3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

remote start? and idle time

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start? and idle time

i have an 06 and want to put in a remote start. I had 1 in my 01 1500 and loved it. So i want to put 1 in my 06 cummins, i plow and stuff and like a warmed up truck to climb in to rather than makeing the mad dash at 2 in the morning during a snow storm in my slippers so that way i can let it run for a half hour and get a little more sleep. Does any 1 have 1 in there truck? if so how does it work out for you and how is it when its like 10-20 degrees out side and over all? would you recomend it and what are the pro's and con's with it? my other question is goes any 1 know what the fuel idle time is? like how much fuel the truck will use idleing by the hour incase i leave it running during the night for a few hours or so?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:25 AM

Unlike a gasser it won't warm up much at idle.It really needs to start and have high idle enabled or to run at high idle,1200 to 1500 rpm.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your 06 should have the high idle software in the ECM.

Most remote starts will only run for an allotted time, usually under 30 minutes.
I start mine, let it time out, then restart it. If the truck is plugged in I start it 15 minutes before I leave.

HTH

Where in Ma. are you?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:37 AM

I've got it on mine and like it very much. It's set to run for 10 minutes. Like the other guy said, diesels don't warm up much just idling, but it does get the oil pressure up and start defrosting. Most experts don't recommend leaving diesel engines running for long periods of time with no load. Better off starting it up when you're ready to go somewhere and save the fuel you'd waste. Quickest way to warm up your truck is to keep it in a heated garage or keep the block heater plugged in.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:29 AM

NOSPIN4ME im from tyngsboro. my old remote start on may gasser i set so it would run until the tank was empty. so sense it might not do that much does any one know how much fuel the truck will idle through in an hour?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:47 PM

I thought DIESELS were made to idle for hours on end?

I always see truckers idling for hours at truck stops....
Old 06-12-2006, 03:29 AM

NO there not.Its even bad on big trucks.No heat produced at idle.Like a slow burn in a fire place and it coaks the chimmey.On diesels it coaks the rings and cyl.walls.Lots of discussion on this if you do a search.Thats why the HIGH idle feature comes on in cold temps and the 05 up can be programed to use it through the cruise function.Older trucks had a hand throttle to bring rpm's up manualy.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:35 AM

Remote starts are great in diesels, it won't get warm like the gas engine but it will be warmer than just jumping in. You can program how long they run for, and though I don't know an actual number they will hurt the fuel economy considerably. Then again plowing will also hurt the fuel milage ALOT! The only con is the reduced fuel economy, but a warmer truck is well worth it. Not to mention the AC in the summer.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:00 AM

While I don't have remote start....

The remote start should warm up the motor....AS LONG AS IT HAS THE FACTORY JAKE.

One feature of the factory jake (exhaust brake) is to close the butterfly at idle (700-1000rpm) when the water temp is less than 170F. And, yes, the jake works with Automajic trannies for '06. Basically, the jake is turning the engine ito a HUGE air (ok, exhaust) compressor, so the sngine sees a load & has to work harder than just idling.

If you plug in 2hrs before startup and run the jake on startup, you should have a pretty warm truck in about 10-15 minutes. If you can get the remote start to trigger the high idle, the truck will warm up even faster. Saves time and fuel!

I was at the lake in March...70F day & had trouble getting the boat on the trailer (rotted bunk). The truck actually came up to operating temp in ~15 minutes of idling.

BTW...the High idle is not limited by temperature. I use in in AZ to get the AC going, when waiting for the wife or loading groceries.

HTH

Tony
Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 AM

The remote start should warm up the motor....AS LONG AS IT HAS THE FACTORY JAKE.
It will warm up with or without the Jake. Maybe not to the same temperature, and certainly no to normal driving temp. but it will warm up. We're used to single digit and teens temps. up here and it does make a big difference.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 PM

Everyone has there own opinion on this matter about idling but I would leave out on sunday and never shutdown my big truck until i got back in on friday or saturday. The truck had about 700k on it and ran like a top, I say if you can afford the fuel then go for it and let it idle if thats what you want.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
NO there not.Its even bad on big trucks.No heat produced at idle.Like a slow burn in a fire place and it coaks the chimmey.On diesels it coaks the rings and cyl.walls.Lots of discussion on this if you do a search.Thats why the HIGH idle feature comes on in cold temps and the 05 up can be programed to use it through the cruise function.Older trucks had a hand throttle to bring rpm's up manualy.
I have a 2004 305 555 auto and had the high ilde cruise control thing activated by the dealer.
I think all 3rd gens have this feature, but needs to be activated by dealer.
Autos only...BTW I do like this feature.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:37 AM

Not 03s.They have the auto feature but not able to be programed through cruise function.I have a pull/twist lock cable I need to hook to fuel pedal and make mine manual.Just need to do it and haven't.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 AM

Question

What brand/company did you guys get your remote start from?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
.Older trucks had a hand throttle to bring rpm's up manualy.
you mean there is a hand throttle that you can set so that it will stay up in the r's to get warm if so where is it at on an 03?

Quick Reply: remote start? and idle time