3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rammed a Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rammed a Toyota

Today I was driving over to the car wash to get my truck cleaned up since I got my tires installed this morning. I was going to go down and take some pictures at the beach but while driving to the carwash a Toyota decided he didnt wanna run the yellow light so at the very last second he slammed on the brakes leaving me nowhere to go. I hit him about 45 which launched him all the way through the intersection and up against a lightpole. A testimony to Dodge all my truck needs is a front bumper. As soon as I heard the crunch I knew my front end was trashed but I was lucky enough that it bend up over the oil cooler. It missed the oil cooler by about a inch. The fog lights are still intact with the brackets. What should I do now. Im debating on ordering a 07 Laramie Bumper or maybe just another bumper like I have. Has anyone seen a SRT-10 a body kit on a 3/4 ton or atleast the front clip
Old 10-03-2007, 12:56 AM

Get a Ranch Hand full replacement and really mess him up next time!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Banned

What carnage was done to the Toyota ? I see a hike on your insurance premium in the future. Hope everyone involved is ok.

I agree get a Ranch Hand or put the same OEM bumper back on. I say at 45 mph the bumper did a good job of protecting the engine compartment.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wreedCTD

Amen!!! then you wont be looking for a bumper if it ever happens again
Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 AM

If there is one MFG that has cheaper paint and thinner metal than Dodge, it's toyota. Poor guy.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 AM

Well it really reminded me of bumper cars to be honest he was almost stopped and then I slammed him and he went flying across the intersection. The tailgate, rear bedsides and bumper were all smashed in about a foot. The dodge bumper did a really good job of protecting everything. I just hooked the bumper to a light pole with a tow strap about a hour ago and straightened it so its not so hitious. The cop looked at me and just laughed and said its a dodge when he seen the front end. Im trying to get a copy of the video. It was at a bad intersection so they have cameras all over it. Everyone was alright im sore. And he was pretty shaken up.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM

The government still had to spend millions on a research program to figure out that larger trucks and SUV's are damaged far less than a small car when both are in an accident together.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:31 PM

I also agree about getting a Ranchhand-haven't hit any vehicles with mine, but have taken out those uppity orange barrels that tend to jump out in front of me, and they barely left a scratch-plus people tend to not stop short in front of you when they see that in their rear view mirror.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:52 PM

I put a ranchhand legand on my truck about 3 weeks ago. Deer are so thick around here that you can't hardly drive in the evenings without hitting one.

Like posted above , the traffic treats you with respect with a ranchhand.

TallTom
Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto!!!

Originally Posted by wreedCTD
I hit a cow at 70mph on unlit freeway at night when my truck was barely 4 months old. Hit just below the cross-hairs and did nearly $12K in damage. Geico kindly covered it all (minus deductible and additional $400 for RanchHand instead of stock replacement). Next time will be only hamburger or shredded metal from "hittee" instead of damage to my truck.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 AM

I had a ranchhand on a 2001 Dodge CTD but how much more do they weigh over stock. I dont really want to add that much weight where its gonna affect my tire wear and other suspension components.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtrimmell
I had a ranchhand on a 2001 Dodge CTD but how much more do they weigh over stock. I dont really want to add that much weight where its gonna affect my tire wear and other suspension components.

Mine is supposed to weigh 305lbs before the winch. That is a Legend Series Ranch Hand (winch ready) for a 3rd gen.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

I guess that's good lesson on why you shouldn't tailgate...especially when going through a yellow light!

Hopefully he doesn't try to sue you now.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 PM

For one I wasnt tailgating. And that little 05 Toyota Tacoma stops a hell of alot faster then my truck. There was also a Police Officer sitting at the other side of the light and he seen everything. The guy tried to lie to the officer but he simply said I watched the whole thing. He knows I tried to stop and it was also on camera. I didnt get in any trouble and it was filed as a no fault accident which means his insurance is paying for his truck. So if he would try anything the officer gave me his number and all of his information and said he would be more then happy if that guy tries to do anything. Which he cant and he has no way to do anything about it. So now im out a bumper because im not gonna make insurance pay for my bumper. Back to the main subject. So if that bumper only weighs 350 lbs do you TexasCTD think it would weigh my truck in down enough to sink it? It sits perfectly level with the 2.5" Leveling Springs.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jtrimmell
For one I wasnt tailgating. And that little 05 Toyota Tacoma stops a hell of alot faster then my truck. There was also a Police Officer sitting at the other side of the light and he seen everything. The guy tried to lie to the officer but he simply said I watched the whole thing. He knows I tried to stop and it was also on camera. I didnt get in any trouble and it was filed as a no fault accident which means his insurance is paying for his truck. So if he would try anything the officer gave me his number and all of his information and said he would be more then happy if that guy tries to do anything. Which he cant and he has no way to do anything about it. So now im out a bumper because im not gonna make insurance pay for my bumper. Back to the main subject. So if that bumper only weighs 350 lbs do you TexasCTD think it would weigh my truck in down enough to sink it? It sits perfectly level with the 2.5" Leveling Springs.
I thought the main subject was you rear-ending a Toyota.

I call not being able to stop in an emergency, tailgating...not sure what you call it? In most states you are automatically at fault if you hit someone in the rear. If you had adaquate distance ahead for your big truck to stop, then there would be no accident.

Sounds like you got really lucky with the cop and the fact you live in a "no-fault" state. Just remember cops are not attorneys though.

Quick Reply: Rammed a Toyota