3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Quick cb antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilson 1000 magnet mount here. Works for me.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 PM

does anyone have any pictures of the pocket mounts???
Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 PM

I'll try and get one. I have a 4' Firestik Firefly in my retrax cover, near the front corner of the bed. Actually two of them, but I only have the drivers antenna wired and hooked up right now. I can't find a matching antenna for the dummy yet. My SWR's are 1.2:1 accross the 40 channel spectrum. This is with a Cobra 29 NWSTWX, or whatever order the cadence is. I'll see if I can put one up now, if you don't mind a phone pic.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM

That will work, just trying to get an idea of what it looks like. Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM

Here they are:

Old 11-29-2007, 12:51 PM

can you get a close up of the mount? Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Sure, It's one that I made. I spent about $10 or $12 on it. The frame of the secret compartment is actually heavy gauge steel, so I found that a simple 2X4 bracket would span the latch mechanism perfectly. You can feel what I'm talking about through the fabric cover if you poke around down there. So I got two of them, one to mount to the sheet metal (with self tappers, ran in like butter and snugged up tight), and the other to provide the offset and the clearance. I then used two regular old steel brackets ( I put a slight bend in them ) to mount to the 2x4 bracket. Those brackets got drilled to put small bolts with washers and a nylon lock nut through. I popped off the cb's cover, matched the holes I made in the brackets ( have to make sure you clear all the cb internals, which isn't hard ), and mated them. Then I hooked the cb up to the wires, and bolted the upright brackets to the main support. It's stout - the cb doesn't move.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Take and old pair of panty hose and cut a piece to put under your magent mount and it won't scratch anything, or just mount a whip on the side of your toolbox like I have.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 AM

Any antenna mounted in the center of the roof will give you the best performance. The best way to go is with a roof mount, and not a magent mount. The magnet will destroy the paint no matter what you put under it. The magnet and the RF engery will lift the paint and try to pull the metal flake. If you do run a magnet mount, move it every so often .......... which may may/not mess up the tune of the antenna.

I prefer the Wilson antennas and I run the W1000 in the center of the roof with a flat 1:1 match. I ran the coax down the driver side "B" pillar and out under my seat.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 AM

This may help you decide on a mounting location.

Also keep in mind that the second best location is the rear bumper, but mounted on the drivers side rear bumper makes you talk off the passenger side front bumper.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JHardwick
This may help you decide on a mounting location.

Also keep in mind that the second best location is the rear bumper, but mounted on the drivers side rear bumper makes you talk off the passenger side front bumper.

Not according to the link you posted.

WORST LOCATIONS
There are two locations that need to be mentioned. First - do NOT mount the antenna IN the pickup bed, on the floor. You not only have the cab blocking your signal, but all four sides also. You will have almost no range, and a heck of a problem getting the swr low enough to use. The last location to discuss is not even shown on the drawing. That is on the rear bumper of the pickup. The only antenna that should be mounted there is the 102/108" stainless steel whip - period.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Wilson doesn't make a 102, but the rear bumper is the second best location ...... move to the rear stake pocket to use a Wilson antenna.

The 102 is a 1/4 wave antenna and will out perform any of the Wilson antennas, which I think are about the best commercially made antennas.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:05 PM

I used a piece of 4" X 3" of angle iron and put it under the edge of my tool box. Drilled the whole to match up to the bolt holes in my tool box mounting. That way it did not interfere with my gooseneck trailers. Works great and does not put any more hole in my truck.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Lets face it, you can mount an antenna anywhere, it just depends on how fanatical you are about performance ......... are you satisfied with a 1 mile range, or would you like a 10 mile range.

A good radio can't overcome a bad antenna or installation location, but a good antenna and installation will make a mediocre radio walk the dog!

The fiberglass or paper type antennas are the worst.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by JHardwick
The fiberglass or paper type antennas are the worst.
What about firestiks? I thought those were pretty decent? I'm not looking for the best out there but I really dont want to mount an antenna on my roof, I was thinking about 2 of them in the stake pockets right behind the cab I know its not the best or second best locations but I dont want them to be in the way with my trailer and not really sure if i want to mount them up front by the fenders.

Quick Reply: Quick cb antenna question