3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

PUTCO Handle Covers - Unexpected Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PUTCO Handle Covers - Unexpected Problem

Well, I decided to put a little more bling bling on the rig, so I got a set of the Putco chromed-ABS door handle covers. Of course, I dry fit each cover after doing the surface prep. Everything seemed good to go, so I went ahead and peeled the 3M tape off and did the install. At this point, they looked really sharp, everything lined up properly, and I was one happy camper. Then, a couple of days later, I discovered that my key no longer works to manually unlock the door handle. I almost always use the built-in button on the head of the key, so it took me a few days to make this discovery. As it turns out, the shaft of the factory key is no longer than it absolutely has to be; in other words, there isn't much clearance between the "head" of the key and the semi-rounded surface of the door handle when the key is inserted in the lock. Between the thickness of the Putco cover and the tape used to attach it to the handle, the Putco cover effectively "pushes" the head of the key about 1/8" to 1/4" out from the door lock, which is just enough to keep the shaft of the key from properly engaging in the lock. Thus, the key won't work in the lock. This isn't a major deal for me, because I don't use the manual door lock very often and could always pry my Putco cover off in an emergency. The problem could easily have been avoided, however, if Putco had simply made a slightly larger hole in the cover where it surrounds the keyhole, thus avoiding conflict with the "head" of the key. Absent a manufacturer fix, the buyer can solve the problem by opening up this hole about 1/4" or so before installing. Beware, however, that you need to do this before installing, because once the cover is on it is almost impossible to enlarge the hole cleanly.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:16 AM

Hmmm, I haven't even tried my key since installing these. I'll have to check it out today....
Old 01-01-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would do yourself a favor and have a regular spare key made, and modify it so that it will work. It can only be used to get in the door, but if your batterys ever went dead you would be locked out. May never happen, but I guess I just like to cover all bases.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptm600
I would do yourself a favor and have a regular spare key made, and modify it so that it will work. It can only be used to get in the door, but if your batterys ever went dead you would be locked out. May never happen, but I guess I just like to cover all bases.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm with him... I always have a regular key made and wire it to the frame... I bet I could go find my 05 and get into it... Better to be safe than sorry... Besides I jumped out one time to run into the store to get a cold one.... and bam went to get back in and holy S$$t the door were lock and the truck was still running. We'll after some people gave me some bad looks because I was screaming ****** I crawled under the back unwired the key and was in..

Shane
Old 01-01-2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the "heads-up" Alaskan! (I've been considering those handle covers.)
Old 01-01-2007, 10:29 AM

I know a friend who put these on his Excursion and every time you opened the door with them the handle would stick in the out position and the door wouldn't latch. You had to reach around and slap it shut before the door would latch. He installed them properly, but I don't care how anything LOOKS if it doesn't function 100% correctly all the time... What a PITA !
Old 01-01-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ptm600
I would do yourself a favor and have a regular spare key made
I'm with ptm600 as well.

My truck is an '03, and my key and keyless entry are separate, as opposed to the 2005's and newer being integral. My regular key works great---no clearance issues at all. I'd just have a regular key available on the same ring to be on the safe side.

Greg
Old 01-01-2007, 11:19 AM

I think I'm just going to go with full billet handles. Look good and will hold up really well. Has anyone had any experience with these?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 AM

I was given a set for Christmas, thanks for the heads up. Will bore the hole out before installing the drivers door cover. I had been looking at the billet replacements, was going to put them on when I installed the jimmy jammers.

CD
Old 01-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by maynard3
I'm with ptm600 as well.

My truck is an '03, and my key and keyless entry are separate, as opposed to the 2005's and newer being integral. My regular key works great---no clearance issues at all. I'd just have a regular key available on the same ring to be on the safe side.

Greg
My 05 has a key separate from the remote (same as 03).
Old 01-01-2007, 12:15 PM

I checked mine and darned if it doesn't work. I was already planning on getting a regular flat key made so now I will definitely do it.

Thanks for the heads up.....
Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTed
My 05 has a key separate from the remote (same as 03).
Obviously I'm wrong in the assumption that the 2005 Dodge RAM keys were integral; my wife has a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD and it was integral. I had just guessed they went that way across the board on DC vehicles around that year. I have seen 2006 Dodge RAM keys that are integral.

Sorry for the mis-information.

Greg
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Once again Greg spreads false info!!! If you didn't have a white truck I'd ............

Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 PM

We'll forgive him! (White truck here too! )
Old 01-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Oh, Alright!!

Quick Reply: PUTCO Handle Covers - Unexpected Problem