3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Right up on building homemade auxiliary tank with pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dezeldog
I have a 50 gal. aluminum aux tank in the bed of the truck. It is gravity fed through a 2mic fuel filter w/s into the oe vent line on the oe tank. This vent line is available because I have done the tank vent mod. The filter/ws is a racor 120as. This way keeps the fuel gauge full until the aux tank is empty. Then you still have the 36 gals. in the oem tank. I've run it this way for about 2yrs. with no problems. Hope this helps. Nice lookin welds by the way.

Jim
I've got a very similar setup with 90 gallon RDS tank.

You are doing a great job on this tank build. Just wondering though....how much will this weigh when done....since its steel vs. aluminum????
Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dezeldog
Nice lookin welds by the way.

Jim
Thanks for info and the compliment

Originally Posted by NDanecker
I've got a very similar setup with 90 gallon RDS tank.

You are doing a great job on this tank build. Just wondering though....how much will this weigh when done....since its steel vs. aluminum????
I'm not sure about the weight difference is between steel and aluminum is but for me it was cost and the tools I have to do the job. So the sheet I started with was 281 lbs I had a drop of 10"x120" that weighs 88lbs so I'm guessing about 200 lbs

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
make sure its not offroad fuel and subtract a few mpg's for hauling the extra weight.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM

My 90 gal RDS tank weighs about 150 empty (just a guess) so you aren't too far off with steel.

I hear ya about saving some money. My tank was around $900 or so! Would have been nice to save some money while being able to say I made it myself!!!

I've already saved some bucks just by fueling where I know its cheap plus the added feature of not having to stop when I'm towing my trailer. Easy to fill up BEFORE I hook up and not have to worry making turns in certain fuel stations with a 40' deck over!

Have you thought about having it powder coated instead of paint? Or are you going for the classic NJ Garden State Parkway 'rustic' look and go plain steel?

Like to see pics when you are done!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 PM

Mmmmmm, stack of dimes. Nice hand.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by NDanecker
My 90 gal RDS tank weighs about 150 empty (just a guess) so you aren't too far off with steel.

I hear ya about saving some money. My tank was around $900 or so! Would have been nice to save some money while being able to say I made it myself!!!

I've already saved some bucks just by fueling where I know its cheap plus the added feature of not having to stop when I'm towing my trailer. Easy to fill up BEFORE I hook up and not have to worry making turns in certain fuel stations with a 40' deck over!

Have you thought about having it powder coated instead of paint? Or are you going for the classic NJ Garden State Parkway 'rustic' look and go plain steel?

Like to see pics when you are done!!!
Yeah I will be saving a butt load filling up at my friends shop for free!! Thats half the reason I built the tank. If I would have made mine from 1/4" aluminum it would have cost me about $500.00 and weighed about 170 lbs.
Here are some pics of it pre installed to make sure everything fits before It gets sprayed with bed liner tomorrow.
Name:  1237225478.jpg
Views: 7041
Size:  65.1 KB
Name:  1237242274.jpg
Views: 6577
Size:  51.2 KB
Name:  1237265285.jpg
Views: 6655
Size:  68.2 KB

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
make sure its not offroad fuel and subtract a few mpg's for hauling the extra weight.
Yeah no off road
I don't think it will effect it to much but we will see. I'm more worried about the weight of the fuel. about 700 fuel + 200 tank 900 lbs that might be something for me to worry about?

Originally Posted by Darryl&Rita
Mmmmmm, stack of dimes. Nice hand.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 AM

Here is the fittings I'm using and the cap and the flange I bought from a Husky Trailer.
Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 6606
Size:  159.5 KB
Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 AM

Is that a vented cap?? Also I don't see a rollover valve as that could be a problem if the DOT decides to pull ya over and wanna look it over. FWIW

Jim
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 AM

Yes it is a vented cap.
I'm not 100% sure but I think a rollover valve is for commercial vehicles only.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 PM

I thought that it was to prevent fuel from spilling in the event of a rollover of any vehicle. But then again I'm not real sure either. Someone mentioned it when I was putting my tank together so I put one in.

Jim
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
you did a great job on that! CONGRATS and KILLER lookin welding too. I am looking to build a tank for my truck, go over the stacks bedkit to utilize the empty space
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 AM

Going to pick up the tank from the bed liner place this morning and hopefully I can get installed today with no problems. Wish me luck!!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 AM

Make sure the tank is grounded to the truck somehow. Real nice looking work you did. I would like to have spare tank, but worry about the weight as I only have a SRW & pull a fifth wheel.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DADDY'S DIESEL
That truly is a nice setup then
What did that set you back?
It was over $2,000 installed. The tool box added some cost (plus the fuel pump, sending unit, etc.)

Kind of pricey, but suits my needs perfectly. I had it installed the day after I bought the truck in Oklahoma. Drove it to Dallas and he put it in. It has saved me tons of money and probably saved me from buying some bad diesel fuel because I can drive so far on a fill up. I always buy at the big truck stops.

www.auxtank.com

Click on the Dodge long bed 90 gallon tank with toolbox and there's a picture. I have actually put 100 gallons in the tank if I fill it all the way up.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 AM

Got the tank installed I would post pictures but I can't figure out to post them on here using my iPhone
I can email them to photobucket and they post them on their website but that's it the iPhone can't copy and paste

I'm out of town right now will post pictures when I get back home tomorrow

Quick Reply: Right up on building homemade auxiliary tank with pics!!