3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

rhino-lined rockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rhino-lined rockers

Has anyone done this to their rigs, how has it held up, does it look OK, pics? My rocker panels are already pretty chipped up, I'm hoping this well end all chipping problems. I'm planning on having the rockers (from the lower body line down), flares and bed done all at once. What are everyone's thaughts on this?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:40 PM

When I talked to the local Rhino, I asked about cleaning. He talked around it and never answered my question. One thing he said was trucks are always dirty anyway. Made me suspicious. I'll go w/ Linex when I get the cash.
Also, ask if they turn the corners of the doors so the edges don't get chipped up. Each franchise does it different. Same w/ Linex.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:17 PM

I haven't done it to my truck, but I have a friend that did it to his Chevy... looked great at first, but after time, due to the texture, the dirt gets embedded and it doesn't look as fresh. Just take a look at some lightly used spray in bed liners that are about 2 years old and you'll know what to expect from the rockers and flares. If you match it to the graphite color of your truck, it might not show deposits as bad as the black does.

On the upside, he doesn't hear rocks pinging off of his truck anymore, and it's held up (no peeling, etc) really well.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've sprayed my square tubed rock rails on my jeep with line-x and they've held up pretty good. My jeep doesn't have the same high standards of appearance as my truck, but the line-x has just faded some, not chipped, not scratched, etc. It's about an 80% off road vehicle.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 AM

i got a buddy up in canada that did it to his 03 3500 dually and it looks really good. he really likes how its held up. He did it to his last dodge i believe it was a 97 and never had a problem. I think he used line-x. not to start a huge arguement but i personally would go with the line-x. To me it looks better, does not fade near as fast or as bad as "the other ones", and holds up real well...
just my .02
Old 04-07-2005, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I never thaught about the dirt getting into the surface of the liner material issue. As for the fading issue, there is a pollish for brightening up the liner material. I'm pretty nit picky about keeping my truck clean so I imagine I'd figure out some way of keeping the lined rockers looking good. The only reason I mention Rhino-line is that there's a place that does the Rhino-liners in town here, for an other name brand it would mean driving down to Denver most likely.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 AM

I have also thought about this but have one problem..... My truck is White!!!!

Has anyone ever seen white after a few months/years, will it yellow or fade????
Old 04-07-2005, 08:39 AM

oh that's easy 04RAM2500. Paint your truck black or dark gray. The lining will look great on it.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:30 AM

I have had both Rhino and LineX as spray in bed liners. I have Linex now on this truck and had it on my last truck. As stated before the LineX fades less, and I think is a lot easier to keep clean. The original luster and color is easy to bring back by using 'Just Once' www.justonce.com
Old 04-07-2005, 09:40 AM

Even Armor All will keep your rockers looking good as well as your bed liners.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:18 PM

My truck is white too, and I have it done. Have a look at my gallery.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:30 PM

I have pics in my gallery. It has lost some of it's luster. I don't have any problems with stuff getting stuck in the Line-X rockers. I end up with alot of red mud on my rockers and it comes off wth normal truck washing. I'm defiintely glad I did it.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 PM

glad to hear your guys are liking the way it came out. I've had the same experiance with rock chips, even with mud flaps. I'm very dissapointed with my paint job on my truck and wish I had gotten a color that doesn't show as much. My truck is deep molten red and I love the color, but the thickness is very discrete. My truck is only 2.5 months old and I'm ready to do this mod already. For you guys that have done this, what have you paid for it? I had a quote of 400 plus 200 for color match. Pretty Steep in my opinion. Also I would like to leave my body molding on, do you think that you could reapply it to the linings.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:55 PM

You get what you pay for. In my area, Linex varies between 500 & $1200. 3 dealers said $500, 1 said $700 and one said from 700 to 1200 depending on what you want linex'd. The higher priced ones know how difficult it is to do a good job and also knew about "enveloping" the door edges so they don't chip.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:10 PM

I removed my bodyside molding because I didn't want it on there. The guy that did mine said he could spray over them with Line-x if I wanted.

The pricing depends somewhat on your truck. They charged more for the length of my truck (8 foot bed) and more for 4 doors as opposed to 2. They installer explained that there was alot more prep work involed as far as masking and taping. For the beds the just have to mask the rails and they have some sort of cover that protects the cab. With the rockers they have to mask around all the wheels and doors as well as the rear end.

They charged me 500 for the bed over the rail and 400 for the rockers. It was defintely expensive but it's held up well. I had lots of rock chips on my old pickup and this one I can hear rocks hit it but no damage.

Quick Reply: rhino-lined rockers