am asking that the state of Colorado to consider reverting back to the environmentally & vehicle friendly method of plowing and sprinkling cinder or sand & enforcing the use of snow tires.

While this venture to introduce magnesium chloride was first initially thought to be a better alternative than calcium or sodium chloride, the data shows otherwise. Whether the state of Colorado has vested interests in EnviroTech Services, a Greeley-based company, is unknown at this time. Ceasing to use magnesium chloride and its similar compounds will prevent lawsuits from being filed by people whose vehicles suffered detrimental damage caused by its use.

Thank you
Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the letter! I'll send one in with a little re-wording and make up some copies for other guys I know.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
In Chicago they spray the salt with calcium chloride before they salt the streets. That stuff is so corrosive it's sickening. The underside of my truck needs help, I just haven't decided what route to take yet....
I bought a few cans of this CRC product and coated the bottom of my truck in the vital areas and it has worked wonders.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...?pid=4091&BASE
Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM

I worked a lot in Mi and In over the winter and I have had electical problems, now I know why...

It seems that any exposed positive feed will be destroyed. The four pin trailer hitch plug that I have my line of fire plugged into was the first thing. It usually has some grease in it, but I guess I have been slacking. One of the pins completely rotted. I pull power for the power outlet in my bed from the other trailer plug with a quick clip, that rotted. But the worst was the terminials on the Walbro pump. The positive rotted off and left my on the side of the interstate. The nut was siezed, so I had to backwods engineer it to get to a better place for the replacement install. That stuff is definetly brutal, never seen anything like it.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
... When it is wet out the mud splashes up on the side of the truck and leaves rust pits from the fine iron shavings that are found in dirt. These iron shavings will rust from the mgcl and stick to the clearcoat and makes for fun times trying to rub them out with rubbing compound. I guess I am . Sorry thanks for listening.

Dave
Dave,

Try something like Clay Magic or Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. These products work as advertised and are a God send. When I lived in New Orleans, I had a problem with chemical fallout pitting my clear coat. With a lot less elbow grease needed than rubbing compound, it will make your paint as smooth as glass. I never used the Clay Magic but that was recommended to me. I couldn't find it but found the Meguiar's and it worked miracles.

Later,

Al