3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Quick cb antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick cb antenna question

I am getting ready to mount a cobra 29 in my truck. I was wondering what you guys recommend for an antenna. I will mostly use it for listening not talking. I can't decide between a lil wil mag mount, and a fender mount. If i use a fender mount what antenna should i use with it? Which one will perform better?
Thanks, Ross
Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
D45

I have used Firestik in the past, with great results!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 AM

Wilson Mag mount.

(I run the Little wil) But the big one is better, however hits all sorts of stuff.

I LOVE the Wilson Mag mounts. Used them for years .. Dumped my firestick for one and have never regretted it.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:47 AM
WL.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the Firestik. I used their stake pocket mount, since I never use them anyway, so you can always look at that option. They are made of SST and fit great. I laid a thin strip of rubber between the mount and the paint as to not mar it. Finished results in my pics.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but, is there anyone that makes a fender mount that fits the third gen trucks?
If so, who and how much?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 PM

check this place out. i've had good luck with them in the past. http://www.premiere-electronics.net
Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 PM

http://www.wearecb.com/store/product...oducts_id=2985
Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 AM

Exclamation Cheasy CB & Antenna Warning

Just an FYI for everyone.
First... the equipment ... Cheasy RadioShack CB & magnetic mount antenna and 1998 Dodge Dakota, factory dark red paint

Second... the consequence... Aparently the radio, antenna, and or the coax cable set up some sort of field with the roof of the truck (antenna location) and resulted in the paint looking like some one had cooked it with a torch in a perfect circle underneath the magnet.

Third... time... The antenna was there for a month possibly two at most.

Oh and also no amps or anything of that nature.

Anyone have any similar experiences?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 AM

I'm running the K-40 Super Trucker.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Magnetic antenna use what is called capacitive coupling for them to have a ground plane. Add water, dirt, etc to get underneath the base and you a bad combination especially with RF energy.

The last mag mount that I used was on my old Ford, had a rust ring and discoloration.

Solution. Use good cable, and a good solid mount antenna, not a mag mount. You have to drill the hole but it is worth it. The net result is now there is a true ground plane for the antenna since the cable shield is connected to truck's sheet metal. Makes for more efficient antenna. (always a good thing)
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by WL.
I second the Firestik. I used their stake pocket mount, since I never use them anyway, so you can always look at that option. They are made of SST and fit great. I laid a thin strip of rubber between the mount and the paint as to not mar it. Finished results in my pics.
How well does the stake pocket mounts work? I have heard the best location would be the center of the roof but I dont want to drill a hole in my roof nor do I want to use a big magnet on there either and was thinking about using the stake pocket mounts or mounting them on the corners of the bed with flat brackets.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Belgrath04
Just an FYI for everyone.
First... the equipment ... Cheasy RadioShack CB & magnetic mount antenna and 1998 Dodge Dakota, factory dark red paint

Second... the consequence... Aparently the radio, antenna, and or the coax cable set up some sort of field with the roof of the truck (antenna location) and resulted in the paint looking like some one had cooked it with a torch in a perfect circle underneath the magnet.

Third... time... The antenna was there for a month possibly two at most.

Oh and also no amps or anything of that nature.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Have you tried putting a piece of window tint under the mag mount to keep it off the paint???

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
I'm running the K-40 Super Trucker.

Yeah Baby thats what Im talking about. K-40 is the BOMB.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 PM

I have a 108" whip mounted on my toolbox, but I also have a kicker.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 PM
WL.

Originally Posted by Vinceg99
How well does the stake pocket mounts work? I have heard the best location would be the center of the roof but I dont want to drill a hole in my roof nor do I want to use a big magnet on there either and was thinking about using the stake pocket mounts or mounting them on the corners of the bed with flat brackets.
Haven't had any problems. Mine stick above the cab about 6" in the front pockets.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 AM

I used a Firestick and a stake pocket mount on the dually I just traded. Only downside was it banged into drive-thru overhangs and ceilings of covered parking at Universal Studios in Orlando

Quick Reply: Quick cb antenna question