3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rebuilding Totaled Truck ~ Lots of Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding Totaled Truck ~ Lots of Pics!!!

I bought this 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCSB already totaled to rebuild. It has an Auto transmission and 105K on it. Doesn't have gooseneck ball in bed, carfax shows the miles were accumulated very quickly (had like 75k on it at 18months old.)

Enjoy...

Home and unloaded...

Cutting the smashed front end off.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:29 PM

Nearly burned the forklift up trying to pull it up the hill around to front of the shop.

Finally got her on the Frame rack and got motor pulled.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Frame bent worse than I thought. Decided to buy a new frame and reframe the truck. So gotta strip her down. Pull the cab and bed etc.

Here are some pics of the bent frame, notice it is bent in several places.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Got the new frame rolling now, and got motor and trans back in.

That's where I am at thus far... I found that the transmission heat exchanger has 4 fittings on it and one was ripped, the metal was torn. (Very thin, not much thicker than a Soda can) Got a new one in and got it put on. Also when everything gave in the crash, something moved back and hit one of the top 2 bolts on the timing cover and busted the top off of the inner timing cover. Again, (Cast metal - easy to bust) Just got one ordered and should have it next week.

The question now is since I have to pull the cam etc. to replace inner timing cover whether or not I should put a cam in now. I havn't decided yet. Anyway stay tuned...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Looks like you're in the right direction.

Make sure the drive shaft wasn't pushed into the trans too hard. Probably not, but that was a pretty square hit, but high and the frame rails did get hurt. So the chances are slim, bit it's worth the look.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM

would be a perfect opprotunity to install a COLT camshaft... get rid of the factory "in cylinder EGR camshaft" !!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That is one heck of a project!! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more pics!

And a big YES on the new cam right now. You will kick yourself later if you don't.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the support guys! Glad I shared. I love to hear the ideas etc! I am planning on putting a cam in, think I'm goin 181/210.

Do any of you guys have any experience towing etc. with electric fans? I am thinking about going with the flex-a-lite fans.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No experience with but I have read several times that the electric fans will not put out as much air as the stock unit when towing.

Looking forward to more of the build.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shorts
No experience with but I have read several times that the electric fans will not put out as much air as the stock unit when towing.

Looking forward to more of the build.
x2... while I have no first hand experience with electric fans on a Cummins, it will be very hard to match the performance and reliability of the stock fan/clutch/shroud setup... If you attempt it, keep in mind that you will need TONS of surface area and CFM... Its gonna take one heck of a set of fans to keep up with the CAC, A/C, Radiator, and various other coolers when working hard in the heat...
Not saying it cant be done, its just gonna have to be a perfectly matched set of fans and shrouds...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Does Flex-A-Lite have any test data that will support it will do the same job as the stock fan set-up, may be worth a call...if not, IMHO, I would stick with the stock cooling set-up.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Don't know Akita, I need to call them tomorrow and play 20 questions. Everybody I have talked to that DID own them really liked them and didn't have problems out of them.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:30 PM

There is another thread started on Towing with high horse power and electric fans in the high performance forum for 3rd gens, you may want to check that one out too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 PM

I did the exact same build you are doing including cam removal. I didn't switch it while I had it out and have regretted it since. Don't second guess yourself, switch it now and be happy you did.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
would be a perfect opprotunity to install a COLT camshaft... get rid of the factory "in cylinder EGR camshaft" !!!!
"in cylinder egr camshaft?" please fill me in here

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Totaled Truck ~ Lots of Pics!!!