3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Quick cb antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinceg99
What about firestiks? I thought those were pretty decent? I'm not looking for the best out there but I really dont want to mount an antenna on my roof, I was thinking about 2 of them in the stake pockets right behind the cab I know its not the best or second best locations but I dont want them to be in the way with my trailer and not really sure if i want to mount them up front by the fenders.
Two firestik antennas behind the cab look the best (IMO) and perform the worst.

The 3rd best location is on the front fender ........... followed by the mirror, followed by the front stake pocket.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JHardwick
Two firestik antennas behind the cab look the best (IMO) and perform the worst.

The 3rd best location is on the front fender ........... followed by the mirror, followed by the front stake pocket.
Well 2 behind the cab perform the worst but how bad is the worst? Or better question what kind of range WOULD I get?

Heck I have seen PLENTY of trucks with them right behind the cab and plenty in pics on this very website anyone with them behind the cab care to speak up and let some people know your range?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:16 AM

Wilson 1000 here.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a mag mount on a plate at the front corner of the bed (#5 position)

and when I got the new Cobra 29 and checked the SRW's ,,,, there was no way of getting them close to being acceptable. I have only used the radio on longer trips and then I stick the antenna up on the roof, but I can't leave it up there and still park the truck under my carport, so it's under the back seat right now. I think I'm going to look for the hood mount (#3) and try that out.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Well 2 behind the cab perform the worst but how bad is the worst? Or better question what kind of range WOULD I get?
It's hard to say in terms of miles exactly, but you'll be talking backwards basically. Range has a lot of variables like power out of the radio, SWR, grounding etc

Heck I have seen PLENTY of trucks with them right behind the cab and plenty in pics on this very website anyone with them behind the cab care to speak up and let some people know your range?
I understand that, but a lot of people just don't know any better. I've kind of taken up radio as a hobby, and I read a lot and visit a pretty cool forum like this one, only the topic is radios.

We are talking about a ground plane antenna, and the antenna uses the vehicle as the ground plane ........... so it's pretty darn important.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 AM

I'm nor sure of the range of mine. I don't know of a way to test that.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM

...but I thought it wouldn't be too much of a problem since the loading of a fiberglass (4' firestik firefly) was all a foot above the cab?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by BMH95
...but I thought it wouldn't be too much of a problem since the loading of a fiberglass (4' firestik firefly) was all a foot above the cab?
The best way to get a range indication is to scan the CB band and find a local on a base station ........... check it driving to, and away from the base.

Remember, and antenna makes a RF wave, and transmits from top-to-bottom of the antenna .......... not just out the tip.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 AM

GRRR CB's are a pain! I guess in all reality I could use a magnet on the top when im hauling then just pull it down when im not (dont want it to hit everything) I know I dont want to put a hole in my roof and mount it permenantly there.

OK so if it is working from the rear then (if mounted on the bed) so that means I would have better range behind me I assume? if so that would kind of be pointless considering I want to know what im driving into not what I already drove through...lol
Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 AM

I was using a wilson 1000 mag mount on my Ford (oops sorry for the four letter word) I will be using the same antenna with a roof mount on my 01 ctd as the truck already has a hole in the roof for an existing gps antenna which I will be removing. The Wilson is by FAR the best antenna I have ever had. Well worth the money.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 AM

im runnin 2 5 foot firestick on my took box, only one is hooked up other one is for looks. have no prob with signal
Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 AM

I'm running a General Lee from RadioActiveRadios.com with the Super Wacky Pack, a RK-56 mic, and a Wilson 5000 Mag Mount on my company truck. I don't have a radio in the Mega Cab yet.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

the GL is a great radio.. i sold my old one to CAMOTANKER when i upgraded to the 95t2. we have no issues talking 20+ miles thru the foothills in the PNW.

both of us use the mack daddy 102.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:06 AM

I know I dont want to put a hole in my roof and mount it permenantly there.
Why not? You spent good money on your radio and antenna, why sacrifice it's potential by choosing a less than optimum mounting location.

If you drill a hole in your roof, your coax is already inside your truck, just run it down the "B" pillar to the floor ........ you don't even have to remove the headliner, just fish it through the hole for the dome light. You have the best possible ground and ground plane location for best performance and true omni-directional TX/RX. And you simply unscrew the coil to remove it ............ no coax to mess with etc. The Wilson roof mounts come with a plastic cover to screw back into the base when you unscrew the coil.

When you sell the truck, remove the antenna and put a solid rubber grommet in the hole .............. most people will never even notice it.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bootsdodgejn
im runnin 2 5 foot firestick on my took box, only one is hooked up other one is for looks. have no prob with signal
If you have local base stations to listen to, you would hear the difference with a better mounting location.

When I went from a magnet mount to a roof mount, I picked up a couple "S" units just because of the better grounding.

Some guys run their trucks stock, and some guys like optimum performance ......... it's no different with radio.

Quick Reply: Quick cb antenna question