3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rear Back Up Camera to work with the factory Nav.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Back Up Camera to work with the factory Nav.

OK, I finally did it! Install took about 1.5 hours since I was intentionally working slow and don't really do this kinda thing a lot.

I ordered the REC LOCKPICK and the camera they offer too. Everything is as stated and I am very pleased with the operation and ease of install. Only sore point was the rear camera power and ground wire was way too short to reach from the rear bumper to the head unit. I had to use speaker wire for an extension.

You may choose a different route. I entered the cab of the truck though the existing hole in the fire wall where the steering shaft (not sure if the terminology is correct) goes through. A bunch of zip ties and its all done.

Here is a link for those who have an interest. Nothing for me to gain, just a happy customer and thought I would share....

http://www.coastaletech.com/REC_LOCKPICK.htm
Old 11-26-2008, 02:42 AM

Man I hope it works with my 06.... I guess some of the late 06s came with the reverse camera capability this plugs into...
Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Did you have to pull your radio to check for the connector on the back? OR, was there a way to see or reach up and feel for it?

My REC was replaced in Dec 07 under warranty, maybe I'll be lucky enough to have the connector on the radio.

CD
Old 11-26-2008, 03:19 PM

I wanted to be certain, so yes I did take out the radio unit to double check. Its really easy! With a flat head screw driver you can pop off the decorative trim around the radio which also includes the seat heater switches etc... I had more luck getting the trim piece to pop off from the lowest fasteners. Be gentle and you can also put a small cloth around the screwdriver. After this is removed, then there are 4 "phillips" screws holding the radio unit in. Remove these and check the rear for the pin connection.

Install of the system is about this level of difficulty, if you want to do it yourself. Honestly, if I can do it.... you can!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM

This makes me wonder if my 07.5 Nav unit has a plug on it for a back up camera. It's a shame some one hasn't come out with a camera that will read on ths Nav display. I've been wanting such a setup!!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:40 AM

The 09s do have that capability.

It's funny. Some trucks don't have the bottom screws holding the dash bezel onto the dash. That makes it really easy to get to the head unit. Some trucks do have those screws and you have to remove the whole center console before you can get to them...
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM

This should have been included with the Nav system in the first place, especially for the prices Dodge charged for the Nav. Lifted trucks have large blind spots right behind them, and that rear view sure would help...
Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 PM

Rear view cameras ROCK!! I put one in my truck and connected it to my Pioneer Navi and it works great. I installed it into the tailgate spoiler and the angle is perfect. I can see about 10 to 15 feet behind me and I can back my truck up to a trailer perfectly without even having to budge the trailer one bit after backing up. You can line up the ball and tounge with ease!