3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Reverse Honk TSB

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI- this honk feature is a recall-meaning you can thank the safety zealots in our government,tampering or disabling would violate federal law-so usually you dealer is not going to go near defeating it
Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

So what the difference if the door is open or not. I guess big brother thinks it's less dangerous for the truck to slip into reverse with the door shut than it is open. Stupid,stupid,stupid!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Yeah, I had just installed a new bumper on my 04. I was backing up to a trailer and hopped out to see how close I was.... I could have sworn i put it in park... Then blammo, nice dent in my new rear bumper.

Even with that, I hate the recall . I've learned my lesson already!

My truck had this from the factory though so oh well. It got me good the other day backing up to the fuel pump, scared the poo out of me, I almost hit the gas instead of the brake!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Tell the dealer your a farmer...haha

My local dealer takes it off the guys trucks who are farmers case they all hate it. They offered to take mine off, I just haven't gone back to have it done yet.

Try that...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard that once its been installed it can not be taken back out of the trucks computer.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:27 PM

Well,I took my 05 in to get my high idle enabled and my friendly neighborhood dealer told me that by LAW they had to do the recall Also that it could not be reversed. So now I am stuck with it, but I did hear of a way to bypass it by fiddling with the seat belt chime wires under the drivers seat. Maybe someone will chime in on that.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

Guys, you really are over thinking this. It is not designed to honk if it goes into reverse after you left the truck. It is to indicate you are in reverse when you open the door to get out, thus making sure you do not get knocked down by the door and run over. It does not sound if you are in Drive as there is less chance getting run over.

There have been thousands of safety items done since cars and trucks first rolled out of the factory and many of you do not think about it as they are second nature to you. One day the horn will be also be second nature, unless you disable it and get run over since you left it in reverse when you got out, then you are dead and it doesn't matter.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Banned

CamperAndy, do you back up to a trailer on a regular basis? I've backed up to a couple, and unless I have a spotter, I have to adjusts at least a couple times. With the dodge (as far as I know) being the only one to have this feature, it is really hard to get used to it as every other truck I drive doesn't have this rediculous feature.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bluebull
Your also correct but now when it slips into reverse the driver can run back to the truck and get run over by his own truck trying to get inside to stop the truck.
I agree. Honk is to alert others that your truck just ran you over. Doesn't the truck come with a PARKING Brake?

I've been putting off going for the idle-up enable because of this tsb too.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mlucas
CamperAndy, do you back up to a trailer on a regular basis? I've backed up to a couple, and unless I have a spotter, I have to adjusts at least a couple times. With the dodge (as far as I know) being the only one to have this feature, it is really hard to get used to it as every other truck I drive doesn't have this rediculous feature.
Yes I do use my truck to tow and have done so for years. I just wonder why you (and so many others) have to open the door when in reverse? The mirrors are plenty big. If you only need to back up that last inch to get the ball under the coupling roll down the window and look at the ground, no need to open the door. You could also buy one of those hitch aids that clip on your tail gate where you can see the ball or get a back up camera.

You know horns were installed in the first place as a safety device, so you could warn the little gray hair that was pulling out in front of you that they were about to do something stupid. I don't hear anyone complaining about that but here is the solution for all you guys that hate the reverse with door open warning, disconnect the horn.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Yes I do use my truck to tow and have done so for years. I just wonder why you (and so many others) have to open the door when in reverse? The mirrors are plenty big. If you only need to back up that last inch to get the ball under the coupling roll down the window and look at the ground, no need to open the door. You could also buy one of those hitch aids that clip on your tail gate where you can see the ball or get a back up camera.

You know horns were installed in the first place as a safety device, so you could warn the little gray hair that was pulling out in front of you that they were about to do something stupid. I don't hear anyone complaining about that but here is the solution for all you guys that hate the reverse with door open warning, disconnect the horn.
I can't believe anyone would even bother to try to defend this stupid idea that Dodge came up with. I am the most mopar kinda guy going, but this ranks right up there with Ford and there better ideas.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Banned

I do understand the "safety" aspect of this TSB, but ***, who the hell closes their door just to back up an inch. They are probably going to make me put my seatbelt on to do that too.

an automatic backup warning system....my memory is telling me there is already something outhere....or right, its on every fleet/big rig in existance. A backup horn. The gov't doesn't make me install one on my truck, so why should I have the main horn go off.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 AM

maybe its cause the little guys cant back up an inch without having to get in all the way so they close the door lol
Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 AM

i had to take my truck in for a abs recall several months ago and i dont think they did this recall... im not 100% on this but i think i can backup with the door open and it doesnt honk... i guess ill have to go try it out and see. i can normally just back right up the the trialer.