3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rim Consternation

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rim Consternation

OK Guys -- I'm frustrated.

I've got an `06 QC LB 4x4 2500 that I want to upsize the tires a bit. However, I'm really shocked/appalled/angry at the almost total lack of choice. I want something that has a bigger offset to fill out the fender flares and take up a little more space in the wheel well than the stockers. However, I don't want any rub (I'm willing to consider a lift if that's whats req'd). Moreover, I don't want to give up any hauling capacity. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 30' toy hauler and want the load rating too. I'm new to all of the truck stuff, and all I really know about tires have been using Hoosiers and RA-1s for my 350z for race days. I suppose I could go to Fikse and have them custom build me a set, but $800/rim for my truck seems extreme (but for some reason doesn't offend me for my car )

I was thinking I'd need something like 17x9 or 17x10 to make sure the bead is secure with something like a 305, but I'm not sure. And what offset is going to be appropriate to clear the suspension, etc.

I've been doing searches, but all that most people are doing are H2 wheels and those are 17x7.5 with who knows what load rating.

Also, I've got the Atlantic Blue, and want to avoid completely blacked out rims. Thoughts all? Help a noob out?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:21 PM

One more thought... I want to avoid the truck looking like it's in a rap video -- think tasteful instead of Bling-y.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Check out NTWonline.com They'll be ably to help you as much as anyone here can.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Yeah I agree trying to find a classic looking wheel with proper back spacing for these trucks is very tough, I've been looking for 3 months and finally just settled on a set of 08 H2 rims, they are 17x8.5 5.5" backspacing and have a weight rating of 3195 lbs per wheel from what I've seen. I'm also planning on running a 305/65/17 BFG KM2

All the wheels that seem to fit have that blingy look you're trying to avoid (myself included) or they have the classic look but with "classic" sizes (16.5x9.75 with 4.5" backspacing), it's hard but keep trying, and when you find something thats simple and classic lookin, let me know....
Old 03-15-2008, 06:47 PM

I have a set of Weld wheels on my truck, that might be what your looking for, but like a Fiske, they ain't cheep at $340 a pop.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:55 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
Yeah I agree trying to find a classic looking wheel with proper back spacing for these trucks is very tough, I've been looking for 3 months and finally just settled on a set of 08 H2 rims, they are 17x8.5 5.5" backspacing and have a weight rating of 3195 lbs per wheel from what I've seen. I'm also planning on running a 305/65/17 BFG KM2

All the wheels that seem to fit have that blingy look you're trying to avoid (myself included) or they have the classic look but with "classic" sizes (16.5x9.75 with 4.5" backspacing), it's hard but keep trying, and when you find something thats simple and classic lookin, let me know....
Where did you find the load rating on the H2 wheels? I've looked and looked with no luck.

John
Old 03-15-2008, 06:59 PM

[QUOTE=rahtok;1998751]OK Guys -- I'm frustrated.

I've got an `06 QC LB 4x4 2500 that I want to upsize the tires a bit. However, I'm really shocked/appalled/angry at the almost total lack of choice. I want something that has a bigger offset to fill out the fender flares and take up a little more space in the wheel well than the stockers. However, I don't want any rub (I'm willing to consider a lift if that's whats req'd). Moreover, I don't want to give up any hauling capacity. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 30' toy hauler and want the load rating too. I'm new to all of the truck stuff, and all I really know about tires have been using Hoosiers and RA-1s for my 350z for race days. I suppose I could go to Fikse and have them custom build me a set, but $800/rim for my truck seems extreme (but for some reason doesn't offend me for my car )

I was thinking I'd need something like 17x9 or 17x10 to make sure the bead is secure with something like a 305, but I'm not sure. And what offset is going to be appropriate to clear the suspension, etc.

I've been doing searches, but all that most people are doing are H2 wheels and those are 17x7.5 with who knows what load rating.

The H2s are 8.5 inches wide, they won't rub with 315s on them, they are cheap, and they do fill the wheel wells better with some more offset. It sounds like they are perfect for you unless you don't like the way they look.

John
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 PM

Yeah, the H2s are sounding a little better. Seems that I've seen a few sets of those for about 400 or so. I certainly don't mind the look, just want to keep the load rating on a bigger tire with little more offset.

I found these http://www.procomptires.com/pxa6005.html that seem to be around 210 to 250 per too.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:16 PM

I know MKW was making a few wheels in the 17 inch arena that seemed to look pretty good. And they are also in the price range your looking. If you have a Les Schwab tire store near you they actually carry them in stock.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:29 PM

rahtok,

Those are nice looking wheels and I like the 3420 lb load rating too. I wish I could confirm the rating on the H2s. I've towed heavy and carried a lot in the bed with my H2s, but there is nothing like actually knowing the factory rating.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...atrac+285s+H2s
Old 03-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Raspy

I had seen the # posted on this site somewhere, but don't remeber exactly where. Wish I could be of more help with that, dang short term memory.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get a set of h2's. can't beat the price and they have the perfect back spacing for our trucks.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 PM

james,

I saw it posted also, and asked about the source then too. No answer. I'm afraid it's just a guess and I'd sure like to track it down. When comparing to the stock Dodge cast wheels the H2s look just as well designed for loads. There are a lot of us using them now and I've never heard of a failure.

Thanks for the response.

John
Old 03-15-2008, 09:01 PM

They seem well made, and there are plenty of H2's rolling around on the stock wheels (not everyone is a gangsta and changes them before they leave the dealer) never seen or heard of a failure, then again, never really seen a H2 towing or offroad or even really worked hard at all

After I get 2 of mine back from being repaired (thanks UPS for the customizing ) I'll see if I can do the center cap idea and then mount em up.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
They seem well made, and there are plenty of H2's rolling around on the stock wheels (not everyone is a gangsta and changes them before they leave the dealer) never seen or heard of a failure, then again, never really seen a H2 towing or offroad or even really worked hard at all

After I get 2 of mine back from being repaired (thanks UPS for the customizing ) I'll see if I can do the center cap idea and then mount em up.

I did the center caps on the old style H2s, then modified them further for the '08 H2s, then further yet to accomodate the Dynatrac setup. That was the hardest mod because the studs are too long with the Dynatrac hubs and I had to get serious with the whole metal bracket on the back. Check further up this thread for the finished pix.

The Gangsta bit kills me but without that we'd have a hard time getting those great wheels. It still surprises me how underappreciated they are.

Quick Reply: Rim Consternation