3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Remote Start recomedations

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start recomedations

Anyone got any ideas for remote start/alarm/disable systems?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a code alarm on one of my camaro's that worked really well. I had an avatel(sp) on one of my chevy trucks it was ok this was a few years ago on the chev. I really liked the code alarm for the simplicity, range, and the remote start worked like a charm. I think it was $379 installed.

that have some crazy two way comunication models out now where it will actully show you whether you alarm is armed not, if you windows are rolled down if you buy the window modules. gets expensive though. I tend to like a simple setup with a long range tha does not hurt my wallet.

funny story though. never wash your keys. My car like started up and shut off. started up again. Though someone was stealing it. was about 11pm. I come flying out of bed run out side buck *** naked to throw a beating on someone only ther was not anyboy there. just lights a flashing car starting up and shuting off. was funny as hell. My wife is like *** are you thinking. are you really going to chase someone buck naked.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:00 AM

hahaha! I bet everyone else was thinking the same thing 2!!!

good thing you don't live in an apartment!!
Old 10-08-2004, 12:27 AM

Go here and get DC REMOTE Start System:http://www.mopar.com/m_acc_home.jsp?page_name=dodge

This is designe to work with the Sentry key system if you have the Laramie.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:09 AM

Got some of the laramie options, I did'nt want the leather seats, or the auto dim rearview......... I'd probably starngle somone if they sat down with a screwdriver in thier pocket, the tint is dark enough on the back to not need an auto dim mirror

That setup looks effective. However, I'm not sure I trust any security OEM. I was looking at one that has a little picture on the keyring to let me know that it started, and it has a whole lot of other bells and whistles..................but it cost a mint too...........let's see.... functionality........be broke for a while hahaha

This is the one I'm eyballin..... key things I am looking for.
1. Security system, i.e. shuts off after say 3 minutes after the break pedal is pushed if the key is not inserted.
2. Wait to start timer
3. Turbo cool down timer. After key is out to wait x min b4 shutting off.
4. Timer to auto start every so often and run for so long
5. Saftey device, such as will not start if hood is up.

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showd...oduct_ID=61885
Old 10-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Banned

I wonder if this will work on my '02

http://www.hotbuyelectronics.com/audiovox_aps786.htm
Old 10-08-2004, 11:21 AM

you have to love the price of OEM accesories. it is like $345 for remote start just in parts. you could have a complete aftermarket alarm iwth remote start instlalled for that.

I am trying to figure out how an installation kit can be $199. that is more than a complete alarm if you just buy an alarm.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:51 PM

Yeah it's expensive but it has been tried and tested with the CTD and is included in the DC warranty even if you install it. Oh yeah you don't have splice any wires either
Old 10-08-2004, 11:42 PM

I bought the DC remote start for my truck, it cost me $270.00 Wholesale for three separate part numbers that it would take to hook it up with the sentry key system. I decided today, NOT to install this system on my truck for a number of reasons.

The biggest reason is, it does not integrate with the factory alarm remote. What I mean by this is that you have to carry a separate remote on your key chain just for the remote start system. I thought that it would come with a four button remote that you could program to Arm or Disarm the factory alarm/key-less system. Or I thought you could program the factory remote I already have to work the remote start. From reading the directions that is not the case.

The next reason is that it has absolutely ZERO features on it for the money. It will remotely start your truck and that is it!

Today I ordered a Valet branded system which is made by the same company that makes Viper, Clifford, Avistart and other brands. The company is called Directed Electronics so you can check out their website. It seems that they make most of the alarms sold in the USA. The only other major company I came across was Audiovox which also makes the Code Alarms.

I paid $335 with shipping for a Top of the line system with the 2-way remote that tells you if the truck is actually running or not, vibrates or beeps if the alarm is going off, has a built in turbo timer, will start the truck at regular intervals overnight if you want in really cold weather, and has a full featured alarm with Motion sensor.

The BIG advantage to the DC alarm is that it is pretty much plug and play. I believe you still have to splice into three separate wires though. The Valet system I bought has a least 20 splices. I'm going to attempt the install myself. We'll see how it goes next week. Sorry to be so long winded.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:31 AM

I kinda want to stay away from the OEM stuff, since that is not thier primary source of income, I am afraid that they might not be as concerned with features or actual security. I like the after market one int my other post. I can't afford one right niw, so I suppose I;ll shop around for a while.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:04 PM

Take a look at the Ultra, Mind blowing range!! great alarm system, 2-way will tell you if it starts, which is fine if your a mile a way. If you have a cold cummins and a 5 inch stove pipe under it, You can **** near here it a block away when it starts.
( my neighbors hate me!! ) not sure about the cool down timer?? The 6 speed is a little more for install.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:50 PM

well that sucks I was going to eat the retarded cost for the fatory one thinking just like you that it would have a remote that would do everthing.

Leave it to them charge you out the *** but not five you a prorabable remote that does it all.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:55 PM

With technology out there I should be notified wearever I am with a GPS transmitter through cellular technology. That was hopefull I won't have to go through what that man in Pheonix went through...............
Old 10-11-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I love my remote starter. Almost better than sex!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:00 AM

Thanks for all the posts!!! Would you guys mind posting model/part numbers for the various systems you installed. I too am looking for that all in 1 solution. I'll be d@mned if I'm gonna scrape snow/ice. The crap can just melt off startin at 5am for all I care. The rumble is kind of soothing I've got keyless entry and that's it. Figured on doing this from the start. I want an alarm too... Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Remote Start recomedations