3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Purchase of Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Purchase of Extended Warranty

1. A std mfg warranty is a statement from the manufacturer expressing confidence in the delivered vehicle and their ability to fix things that might not be quite right when the truck came off the assembly line.<br><br>2. An extended warranty is an insurance policy designed for profit.<br><br>3. It is always cheeper in the long run to self insure, because the cost structure is in your favor. <br><br>4. insurance policies are not necessarily bad (collision coverage, for example) even though they are designed to make profit.<br><br>real people buy insurance policies all the time if they have &quot;an insurable interest&quot;. Its all about managing risk and your own comfort level, but the bottom line is that the extended warranty is there to make money, not to protect you. But the same can be said about automobile collision coverage -- they are playing the statistics which are in their favor. that is, on the average, they will make money and not have to pay out in repairs more than they take in. <br><br>I buy collision coverage because I have an insurable interest in a $40K truck, and because I can't afford to buy it again if I total it and it's my fault. its a chance I'm not willing to take because, while the risk is low, the consequence is very bad. So I end up paying more in the long run for collision related repairs because I don't want to take the risk of incurring a very high dollar repair for which I'm not prepared, cash flow wise. <br><br>I don't buy extended warranties because I predict that I can afford the repairs when they come, I want to take the chance that the expense will be less than the cost of the insurance. Its a chance I'm willing to take because the risk is small that I will pay more in repairs than the cost of the insurance.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Max

IMO, the best extended warranty is the one offered from the manufacturer. The one that DC sends in mail about 4 months later after you buy the truck seems like a good deal. You have to watch out for some of the companies out there. Some like Warranty Gold can file for bankrupcy and you'll have to deal with the hassle getting them to pay for the bills when the time comes! :'( :'(
Old 08-06-2003, 09:00 AM

Ok great responces from all of you. I checked with my dealer and was able to purchase the 7/85k Maximum Care cheaper than what DC had offered thru the mail. For the first time in my life I did purchase the Extended Warranty. 7/85k Max Care. Granted I may lose but with a lot of travel and getting in a bind with a dealer that I don't know while on the road, one breakdown will go a long way in paying for it.

Thanks for all yur help and opinions. If you buy check with your dealer for his price prior to purchasing from DC. Same policy.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:12 AM

good thinking. insurance policies are not all bad, even those for mechanical breakdown. You have an insurable interest, you want to mitigate your risk, and you're willing to pay a reasonable price for it. that's no different than buying collision coverage.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:13 AM

I bought the 7/100 bumper to bumper on my 02 CTD for around $1300 I think. The beauty of it is, if I don't use the warranty in the 7 years time I can call the dealer and they will refund the money in full! (if they are still in business, they have been around for a long long time though, so that doesn't worry me)
Old 08-11-2003, 11:02 AM

i just traded in my 96 3500 cummins 4x4 on a 03 Ho..last truck had 5yr 100000 mile bumper to bumper which more than paid for itself..plus the bonus of having free replacement vehicle while truck is in the shop..my last warranty ran out the yrs before mileage and my transfer case blew and cost me 2500bucks and no free vehicle..so this time i got the 7 yr 100000 mile bumper to bumper coverage..roadside plus free vehicle plus accomadation..no deductable...i keep my trucks on avg 7 to 8 yrs..doesn't take many trips to the dealer in that time to pay for the warranty..not to mention the peace of mind