3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers

Howdy!

Does anyone have a set of Putco chrome door handle covers that they could post some close-up photos of? I have been thinking about getting some, but nobody that sells them has any good photos so that you can get any idea of what they really look like.

Thanks!
Tad
Old 03-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Here you go.
I have a set that I got from http://www.autotrucktoys.com
When you install them double check the fit.
The fronts and rears are not interchangable.
The fronts are slightly larger than the rears.
Dont ask how I know but trust me.
Attached Thumbnails Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers-putco-handles-001.jpg   Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers-putco-handles-002.jpg  
Old 03-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by hapidonnie
Here you go.
I have a set that I got from http://www.autotrucktoys.com
When you install them double check the fit.
The fronts and rears are not interchangable.
The fronts are slightly larger than the rears.
Dont ask how I know but trust me.
Sounds like you got some OJT (on-the-job-training) when you put on your first set! Shucks, that's the only way I ever learn anything
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM

Thats exactly what happened.
Contatced the manufacture and told them what happened. Asked for thejust the rear and they sent me a complete set.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:13 PM

I have them and they look great BBBBUUUUTTTT...... The key hole is too small and on my 07 the key won't go in far enough to turn the lock. I'm fine as long as the fob keeps working but if it doesn't then I'm in trouble. Of course I didn't realize this until after they were installed.....
Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I have them and they look great BBBBUUUUTTTT...... The key hole is too small and on my 07 the key won't go in far enough to turn the lock. I'm fine as long as the fob keeps working but if it doesn't then I'm in trouble. Of course I didn't realize this until after they were installed.....
I've read this before and maybe the 07's are a little different but what I read was just push in a little harder.

I've had a set plus a bunch of other goodies since Christmas waiting for some warmer weather. Mrs. Claus was extra nice this year.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:48 PM

I don't have any close up shots, I love them not to pricey and they make a huge difference.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 PM

I have a set and they look great. One thing though, take your time on the install. Dry fit first so you are sure that you are getting the right cover on the correct handle, usually only one key hole so make sure that does not go on the passenger side. Also, I used laquer thinner and took a great deal of time cleaning the handles. Then I warmed them up with a heat gun and then applied the handle cover. This is what worked for me.
Also, the key will work on the drivers door, just insert the key and push a little. It is not a great fit, but it will open the door. (Been there done that)
Old 03-21-2007, 04:14 AM

I tried pushing the key in but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if they changed key designs in 06 or 07 but my key is really big and has the fob built into it. If I had known this about the handles I would have somehow opened up the hole a bit before installing the covers....
Old 03-21-2007, 01:23 PM

How are they held on? Double sided tape perhaps........................
Old 03-21-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have them on my 06, fronts are differant from the backs, and the one has the key hole make sure you line that one up perfect, 3m tape, once that stuff sticks its stuck, make sure you use the cleaner before installing, Im happy with mine. got the one for the tail gate handle also.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I tried pushing the key in but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if they changed key designs in 06 or 07 but my key is really big and has the fob built into it. If I had known this about the handles I would have somehow opened up the hole a bit before installing the covers....

Can you just have a regular key made or does it have a chip?? My 05 does NOT have a chip in the key itself...even if it does you can still have a spare made at wally world and it will work in the door,just not the ignition
Old 03-21-2007, 02:13 PM

Sure I can have a regular key made just for the door, and I plan on doing that regardless of this issue, but Putco should redesign these at least for the newer trucks with the big keys....
Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 AM

As I stated earlier, I mistakenly put the wrong handles on the wrong doors and contacted the distributor for a replacement.
The person I talked to said that they have had several people that have done the same thing I did and have requested the manufacturer to mark the handles with which one goes where.
So far, I guess, they havent done it.
My advise is take your time and you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:19 PM

Here's a few pics. My key turns fine. Don't forget the tailgate handle.

Quick Reply: Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers