3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rim Consternation

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't mind I'll probably use your method for moding the Dodge cap if I can't come up with a solution to the push through style cap that I really want to achieve. I'll worry about the mod to clear Dynatracs later as I don't see that in the near future, although with push throughs it won't be an issue at all

rahtok, sorry for hijacking your thread man...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:06 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
If you don't mind I'll probably use your method for moding the Dodge cap if I can't come up with a solution to the push through style cap that I really want to achieve. I'll worry about the mod to clear Dynatracs later as I don't see that in the near future, although with push throughs it won't be an issue at all

rahtok, sorry for hijacking your thread man...
I'd like to see the push throughs work out. Please show us what you come up with. As I mentioned, I wanted to do that too but the search for the caps and the extra machine work held me off.

I hope rahtok doesn't consider all of this a hijack.

John
Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 PM

pwnt!!

Now -- someone sell me some H2 rims cheap in the Seattle area. :P
Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by rahtok
pwnt!!

Now -- someone sell me some H2 rims cheap in the Seattle area. :P

Make that 2 sets, with tires, I'll come down to pick up the 2nd set (preferably the 08 ones or old style chrome )
Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by snoyes
I know MKW was making a few wheels in the 17 inch arena that seemed to look pretty good. And they are also in the price range your looking. If you have a Les Schwab tire store near you they actually carry them in stock.
And the MKW's are an aluminum rim. They will come in the size you want/need. I almost bought a set of the MKW 19's. A friend of mine has a set on his 05 QC hemi with a level kit and 35's. No rubbin issues. Just make sur to order them with a backspacing value between 5 1/2"- 6" and a positive offset value. My Ultra Predators are a 20"x9" rim with 5 5/8" backspacing and a +14mm offset. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:19 PM

The problem with MKW's is that all thier offerings in a 17" except the M63(17x8.5 5.22" backspacing) have a backspacing of around 4.75" or less, nothing in 5.5" or more, that could cause rubbing issues.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:57 PM

Check out Centerline wheels they make a quality wheels at a reasonable price. If they don't have it in stock in your size or type they will custom make it for you if you are willing to wait a few weeks. http://www.centerlinewheels.com/

All the wheels that seem to fit have that blingy look you're trying to avoid (myself included) or they have the classic look but with "classic" sizes (16.5x9.75 with 4.5" backspacing), it's hard but keep trying, and when you find something thats simple and classic lookin, let me know....[/QUOTE]
Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 PM

You talk about bigger tires and a lift if need be, and talk about pulling the trigger on a 30ft toyhauler. There is no way that trailer is going to ride level if you get to big. Something to consider.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by hxw5223
Check out Centerline wheels they make a quality wheels at a reasonable price. If they don't have it in stock in your size or type they will custom make it for you if you are willing to wait a few weeks. http://www.centerlinewheels.com/

All the wheels that seem to fit have that blingy look you're trying to avoid (myself included) or they have the classic look but with "classic" sizes (16.5x9.75 with 4.5" backspacing), it's hard but keep trying, and when you find something thats simple and classic lookin, let me know....
[/QUOTE]

Actually I've been down the Centerline road, long story short, I ordered a set from them in October, recieved them in December, double checked dimensions to find out they were the wrong backspacing, sent them back, waited another 3 weeks to find out they couldn't make the size and style I wanted anymore, took 3 months for them to figure this out. Not sure if they are restructuring the company or what, but although they were very pleasant and tried to be helpful, seemed very unorganized over there. And the prices being reasonable well thats open to debate, my wheels were $420 a piece....They do build a very strong and beautifully finished wheel, when my truck gets lifted I might give them another shot at it...

Centerline Wildcats
Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM

I did the Eclipses with the stock backspacing $259 a piece, I'm going to have them black chromed.
Attached Thumbnails Rim Consternation-eclipse.jpg  
Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_Boutet
You talk about bigger tires and a lift if need be, and talk about pulling the trigger on a 30ft toyhauler. There is no way that trailer is going to ride level if you get to big. Something to consider.
/nod

I'm likely going to have to order the trailer, and getting the axles flipped is an option for a couple of extra inches of ride height on the trailer itself.

At the end of the day, I may not be able to do all of this and keep everything reasonable from a safety perspective, but with just 35s, I think that this is all do-able... no?