3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Questionable Dealer actions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Questionable Dealer actions??

I had my truck in the dealership ( won't mention which one at this point, as it is not to an endpoint) for troubleshooting and repair of a light problem mentioned in an earlier thread. I tell the dealer I must have the truck back that afternoon fixed or not as it is the only transport at the time. Dealer calls me about 3 PM to tell me the Forward Control Module and Power Dist. block need to be replaced ( shorted) to the tune of about $600 for parts plus labor. Then tells me the tech was pulling and replacing relays, and the truck started and drove itself into the shop wall. Headlight, grill, fender maybe, bumper panel damaged. So we agree that they will fix everyting ( including the light issue) and call it good.
My wife brings the truck home today, I'm looking it over, and find 2 rather large gashes indented into the A/C condenser. Not leaking, or punched through, but right into the core, and pushed back in those spots. Does anyone think I am in the wrong to expect them to replace the condenser even though it is not leaking, but obviously damaged?
thanks,
-JR
Old 03-29-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Without seeing it it's hard to say, is the fins damaged or has the actual coils been damaged?

I would talk to the service guy there and have him make a note of it. If there is a problem down the road it is their problem.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:37 AM

I would say they need to fix it. Get everything they messed up fixed now or you may be looking at trouble later. I would take it back to them.

It seems they have been accomadating and made it good. No reason to think they wont continue to treat you right.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:43 AM

The fins and the coils have been pushed back towards the intercooler side about 1/4-3/8". You can see where something pushed into the coils, but did not puncture any. I have a call into the service advisor, just wanted to make sure I was not expecting anything unrealistic. My initial thought was that they did not fix this because it will be more expensive and labor intensive than the other things they did.
thanks,
-JR
Old 03-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If it didn't look like that BEFORE it "Hit The Wall On It's Own" I'd let them replace it on their dime.
If they damaged it, it shouldn't matter if it's labor intensive or not.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was my truck, they would have one chance to make it right, condenser and all! Plus you deserve a free detailing or something like that for your inconvenience. The slightest grief and I would start calling 800 numbers! Did they really tell you that it started by itself and drove itself into the wall? That's precious!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 AM

They swear that's what happened. I just got off the phone with the service guy, they knew about the condenser, but weren't going to fix it unless I mentioned it. That's great service right there. I guess it's a good thing I'm kinda **** about the truck, and I knew what it looked like before I took it in. So it's going to be taken care of Friday, if they can keep it corralled!
thanks all,
-JR
Old 03-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Your truck should be returned in the same shape it was brought in - leak or not. Accidents happen, but there is no excuse not to make it right. Not saying anything to you about the damage - a wait and see if he notices - would have put me over the edge.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had similar happen to my truck...service mgr said he would replace the AC condensor at MY convenience, then back pedals and says it was not done by them...if ya say yes and change your mind...thats not right.
So he had a tantrum. Lost my business.
I also learned that another dealer put a complete engine replacement under my VIN with different mileage for another truck...Rod from Wildcats's truck.
Nobody will resolve it yet they tell me its been taken off of my service and warranty history...not from what I have here. It really gets to be a pain in the butt to deal with liars and cheats. Nipawin Chrysler knew what they did and Crestview Chrysler lied to me stating it was resolved. I do not trust dealers now. and I wonder what that does to the value of the truck? You'd think DC would catch the mileage discrepency.

Sorry its just to the point of rediculous for me.

Scotty
Old 03-29-2006, 01:52 PM

I agree with you, I think they all just do as little as they can get by with. I definitely wanted it fixed, and it will be, but I thought I would get a reality check before becoming the I usually am with stuff like this.
-JR
Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 PM

If it was damaged in their posession I would make them pay for every ounce of damage.
If they will not go pick it up and get a lawyer.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:57 PM

Ya know I got to wonder how many who commented "hell yeah they gotta fix that" have any A/C knowledge at all. A couple minor dents in the fins is nothing. Sometimes you open a larger can of worms opening a properly working a/c system. Not enough oil gets put in, dirt enters the system, possibly defective condensor, etc. Sometimes common sense has to take over and say "is it really that big a deal?" What happens if the a/c cacks out 12 months later due to dirt in the compressor because the system was opened?? Are you going to put 2 and 2 together to figure that out? Have them note it on the workorder and drive on.....
Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rammtuff
Ya know I got to wonder how many who commented "hell yeah they gotta fix that" have any A/C knowledge at all. A couple minor dents in the fins is nothing. Sometimes you open a larger can of worms opening a properly working a/c system. Not enough oil gets put in, dirt enters the system, possibly defective condensor, etc. Sometimes common sense has to take over and say "is it really that big a deal?" What happens if the a/c cacks out 12 months later due to dirt in the compressor because the system was opened?? Are you going to put 2 and 2 together to figure that out? Have them note it on the workorder and drive on.....
My sentiments exactly....note it and move on!
Mike
Old 03-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
In my case the dents were 6" diameter by 2 and they tried to comb them...the fins were too flat and it took the paint off the fins, bent them worse and now it looked like a two tone 4 dimensional condensor...LOL
I agree, if its a few small creases or dents...no worries because those can most likely be combed out or accepted.

Scotty
Old 04-04-2006, 01:08 PM

Thanks for everybody's opinion. At first I thought I would just leave it, but these were not just bent fins, it had crushed the core tubes and pushed 2 large dents into the condenser. 2 of the the core tubes had heavy scrapes into them, that I think at some point could become a weak point that would leak. and I guess to top it off, it really ****** me off that they knew it was damaged, but didn't bother to say anything about it until I called them on it. So end of story, it's replaced, everything works correctly, and I probably won't be going back there.
thanks everyone,
-JR

Quick Reply: Questionable Dealer actions??