3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Replace Brake Fluid Level Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Brake Fluid Level Sensor?

I broke the sensor housing flush with the brake fluid reservoir (don't ask) - I'm already sure I won't be happy with dealer replacement cost! Can the fluid level sensor be replaced without having to drain fluid level so low that the brake system has to be bled? Given the location of this thing, I can't see how - hoping someone out there has a workaround tip. I've already checked the service manual, and the procedure isn't even mentioned - at least not that I could find. Thanks for any help...
Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well don't feel like the Lone Ranger, partner. I was replacing my shocks with Rancho 9000s the other day...........and while trying to ratchet loose the shock tower.......the rachet slipped and broke my sensor also. There sure isn't much room down there for ratcheting movements and I didn't have access to any longer extensions for the ratchet. I am guessing that is the same sensor you are referring too.......since it basically went under or into the brake fluid reservoir.

A friend of mine just worked with it and finally got both pieces out. We disconnected it from the wiring and superglued it together. Replaced it and as far as I know it works fine. I was considering getting a new one from the dealer but I haven't got around to it. I will be curious to find out how much they are and if I should bother replacing it or not.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:10 PM

Yep, that's it - I had my arm over the sensor harness reaching under the master cylinder to get a clear wrench on the back of the filter canister - slipped and pop!
This sucker snapped off almost perfectly flush - but if the superglue worked, I'll try the fishout method first, and replace the sensor as convenient. Dodge dealers here told me today they "can't get that part yet" - then told me it's the same sensor used since 2003!
Thanks for the input!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Had mine done under warranty. You can not buy just the sensor, have to purchase the resevor assembly if you can not repair it. The sensor can be removed and there is no fluid loss. Don't know how it works but it does not contact the brake fluid in any way.

Good luck...Don
Old 03-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Banned

dang thing is a pita anyway, hard on the skinny and the light comes on in the cluster..... thought for the longest time I was tossing a code, turns out the fluid pulls away from the sensor and trips the light for a moment......... or does it happen when I let of too fast ? I forget..
Old 03-02-2006, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMCTD
Yep, that's it - I had my arm over the sensor harness reaching under the master cylinder to get a clear wrench on the back of the filter canister - slipped and pop!
This sucker snapped off almost perfectly flush - but if the superglue worked, I'll try the fishout method first, and replace the sensor as convenient. Dodge dealers here told me today they "can't get that part yet" - then told me it's the same sensor used since 2003!
Thanks for the input!

Let me know how yours turns out. I got really scared once it happened, thinking my truck is going to be stranded for a few days and very expensive part to buy. But I have never seen a code of any type or warning light. I can't tell any difference in the truck from before it happened or after we superglued it together and reinstalled it. Best I can tell the sensor just kinda slips into the bottom part of the plastic of the reservoir but doesn't really touch any fluid or anything. I am not sure exactly what it even does or "senses", if it is in fact a "sensor". Does it possibly have something to do with the ABS system, perhaps?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe that after studing the wiring diagrams and function block diagrams some time ago that the sensor is an intregrial part of the ABS system. Although mine was broken by the dealer when he changed my lift pump the ABS light never came on and I like above just stuck it back in place till the new part arrived. I was told that you can not order just the sensor, must order the resevor assembly.

Hope this helps. If you have access to the service menual follow the brake block diagram.

Good Luck ..... Don
Old 03-02-2006, 07:59 PM

TexCTD/donhov - I checked the service manual, and saw that the sensor is part and parcel to the ABS wiring - but like you, I have seen no MILs or codes. Gonna try to get the pieces apart and try gluing it. If it bonds well, I'll probably just leave it. If not, I can get a reservoir w/ sensor for about 50 bucks, and will just swap the sensor in - either keep the reservoir or hock it on Ebay. My basic concern was over having to drain the reservoir to change the sensor out - according to the service manual, ABS systems can't be bled correctly or effectively without a DRBIII tool! ABS requires a manual bleed, followed by activating the system w/ the DRB to get fluid throughout all components, and then another manual bleed. Dealership told me replacing the sensor and system bleed is a 3 hour job - glad I don't have to go that route!
Thanks for the info and help!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 PM

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Brake Fluid Level Sensor Part #

Yes - I know this is an old thread. It comes up in a Google search however for trying to solve this problem, and since there is an easy solution, wanted to make it find-able and search-able.

The brake fluid level sensor for a 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 can be purchased by itself. The part is Airtex 5S1206.

It is basically a Reed switch, activated magnetically, that is used in multiple brake systems - the Viper for one.

If your Brake MIL is on and it is not a pedal issue, this might be the cause. All other resolutions to this problem say you need to buy the reservoir with the sensor. In fact when I searched, all I could find initially was the entire master cylinder w/reservoir.

Rockauto.com sells the switch, as well as Professional Mechanics Choice Auto Parts (where I bought mine for $20).

Hope this helps someone in the future.