3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rear Windshield Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Windshield Leaking

Hello fellas. I hope you all are enjoying your New Years, I know I sure am.

Anyways i'll get on to my rant.

Me and about 5 buddies went up to the snow today to do some 4 wheeling in our trucks. Had a great day, I was more then happy w/ the performace of my truck in deep snow & mud mixed. All that torque in 4wL with my Toyo M/T's sure made me happy when I was climbing up steep hills like it was cake. I did suffer some damage today though. Turned around on a road and there was a nice size bolder waiting for me, I knicked it with the black lip that sits under the front of my bumper. It ripped off on one corner but I can either jerry rig it back up or take it off completly. Still haven't decided on an option yet.

Alright, So now onto the reason why I started this thread.

A buddy in my back seat pointed out to me that water was dripping on his neck. Sure enough my rear windshield is leaking slightly, it was pouring down pretty hard and it wasn't seeping in quickly but none the less it was leaking. I got home and put two and two together. Who ever owned my truck before me hauled a 5th wheel, I still have my hook up in the bed and a power brake up front. I have a slight dent in the top of my truck on the right rear passanger side, it looks almost like someone jack knifed the 5th wheel dented the top pillar of the truck and possibly broke the windshield? I also seen some chalk writing on my windshield on the top portion of it, leading me to beleive that it was replaced at some time possibley.

Has any one experienced this and what was their outcome? My truck is under warranty still and im taking it in to have them either A. Install new weatherstripping or B. Replace the windshield. Last thing I want to deal w/ is the inside of my truck soaked in water.

Thanks for bearing the long read.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:33 AM

YUP, sounds like the cab got bumped by the RV. May have had body
work done. I'd check real close. Probably can solve the leak with
silicone or windshield sealant. Short bed right ??...HOUTEX
Old 01-03-2006, 09:42 AM

Yea it's a short bed. I'm almost posotive the windshield was cracked or broken at once. Just the dent in the top of the truck and the writing on the window leads me to beleive that.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:15 AM

My rear window leaked once while it was raining really hard. I was pretty upset but it never has done it again. That was over a year ago.....
Old 01-03-2006, 04:22 PM

It was raining pretty decent when it started leaking. On the way home it was pouring alot harder and it didn't leak. Mabe it's just a crack in the seal somewhere.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:19 PM

I wonder if all the body flexing while 4x4ing caused a break in the seal?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:59 PM

That crossed my mind, I put my truck through the rigs and it took a licking and kept on ticking. But I just don't think that it would of broke the seal. I wouldn't think that the cab, especially the seal of the rear windshield would be bending or twisting like that. But then again you never know.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:05 AM

The left hand corner in my present 3rd gen, and last 2 Dodge trucks has leaked. Never did figure it out, it wasn't really that bad.