3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

rim siezed on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rim siezed on?

Went to do passengers side ball joints and got stopped before i even got started. The rim is really siezed on there. Just had Les Schwabb mount up the new Toyo Mt's less that 2,000 miles ago. Wish they would have re-applied the anti-sieze i had on there...

Tried to break it loose by hitting tire with rubber mallet/ kicking/ pulling, won't budge. Soaking with penatrating oil now, but wondering if anyone has any tricks to break it loose?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a rash of places putting wheels on with impact wrenches. Learned the hard way to just ask them to do the legs by hand. Takes a little longer for them but If one cross threads then they can feel it.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 PM

run a piece of chain through two of the holes in the rim and use the jack in the truck sitting on the center with chain over top of jack to pop it off. Had to do that same thing in july.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:06 PM

They were on there, but i got the lug nuts off. Its the rim siezed onto the rotor/hub.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Loosen the lugs until they are finger tight or so, then take her for a gentle slow drive around the block, should put enough stress to break the bond but not do any damage just be careful. Did this to my brothers GMC and worked like a charm on all 4 seized on wheels.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM

I had to take mine to a shop where they could use their dead blow hammer and just bash it, took them an hour to get one off I guess. took me 3 hours before I gave up and called them.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 PM

Mine were siezed on once and I took my torch and just warmed it up around the lugs. As soon as it got warm they came off by hand.Buffed everything up and put never sieze on and no problems yet.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM

The crew truck at work has the wheels siezed up more then once, I take the big dead blow hammer and beat the P*ss outta the inside on the tire and rotate it and beat on the tire usually pops off about 4 good hits as you rotate the tire.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 PM

Saw a lot of that when I lived in Sicily; maybe because it's an island? Or just that Fiat's are crappy. Anyway, I'v done the same thing james has done. I'm much too lazy to spend 2-3 hours beating on it with a big hammer.

Put the lug nuts on finger tight. Get on the gas a little in reverse, and hit the brake hard. Then foreward a little and hit the brake hard. That usually does the trick. Repeat as necessary. Work smarter, not harder.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
Loosen the lugs until they are finger tight or so, then take her for a gentle slow drive around the block, should put enough stress to break the bond but not do any damage just be careful. Did this to my brothers GMC and worked like a charm on all 4 seized on wheels.
Usually all it takes is slightly loose lug nuts and hitting the brake pedal once or twice.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM

I had a flat and couldn't change my own tire once because of this very problem. I tried shooting with penetrating oil. I tried driving with my lugs loose. I tried jacking the truck up and letting it down quickly. I tried beating with a mallet. Took it to a Tire Shop and told the guy my problems. They pulled my truck into the shop, jacked it up, loosened the lugs, got underneath and took a 4 foot long heavy bar (or was it a pipe?) and hit the tire. I think it took two wacks and it was loose. So the moral of the story is YOU NEED TO USE A BIGGER HAMMER!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin

+1 sounds scary but it works.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by n2moto
+1 sounds scary but it works.
Works for me too.

One word of advise, if the wheel is seized on, it MIGHT be a hint of other parts seized, in your case it could be the bearing to the housing, be prepared !!!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Normally mine stick and I loosen the lugs, let the jack down a bit to put some weight on the tire, and then rock the truck side to side, this normally breaks it off pretty easy.

I do apply Never sieze everytime though, aluminum and steel, it likes to bond.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
if it was my problem i would take a file to it, just enough to cure the problem... there must be a million wheels out there that are loose enough without having to fight it....

Quick Reply: rim siezed on?