3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Reply from Dodge/ tape vs. plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Reply from Dodge/ tape vs. plugs

I sent a email to DC customer service about my truck having tape instead of plugs & my dealers response. Here is what they said...

My email -
Replacing tape on rocker panel holes with the rubber plugs
Comments:
---------
I just bought a new dodge ram. A 2500 quadcab. It has tape covering the 16 holes under the cab. This is on the inside of the rocker panels. My dealer wants me to pay to have the plugs put in there. I think they should be there when built. Does DODGE build their trucks using flimsy tape to protect from mud grime & other debris? Or is my dealer being a jerk. He said if they had made money on my truck then they might had paid for them,
but they said they did not make any money selling me the truck... This is my first DODGE truck. If this dealer is representative of how DODGE takes care of customers, it will probably be my only DODGE. Please let me know what your policy is on this truck. My friend has a 2002 truck & it came with the rubber plugs, no tape.

Thank You,

David Hudson

their response...

Dear David:

Thank you for your email to DaimlerChrysler regarding your 2004 Dodge
Ram.

The tape on your vehicle may be left over from manufacturing but this
tape does not at all effect the efficiency of the vehicle or its
performance. If the dealership has rubber plugs that you want put in,
this would be at your expense and not something covered under the
warranty.

Thank you again for your email.

Sincerely,

Nicole
Senior Staff Representative
DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center

Don't sound to good to me. Thought I'd let you folks know Where DC atands on this issue.

David
Old 03-16-2004, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm extremely disappointed to hear this and shocked at how both sides (your dealer and DC) handled this.

Nicole - I question if you fully understand the purpose of these plugs, if you knew that previous model year trucks came with the plugs (so somebody thought they were important at one point), and more importantly if you could distinguish the difference between a Dodge and a Mercedes-Benz.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:02 PM

Hmm....I just got mine back from the dealer. They replaced the tape with plugs at no charge to me, in fact they acted embarrased by the tape, and said I was the first customer to bring it to thier attention. Sorry about how you were "handled". Good luck with that.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:02 PM

My '03 has the plugs.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:06 PM

try replying back to DC "Thank you sir. May I have another?"
Old 03-16-2004, 10:08 PM

My truck isn't in yet but I brought it to the attention of my salesman. He just said no biggie, we'll get some plugs and put them in if it doesn't have them.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:28 PM

A friend of mine(who has the plugs in his 02) son works for a dodge dealer outside of dallas(i'm in Austin). He said it would be a no-brainer for the dealer to put in the plugs. If nothing else, as a common courtesy to the customer... to make it right. I'm afraid my dealer is a...well... less concerned. it is Texas Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Georgetown Texas.

I will respond to DC & let them know how disapointed I am with them

Oh well... win a few... loose a few.... customers that is

David
Old 03-16-2004, 11:03 PM

I'd send you my plugs if I still had them. I pulled mine out to put in my Mopar running boards. The directions say to take them out and 86 them, they were in the way for the brackets. I'm not to concerned about it. I'm sure a little water through the passage will help clear out any stuck debris.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:34 AM

Yeah my 03 had tape and plugs. I also removed them and tossed them to install my nerf bars.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:47 AM

Anyone ever work customer service?

I hate to say it, but an email isn't enough info for them to say "yes, we'll replace those at no charge". Nicole doesn't know your dealers side. Plus she probably doesn't know the small details on every mopar car built. I'd even wonder if they have that sort of power. Typically they just say "see your local dealer."

It's a tough job to make everyone happy. Plus there are dishonest people, not saying that you're one, but in a job like that you meet all kinds.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:50 PM

I have to agree about the problems customer service reps face when dealing with the general public.

I worked for a phone company doing customer service for over 5 years and it was torture! Mine you, it's different then the problems a auto manufacture's rep will face but some of the things folks ask for are just crazy!

Here's an example. The guy calls someone and is placed on hold. Now becuase they sat on hold for 30 mins and only spoke for 5 mins; they want a credit for the 30. Sheesh, it was their choice to stay on hold while using our service and they demand credit! I've got so many stories similar, it's unreal.

Ok, that was a flashback I didn't need, so let me get back on topic.

My suggestion to you is get a copy of the page from a service manual where it shows the plugs and take it in with you. If the dealer see's that the DCX manual says it should have plugs, they shouldn't have a problem getting them for you.

When I got my '04. I told the salesman I wanted the plugs and not the tape and was told "No Problem if it comes with tape." When the vehicle came in, it had tape. The service writer said he wouldn't order them unless they were in the service manual. Being that he only had the info on the '03's and it showed plugs, he ordered them for me.

Not sure if the '04's manual shows plugs, but it's a shot.

Good Luck!!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bowman/David, I dont think you clearly conveyed at all in your email that these plugs are STANDARD equipment your truck was missing, and they are viewable on the DC/Dealer microfiche. I think your email was a bit unclear frankly. I also think the customer service rep kinda blew you off as well. You could try emailing again and painting a more lucid picture of the situation, with a slightly less threatening tone

Another approach is to tell your dealer it's their responsibility. The plugs are on the microfiche and they should have spotted that they were missing during PDI and claimed it. Since they didn't, its their expense IMO.

I just visited my local dealer(didn't buy the truck there) and told them my truck was missing parts. Showed them on the microfiche. They ordered and covered it no questions asked. Sorry yours is such a pain.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:36 PM

I was one of those who had tape and no plugs..i called my dealer and they ordered them for me at dodge expense..they would have happily done the install for free but since i was pressed for time i took them home and did it myself in about 20 mins..my point being..no hassle from the dealer..just a quick check to confirm the situation and part # and a polite apology for selling me a truck in that condition...sounds like the person looking after you needs to do some research
Old 03-18-2004, 08:06 AM

Re: Reply from Dodge/ tape vs. plugs

Originally posted by Bowman

Thank you for your email to DaimlerChrysler regarding your 2004 Dodge
Ram.
Sincerely,

Nicole
I don't want to be unkind, but I would bet that Nicole has not the faintest idea of what you are talking about. What puzzles me most is that with all the discussion on this issue there seems to be complete silence from DC. You would think that they would want a clear understanding on this. Is it a design change as some claim or an omission because they were out of stock?

jr
Old 03-18-2004, 08:14 PM

my dealer ordered the plugs for me and installed them with no real problems...

they ran my vin number to see if the plugs were suppose to be there, and they were, so they ordered them, and 3 months later when all the plugs were in, they installed them [that was last week or week before]

Quick Reply: Reply from Dodge/ tape vs. plugs