3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Quad Cab ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad Cab ?

Hey everyone!
I am new to Dodge trucks and want to purchase a 05/06 2500 QC CTD. My main concern in the back seating area. I have a 3 person family (for now) and want to know how everyone likes the back seating area. My son is 5 months old now, by the time I buy the truck, he will be around 10 months old. For now, he along with all his stuff would be in the back. For all you that have kids, is the back seat area big enough.
Thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 PM

Thumbs up

I dont have kids, but this may give you an idea. Im 6'3" and I can sit comfortably in the drivers seat (in my normal driving position) and then move to the back seat and have a couple inches of room for my knees. I cant do this in the Ford Crew Cab. That was a big deal to me.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:03 PM

We opted for the Megacab for that same reason (kids). With our 3 year old and 1 year old in car seats, it was tough fitting a person between the two car seats in the back of our Durango. When we shopped for a full size truck, the Megacab was perfect for us. You can climb into the back seat to the middle position with both boys already strapped in their car seats. I wouldn't try that with a Quad cab, let alone the Chevy or Ford Crew cabs.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back seat in my new truck is ridiculous, much better than my 2001 QC. If you can't sit comfortably back there, something is really wrong. Kids? Shoot, there is plenty of room for kids back there. I sat there for a short ride (6'0 205) I was quite comfortable. Not sure what they did, it does seem like I'm sitting closer to the dash that I was in my old one......?
Old 07-19-2006, 02:12 PM

I have a 2500 quad cab. I have a 3 year old and her car seat is in the middle of the back seat. There is enough room for two average size adults to sit back there still. A mega cab has as much room as a bench seat in a minivan so if you want over abundance of space, then go mega cab.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Works great for my family. Have a 9 year old boy, no complaints. On long trips the wife gets in back to watch movies with him. The mega cab is great just too tight for the garage (7" to play with).
Old 07-19-2006, 02:42 PM

Thanks everyone.
When I look at the Dodge QC it just looks smaller than the Chevy and Ford QC's. Just wanted to know if it was really smaller or just an illusion because of the rear doors looking so small.
I have a 1500 Chevy Extended cab, and it is alittle to small for my taste, but I bought it before the kid, so it was fine then.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got a 10, 8 and 6 year old who ride comfortably back there on some long, long trips. They are all big for their age too. No complaints, ever.

I did take 3 super-sized adults on a four-hour trip (each way) once. They hated it, but with fuel prices the way they are I think they're still glad they didn't drive an extra vehicle.

Based on that experience, I guess that means when the kids get a little older it'll be "Honey, we need a MegaCab" time.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:46 PM

Not for sure, but don't the others have 4 full-size doors standard?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by carcrz
Not for sure, but don't the others have 4 full-size doors standard?
I think they do, thats why the dodge looks so small to me.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:06 PM

You need to look at the market offerings.

Regular Cab: Dodge, Ford, GM.
Extended Cab: Ford, GM (Quad Cab: Dodge)
Crew Cab: Ford, GM (Mega-Cab Dodge)

The Quad Cab is not a Crew Cab Truck. It is a Extended Cab offering with regular opening doors. Sitting in each of these I feel the Quad Cab is a better offering than the Extended Cab's from Ford and GM. So I bought one. That and the fact the Mega-Cab won't fit in my garage.

Hub
Old 07-19-2006, 04:13 PM

I'm 6' 3" and with the drivers seat almost all the way back, I climbed into the back of a QC and there is no way I could ride back there for very long. While it is roomier than my 01.5 QC was, it's nowhere near as comfy as even a 4 door Chevy or Ferd.
Mega cab is way roomier and the back seats recline.
Put the front seats all the way back then try sitting in the back seats of both.
Pick the one you like best.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have three kids. 6, 2 and 6 months. The QC is fine except for the occasional kicking of the front seats

Otherwise the Dodge is W I D E. Which is important for the child seats and boosters.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ramstang
I have a 2500 quad cab. I have a 3 year old and her car seat is in the middle of the back seat.
What kind of car seat do you have? The reason I ask is neither of our two different car seats (Eddy Bauer & Britex Marathon) will sit properly in the middle section of my 05 quadcab. Both will rock since the middle section isn't as deep as the R & L sections, so the little guy in my avatar sits behind me.

BGibbs, that's my only complaint. None of the adults I've had back there have complained. I considered buying a pre-03 CTD QC, but after sitting in the back of an 00 QC, I knew I wanted a 3rd gen.

My bro-in-law bought an 05 Brand C club cab, or whatever they call the ones with suicide doors. His seat's the same depth all the way across so he doesn't have any problems with his daughters seat. Ironically, even though we both have cloth seats, the back of the Dodge's front seats are vinyl (i.e. very easy to clean) not cloth like his. His daughter gets her muddy foot prints all over his cloth-backs. He's not happy with that, or the suicide doors and is thinking of trading it in for another Brand C with four doors and leather. (He won't listen to me, even when I tell him a Duramax will get alot better mileage than his gasser, if he stays with a Brand C)
Old 07-19-2006, 11:27 PM

I noticed that about the center of the bench seat, it is not as wide as the rest of the seat.