3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

rhino-lined rockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MedicShawn, did they wrap the edges of your doors w/ Linex? If not, are you seeing any chipping of Linex in that area? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Yeah he wrapped the edges. It's very clean looking. The guy that did mine said no problem he had done a few rocker panels before. If you PM me an email address I can send you a bunch of pics I took.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:37 PM

For the 8 inch strip of stainless around the whole truck plus the line x below it I paid $525 Canadian. I am very happy with the work and I did that mod at about 5000 miles. It is worth the money for sure. You will never regret getting it done.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 PM

On my 85 chevy I have the bottom done with a thin coat of liner and paint over top.
It has been on for 8 years and still looks good. It's a dark gray with flake and clear coat. The plain liner gets dirt stuck in it which makes it hard to clean. The paint smooths out the roughness to keep the dirt out and makes it washable. I have a picture of the whole truck but no close ups.
Just my .02

John
Old 04-07-2005, 10:20 PM

After hearing all your responces and seeing the pics I'm definently going to get it done. The local Rhino-liner guy in town quoted me $800 for the rockers and $400 for the bed; this seems really steep in comparison to what some of you paid to have it done (they have however, done a few trucks so I guess they know what they're doing). These guys claimed they couldn't match they graphite metallic but had a similar shade of dark gray, this has me a bit worried; it's looking like it'd be worth cruising down to Denver to have it done(there are quite a few places that do the spray on liners down there).
Old 04-07-2005, 10:53 PM

When I get mine Linex'd, I'm going to get black. I think 2 tone dark gray/ black will look good. I have the mineral gray also.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:17 AM

charcoal600,

If you want to take a look at a truck with spray on rocker covering I am in Cheyenne. I had it done the first week I bought the truck and an VERY happy with it. I had S&M Coatings in Burns WY do it. He did a very good job and in fact I have a set of Warn flares at his place to be spray coated so they match the rockers. I am going to pick them up today. He does good work and is affordable. The product is Armothane (spelling??) and I really like the texture.

Later
Allen
Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 PM

Blown32, sent you a pm
Old 04-09-2005, 01:31 PM
WL.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Met a guy the other day thathas his entire truck sprayed, except the glass of course. I looked good, and all he doesit pressure wash it and go. Take about too much $$$$$$$!
Old 04-09-2005, 06:47 PM

There was a guy near my old house who drove a lifted black 2500 2nd gen CTD quad cab entirely coated, it looked good, a bit sinister.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:55 AM

Hi Guys....

I have sprayed a number of trucks.. inside.. outside,,, body panels... underneath etc....

we talk about this all the time over at CK5

The comments are right
it can fade over time... it depends on the amount of UV inhibitor in the batch.... and some colors do look "dirtier"than others... but some scrubbing with a brush and a coating of armorall or the like will keep them looking nice....

the area must be SUPER CLEAN and absolutely rust free... other wise you are encapsulating whatever is on, or under, the finish behind this coating. You must be **** about doing the edges correctly

the plus side.... great rock chip protection.. makes the panel super quiet
the down side... must be redone in an accident... harder than paint to match so stick with the basic colors... even these can vary from batch to batch... and I am in cali and have never tested this in the rust states.... so proceed with caution

it can be done MUCH MUCH cheaper than linex or those guys

heres the link... do it yourself

www.rattleguard.com

direct or off ebay

nice stuff

cam
Old 04-18-2005, 04:40 PM

I'm a LINE-X dealer. If you worried about fading, we currently have two products that will prevent fading, Ultra Shield or Dupont Nason. I prefer Nason, it looks better. A new (and better) product will be available sometime in May called LINE-X Xtra. LINE-X and DuPont have been working on this special topcoat for about a year. LINE-X Xtra is a topcoat that will contain Kevlar "pulp". It will be glossy, retain its color, is VERY durable, and dries in less than 10 minutes. This topcoat will not be a "layered" topcoat. "Layered" meaning like if you were to paint a liner, you would have a layer of paint on top of the liner. Xtra will actually penetrate the liner and be integrated into it.

Here are a couple of pics that are not so good 'cause they are scanned. LINE-X non-fading color on rocker panels and fender flares.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/rockers2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/rockers1.jpg

Now, here's some interesting pics even though it's not a truck. This customer was tired of rock chips on his Altima. We removed the bottom portion of the bumper and sprayed a LINE-X color match. No-fading, we used Dupont Nason.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ne/altima2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ne/altima3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ne/altima1.jpg

We are currently working on a 1978 Chevy truck. We are LINE-Xing the entire exterior, except for the bed, it already has a liner in it. The LINE-X will be sprayed with black Nason.

Here's a pic of a Cherokee, the entire exterior is either red or black LINE-X. We used a Ford red color.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../cherokee2.jpg

This business is soooooo much fun!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:31 PM

Cruzin90, cool pics, the only thing I'm waiting on now is time during the week to bring my truck in to get sprayed.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 PM

Cruzin90
Which of these products can be put on after the fact?
What would you recommend to keep the Line-X from fading? Thanks Shawn
Old 04-20-2005, 07:39 AM

I'm considering having the bottom of mine done, from the body crease down. My truck is silver and I think it will add to the look, and protect it to boot! I'm going to call the local Line-X guy and get a quote for the bed and for the rockers....

Quick Reply: rhino-lined rockers