3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Red die off road diesel???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Your SK laws could vary widely from many of the states.
Yes the laws vary from the states but I was refering to the Canadian laws. And perhaps between provinces the laws are different also. But the quote Posted by Little03
"I know in canada its illegal to have dyed diesel in on road trucks." Is not entirelly true and I was trying to help clarify.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll tell you what I heard from a Dodge service manager. If you take it in and the fuel filter or other fuel system parts shows the usage of red fuel and your wanting warranty work on the fuel system they will tell you tough luck as you voided your fuel system warranty by using off road, red dyed dirty fuel. Also Dodge suggest they call the state government an inform them that you have been using non taxed fuel in your on road truck. If you can I would run as much 2-5% Bio I could to help clean out any traces of the red dye.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:14 PM

Up here in MT we have a station that sells both LSD and ULSD in dyed and nondyed fuel. LSD was .06 cheaper than ULSD last time I fueled up.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 PM

the fuel we run in towboats here on the ohio and mississippi run on the unlimited sulfer fuels. its died red, although not so red all the time.

i figure money can buy anything, so where could one get the high slufer stuf thats not died red. heck, id pay the road tax, i would just like to get the high sulfer stuff, maybe 5,000 gallons.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:21 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmikegraham
Sarcasm, not intelligence comparison.

Depends on the supplier

http://www.mapllc.com/content/docume...0291MAR019.pdf

http://www.frontieroil.com/attachmen...lfurDiesel.pdf

http://www.rmisonline.com/chemicalda...o1.aspx?SID=56

We'll see how things go after the next big hurricane and red fuel gets run through a bunch of DPF trucks.
Noted.

I concur...
Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 PM

I can tell you that it can discolor your filter housing if you don't run a tank or two through it, They meaning the refineries say there is a difference in the two in the begining but I thinkk they have made the full switch off road equipment is higher in sulfer and the dealer will make a big stink about it I have seen my dealership void the warranty on truck as well as ford has too
Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by DBLR
I'll tell you what I heard from a Dodge service manager. If you take it in and the fuel filter or other fuel system parts shows the usage of red fuel and your wanting warranty work on the fuel system they will tell you tough luck as you voided your fuel system warranty by using off road, red dyed dirty fuel. Also Dodge suggest they call the state government an inform them that you have been using non taxed fuel in your on road truck. If you can I would run as much 2-5% Bio I could to help clean out any traces of the red dye.
Just that fuel is dyed red does not mean that the quality is low. There is a lot of offroad construction equipment and stationary industrial engines that run dyed fuel. Their engines are worth one heck of a lot more than your measily little dodge truck. Most of these people take their fuel very seriously and require high quality fuel. They buy a lot of fuel and if the supplier doesn't provide good quality, their are others that will jump at the chance to provide for such a lucrative contract.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Gents, there are a lot of variables here. Let's not get ruffled about other peoples experiences. I have seen some horrible off road fuel, just because of how the person was storing it. I'm sure that it comes out of the pump/truck just the same as the un-dyed version, and then can go bad from there...
Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 PM

I wouldnt do it in my truck, the fines here in texas are $2500 for first offense and the second is $25,000. i was informed by the dps officer. i dont see why anybody would want to do it here in tx. But people do. Run an additive or a quart of the thin oil throught your fuel system before you take it in.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:55 PM

Pretty much every state and every province has different laws regarding the use of dyed fuel on and off road. Some can, some can't.

I am assuming that if you are concerned about bringing it into the dealer with dyed fuel you are not legal. If the fuel is no longer in your truck I don't see how they can complain even if the filter is slightly off-color. Around here a large number of people run dyed fuel legally so nobody cares. I personally have never been to a dealer that was so **** as to complain about that even if it was illegal. If he wants my busy he will work for me, not Dodge. There's lots of dealers out there so find one that gives good service and is honest.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:36 PM

When i took mine in a couple months ago to get the injecters replaced under warrantie i had a bunch of dyed in. they wanted to take the tank out and flush it. they claimed they did it fairly often on injector replacements. i didnt argue too much. figured i had no idea what the guy was putting in there the 3 yrs b4 i had it. and id been at various stations(and put in some dyed) over the 10 months id owned it. they said it was pretty clean though. but the fuel they gave back in 5 gal pails was as red as cranberry juice. i kinda thought i hadn't put any in on the farm for awhile but i guess i had. (was driving my gaser a bunch since the weather was cold)
but they never said anything. its a nice dealership, buts its in a hick town and surrounded by farms, so i think they understand. they didn't sample the fuel or nothin. asked me about farm stuff, and sugested we had a filter on it. i said we did, but i only use the dyed maybe 1/3 of the time.
i dont think its illegal in manitoba. but your suposed to be hauling cattle, feed or taking a tractor tire to get fixed, etc. but i dont think you'd get hassled too much as long as you had farm plates.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There r a ton of variables to consider, i wouldn't run the red or the regular diesel from an above ground tank that wasn't mine. When filling up always ask for a receipt incase u bought taxed red somewhere. Too me its just not worth the risk, my friend stoped running red cause he had too many water probs. and as a result had algea growth..If u run your own red out of a quailty tank and highly filtered setup, that is ideal. Its not illegal to use unless u get caught....farm use is exempt from tax but im not sure what happens once the truck is off the farm and on public roads...even if u make your own fuels u are required to pay quarterly tax on that fuel.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Friend of mine got caught.......truck stop ratted on him......cost him $11,000.00.....not worth the risk to me.