3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

ProStop Brake Pads any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ProStop Brake Pads any Good?

I just picked up a front set of ProStop professional pads from PepBoys foir my 3500. I was wondering if any one had any comments about them good or bad.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use factory.You'll be happier.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh yeah, thanks. But that does not really help or answer the question
Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM

You asked for comments, and Hounddogs was to use the factory pad. Did you have a specific question?

The general consensus is the factory pads and rotors are the best option for these trucks.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:23 PM

120 k on my factory pads towing 7 to 15 k every day, it is about time for a new set
Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 AM

My factory fronts squeal like a pig, and have since the day I bought the truck. I've been looking at some of the performance sets, but am still undecided.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Use factory.You'll be happier.
You know, I've found that to be true on every vehicle I've owned. Every time I've gone away from factory pads or rotors, I've been left less than happy.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM

I use AutoZone for brake pads. Lifetime warranty. Even if you use the "cheaper" option and find that they don't last, you can upgrade to the next level for just the difference in price.

I have no opinion on Pep Boys brakes.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM

I've sold and used after market rotors with no ill affects over the years.Its the pads that make a difference.I many makes of vehicles I cannot imagine how many sets of new to somewhat new after market brake pads the shops I worked in and ran have given back to customers or thrown in the trash over noise,grinding,squealing rapid rotor wear etc. A little story in the Nissan store I worked in 15 years.I day several guys came in,went to the parts counter.All wearing racing shirts,hats etc.All were from out of town.They were running at ROAD ATLANTA and all had Turbo 300s and 240s.They bought EVERY brake pad front and rear we had in stock for those model cars.I introduced myself and learned they were all in town running in stock and stock modified classes.They forgot their brake pads.I siad I figured they ran after market pads of some sort.They said NOPE! Tried many sets of after market pads and got one race out of them.Didn't matter if 50 laps or 150. Said they also got one race out of rotors which got costly.Went back to FACTORY pads and still got one race out of them also.BUT rotors lasted 3 times longer.Said they found that braking performance was no different then after market(on the track) but rotor life was not compromised.Said four rotors a race was just plain waste and expensive.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:11 PM

I put autozone lifetime warranty pads on the front of my truck, and I am happy with them. I may put a set on the rear as well.
Scott
Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM

DOT requires every pad to be stamped with friction/temperature codes. The DOT pad codes will give you some indication of how well they maintain friction as they heat up. IOW, do they fade when hot?

Otherwise, there is no standard for noise, dusting, pedal feel, rotor wear, and pad life, and all vary with manufacturer's compounds. Tirerack lists relative rankings and has customer reviews for their pads. You may be able to google Pep Boys pads and find reviews to get an idea of what those pads are like, similar to asking on this forum for experienced reviews.

On various vehicles, I've used pads from Autozone, Pep Boys, Napa, Hawk, Axxis, Cobalt, Carbotech, etc. First thing I look for is an FF or better DOT pad rating, so I know they bite well and be somewhat resistant to fade. Then I look for a ceramic compound which, in my experience, generally results in good pedal feel, low noise, low rotor wear. Dusting and pad life are determined by usage.

The good news is, pads are cheap and easy to replace. If you don't like one set, swap them for another.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
I've sold and used after market rotors with no ill affects over the years.Its the pads that make a difference.I many makes of vehicles I cannot imagine how many sets of new to somewhat new after market brake pads the shops I worked in and ran have given back to customers or thrown in the trash over noise,grinding,squealing rapid rotor wear etc. A little story in the Nissan store I worked in 15 years.I day several guys came in,went to the parts counter.All wearing racing shirts,hats etc.All were from out of town.They were running at ROAD ATLANTA and all had Turbo 300s and 240s.They bought EVERY brake pad front and rear we had in stock for those model cars.I introduced myself and learned they were all in town running in stock and stock modified classes.They forgot their brake pads.I siad I figured they ran after market pads of some sort.They said NOPE! Tried many sets of after market pads and got one race out of them.Didn't matter if 50 laps or 150. Said they also got one race out of rotors which got costly.Went back to FACTORY pads and still got one race out of them also.BUT rotors lasted 3 times longer.Said they found that braking performance was no different then after market(on the track) but rotor life was not compromised.Said four rotors a race was just plain waste and expensive.

Yep, that's my experience. The worst was ceramic pads on factory rotors. They warped the heck out of the rotors in no time.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:07 PM

i went with a set of cheap rotors and wagner thermoquiets for pads.

on old rotors with just a pad slap i had no brake squeel whatsoever. i finall changed out the pads and rotors after running the pads without any caliper maitnence or even looking them for 3 years and around 50 000 km. still had about 3/4 of the friction material left on them. even after having a caliiper blow up and dump brake fluid all over them.

generally go with good pads and cheap rotors.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 AM

I've warped lots of rotors on various vehicles. Everything from $15 chinese/ebay to $400 floating hat cryo treated. After all that, there are only two rotor brands I buy, Brembo and Bradi. Usually blanks, but slotted is ok. Never drilled.

Use quality rotors and quality pads. Your 12,000 lb trailer will be much happier.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 AM

so where are you guys buying your oem replacements??

Quick Reply: ProStop Brake Pads any Good?