3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover/Which One to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Pace Edwards too, I am very happy with it and I too have no leaks.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:59 AM

You really need to look at the Retrax cover. The difference in quality and functionality is VAST
Old 04-26-2007, 11:10 AM

I looked at the Retrax product on a web site. It looks pretty decent.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:55 AM

BMH95,

What are the +'s of the Retrax versus the Pace Edwards?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:55 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the P/E and have been happy with it. Not the easiest to install by yourself. I have had no problems and no leaks with it except some leakage where the tailgate meets it.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Advance Folding cover is hard material, mostly aluminum heaver frame with solid panels on top. Not strong enough that I'd walk on it but quite secure. It opens one panel next to the cab and 3 to the rear (they fold accordian style allowing me to use the 5th wheel without removing cover). Sits on rubber seals down each side of the box with flaps (very small) that seal the ends. Not 100% water proof but quite dry. Have traveled with suitcases in back and nothing inside ever got wet in over 2 years. of use on my 04 and now on my 07. It is black finished (painted) and ir you wanted to paint to match your truck I don't see why you couldn't. Personally I like the black. Hope this answers your questions. Oh yeah, my cost installed 2 years ago was $650. It also locks front and rear, not agressivly secure but it cant just be opened and does also lock the tailgate. Like I said not real secure, latch is plastic , but stops the casual thief.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Danchew6.7Mega
BMH95,

What are the +'s of the Retrax versus the Pace Edwards?
There are a few key things. First, it's made of a single sheet of lexan, with an aluminum support frame underneath (embedded into) it. Attached to the aluminum frame, is a set of sealed ball bearing wheels that the top rides on. The installation is very very easy. You have 3 pieces to work with. The main box, and the two legs. You use 2 screws to attach them together, and then set in on the truck box. It comes with a little spacer tool, and then you clamp the sides to the rails, using the 4 clamps. It took me 30 minutes by myself. The latch is on the drivers side, at the rear, and you can open / close it by walking along the side of the truck. There is no retracting spring mechanism; and mine is so smooth and easy rolling, you can open / close it with a finger while walking along the side of the truck. It also will clamp closed/open in any position you want it to. A couple of my buddies have had the other styles, and they both had failures. The first thing that drove them nuts, was the cord you had to use to pull the top shut, and then separation of the vinyl and aluminum slats. If you leave it out in the sun a lot, the glue fails. I'm telling you, if you see one up close, there is just no comparison. Mine only leakes from around the tailgate, probably because I didn't put a tailgate seal on like I should have. All retractable / soft covers leak somewhere, usually at the tailgate. I actually had a cop pull me over to see it in person.

Here's the website:
http://www.rolltopcover.com/
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Advance cover as well and I like it alot. Being able to take it completely off in 2 minutes and my wife being able to lift it is a big plus. If you have a slid in camper, this would be the ticket as the fiberglass ones weigh alot and the roll tops take about 1 hour to remove.

I have had it on for a few years now on gravel, offroad and all weather and it holds up pretty well. I like the ability to open the front of the cover to access my tools, fuel conditioner, snow brush etc without opening up the whole lid. Take a look at it, its pretty neat.

DonHov,

The latch lock to the tailgate was a bad idea. I plugged the hole with a fake lock and moved the actual lock up the the latch just like the front cover. This way the lid is totally locked down. After that I just added a lock for the tailgate and its totally secure, well as good as it gets.