3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Removing front bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing front bumper cover

Can anybody tell me how to remove the bumper cover on the front of my SLT? You know the top part that's painted body color? I tried to a while back when I hurculined the chrome part of my bumper, the bottom edge of the cover is causing the liner to chip in a couple spots so I'd like to remove it, line the part under the cover, then put some weather striping inside it to keep it from rubbing on the bumper. I saw a few tabs inside the bumper and the screws in the wheel wells, but after fiddling around with it a bit I couldnt get it off. Help is appreciated.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:55 AM

I had mine apart a few months ago when I replaced the chrome piece with a painted one. I have an 05 but it should be close to the same. You are going to have to remove the bumper assembly because there are some screws that are not accessible if you don't, plus it is easier. The bumper assembly comes off with just 4 bolts and an electrical connection. Once you remove the bumper you will see it is pretty easy. There are 4 or 5 plastic screws in the large opening of the bumper and a bunch of plastic tabs that you need to squeeze and push through the whole. There are also a couple screws on the sides. You may have to remove a fog light bracket to get to one of them, i don't remember. Either way, once you remove the bumper I am sure you will have no problem figuring out how to remove the plastic cover.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:08 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Great directions. Just remember you are dealing with plastic. Everything should come off without pliers.

Chris
Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The instructions above are correct if you can get the bolt set out. One mine the bolt/holder were pointing towards the outside of the vehicle. There was not enough room between the bracket and intercooler/radiator to pull the bolt out. You can just as easy or easier I think remove the 3 nuts on each side on the bracket that the bumper mounts too. I know that is very confusing. I hope the pictures below will clarify. The bolts marked in blue I could not get out. The bolts in red are the ones that I removed to remove the bumper.

On mine this set off bolts did not have enough clearance to come out to remove the bumper.

The nuts marked red are the nuts I removed to remove the bumper assembly.

All of the pieces of the bumper assembly.

With the bumper assembly removed as I stated above.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:45 AM

BTW when I Herculined mine I stripped it all down and used a Dewalt grinder first with rock and then very course sandpaper to scuff up the chrome. Took the better part of a day to do.

I am very happy with the results so far.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Yea I've had the bumper off a few times before (use to have a ranchhand style replacement) but never paid attention to the plastic part. When I lined mine I just taped it all up and scuffed the crud out of the chrome then used self-etching primer. It held up great for a while but now it's startin to chip. I've touched it up a couple times, so I'm going to do this one last time and go all out.

Ramwheels, looks like you used a roller for yours. I think I remember you posting about doing yours, think we did them about the same time....it was just a few months ago right? I'm hopping to be able to get my bed, bed rails, rocker panels Line-Xed soon, so I might just have them hit the front bumper and rear replacement at the same time....couldnt cost too much more.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 13MWZ
Yea I've had the bumper off a few times before (use to have a ranchhand style replacement) but never paid attention to the plastic part. When I lined mine I just taped it all up and scuffed the crud out of the chrome then used self-etching primer. It held up great for a while but now it's startin to chip. I've touched it up a couple times, so I'm going to do this one last time and go all out.

Ramwheels, looks like you used a roller for yours. I think I remember you posting about doing yours, think we did them about the same time....it was just a few months ago right? I'm hopping to be able to get my bed, bed rails, rocker panels Line-Xed soon, so I might just have them hit the front bumper and rear replacement at the same time....couldnt cost too much more.
I used the roller on the rear bumper, which was the first thing I did. It came out ok, but the texture of the liner is a little heavier than I wanted. Played around with the brush some and found if you use a brush and just dab it on you get a closer, tighter, smaller texture. It is slow and tedius to use the brush, but worth the result to me. On the bed the roller texture is fine.

Yes I did mine the end of November. Just have to see how it holds up over time. So far I am very satisfied.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Glad I found this post....I was begining to think I had messed up more on my bumper when I couldn't get the 2 bolts on the strap out. thanks for posting this with photos.