3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover/Which One to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover/Which One to Buy?

I just bought my Truck over the weekend, I'm getting the line X sprayed tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendation which one to buy? I was considering getting the Pace Edward or a Roll N Rock. But the cost is high IMO, I'm looking for something that will last, inexpensive and durable.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't need the rolling type of cover look at the Advance Folding Cover. On my short box it is 4 sections, folds 3 forward to leave most of the back open and with included snaps can be left open, or open just the front cover to access items at the front of the box. Had on my 04 and moved to my 07. Took about 1 hour to install if you DYI. Was $650 installed first time and $35 for kit to reinstall on new truck. You install rubber rails on each side of truck that cover seals onto and they are the super stick tape kind. If you think you might be interested in this type of cover 'Do not spray over the rails" as you need smooth surface to stick rails to. Over the tailgate is still a good idea.

Do a Google search for further info on "Advance Folding Cover".
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 AM

Donhov...

Is that cover plastic material or alum frame with the fabric stretched over it. I am looking for a cover and have been looking at the Bak, Bak flip Tonneau....Looks similar to the one you are talking about from Advance.
How well does the Advance keep water out? I've thought about retractable also but the cost is way too high right now.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:12 AM

I have an Access brand cover. IMO it's the best on the market for the price. It has a 2 rails that clamp to the sides of the bed and the top is rolled to the front. It takes about a half an hour to install.
To use you simply unlock the right side and pull the latch on the left and roll the cover to the front. To cover the bed simply unroll cover latch the rear and run your finger along the sides to seal the velcro.
I have had one on my 99 longbed for about 4 yrs now. No problems no water in bed.
I have 2 Access covers the one on my 99 and one on my 06 Megacab
Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Iv got the Bak Rolltop cover on my SB.
Its aluminum slats that are powder coated and fairly waterproof.
It works ok but if I was to get another roll up type, I think Id go with Pace Edwards.
The only reason I went with the Bak is the factory is close to me and they did the install.
Iv got the LineX sprayed over the rails and the cover fits great.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:45 PM

I have the Pace Edwards that I took off my 1500 when I traded it for my new truck. Ill sell it to you if your interested for a good price. Its very nice, I bought the Pace because it is the lowest profile rolltop I could find. Oh, it was only on my last truck 4 months, I was gonna use it on the new one but Im gonna run stacks so its out of the question. PM me if your interested!
Attached Thumbnails Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover/Which One to Buy?-dsc00263.jpg   Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover/Which One to Buy?-dsc00261.jpg  
Old 04-24-2007, 01:55 PM

I have a Pace Edwards cover. It is pretty solid and rolls very smoothly. I am happy with it.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:55 PM

I had a pace edwards once. it was nice and covenient,but it leaked. I sold it to someone who could live with a leak,and bought a Torza Top.its a soft folding cover.easy off and on. best part no leaks.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:58 PM

Retrax all day and all night. Hands down the best quality retractable out there.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDo
I had a pace edwards once. it was nice and covenient,but it leaked. I sold it to someone who could live with a leak,and bought a Torza Top.its a soft folding cover.easy off and on. best part no leaks.

I have no leaks.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:28 PM

The problem with the vinyl / metal retracatables, is that they will separate and fall apart after a few years.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 PM

I like the BAK I have esp at 800 bucks. Works great.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mega07
I have the Pace Edwards that I took off my 1500 when I traded it for my new truck. Ill sell it to you if your interested for a good price. Its very nice, I bought the Pace because it is the lowest profile rolltop I could find. Oh, it was only on my last truck 4 months, I was gonna use it on the new one but Im gonna run stacks so its out of the question. PM me if your interested!
Mega07

I PM you, just reply back when you have opportunity..

Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I leaning towards a hard cover like ( Pace Edwards or Roll N Lock ) for security and durability.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 PM

I had the pace edwards bed locker on my SD. Very good quality and I liked the fact that I could open it with a key fob. I paid $1100 or so back in 2002, don't know what they go for now.

Quick Reply: Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover/Which One to Buy?