3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Purchased my first truck specific accessory.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchased my first truck specific accessory.

Ok I know this is kind of weak, but I purchased $.99 an iPhone app to find the best prices on fuel (with diesel being specified and the default fuel type, SWEET!). What's nice is the built in log book. Every fill up I enter new data to give me tons of useless information!

The truck has a stock intake but the previous owner put a K&N filter in the stock box. I've owned several K&N's and have enjoyed all of them. While I agree there is some debate about their usefulness in the stock plumbing I still prefer them. The only thing I want to do is clean it with my filter recharge kit.

So that leaves the next upgrade. I'm waffling back and forth between gauges and programmer or programmer with a built in LCD gauge option. If I add a programmer I want to add gauges. Just not sure which way to go.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Cheers
Capt. Jan
Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt. Jan
Ok I know this is kind of weak, but I purchased $.99 an iPhone app to find the best prices on fuel (with diesel being specified and the default fuel type, SWEET!). What's nice is the built in log book. Every fill up I enter new data to give me tons of useless information!

The truck has a stock intake but the previous owner put a K&N filter in the stock box. I've owned several K&N's and have enjoyed all of them. While I agree there is some debate about their usefulness in the stock plumbing I still prefer them. The only thing I want to do is clean it with my filter recharge kit.

So that leaves the next upgrade. I'm waffling back and forth between gauges and programmer or programmer with a built in LCD gauge option. If I add a programmer I want to add gauges. Just not sure which way to go.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Cheers
Capt. Jan

Depends on what you really want to do. As far as programmers, the Smarty Jr is a very nice addition. That and some gauges and you're fine.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 PM

what do I want? Great question. I drive about 50 miles round trip everyday. So game #1 MPG. Second would be sound/drive-ability. Wild turbo whine or exhaust drone is unacceptable. Weekend towing of typically 3K lbs or less. Yea the diesel is over kill but I was tired of NOT feeling comfortable towing with the old Dakota v6.

I found the tip on fixing up the factory seats. That needs to be done.

My basic question is programmer/gauges vs. programmer with built in gauges. Curious of user experiences. I'm looking specifically at the Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Tuner.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:35 PM

I think our tuners are great for guys such as yourself that are looking for mileage gains. and a little extra power when towing. feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Gauges were my first mod, although, I don't think of gauges as a mod, they really are a necessity. I considered the 'all in one' gauges/programmer, I decided to do my gauges seperately from my programmer. I like having a gauge go directly to what I want infromation from.

I had a Quad Std for a while, too much timing rattle and my EGT's were higher than i wanted to have them.

I decided to go with a Smarty Jr. It has been an excellent addition, lower EGTs, better fuel mileage, engine is running smoother and is quieter.

You have to do it the way you see it or feel it - make it yours.

CD
Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
clean that k&n filter and hold it up to the sun. it will be very obvious that it barely filters out gravel. that is why cummins has had warnings out for the last 15 years not to use them. the k&n filter is good for the economy it keeps a lot of mechanics emploied and sells a lot of parts and engines. look and see how much damage on the turbo fins. if it is not to bad just replace the k&n with the new high efficiency mopar filter. if it is like i think it will be you will soon be changing the turbo and this will also help determine how much dusting the k&n did to the engine. other than that the k&n is just fine. as for the programer i like the smarty jr the best.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM

As I stated previously...
I've owned several K&N's and have enjoyed all of them. While I agree there is some debate about their usefulness in the stock plumbing I still prefer them.
I've been running K&N brand in every vehicle I've owned for the last 20 years. I have been pleased with the performance to date. However I will consed that you have a valid point. This has been one of my biggest concerns with aftermarket CAI products. Granted the factory plumbing is restrictive wouldn't the same argument apply to aftermarket CAI's?

Cheers
Capt. Jan
Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 PM

we have optional filter socks that fit our CAI filters

when i first got mine i was not sure how much it would help. but then after running it for a few months its amazing all the stuff thats stuck to the easily removable sock and not forced into the pleats of the filter.