3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well in one way it is good that it is happening on a regular basis.. that makes it easier for the dealer to find it...

Although I think the module only looks at the chip in the key when the truck is started and once it sees it it doesn't keep looking for it.. but if it is looking for the key all the time.. Are you giving the dealer the same key that you were using when the truck dies??
Old 04-16-2007, 06:12 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ask them to hook up a recorder box to it and let you run it for a week.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:13 PM

A recorder box? Im assuming it records as you are driving and monitors you????
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simadownow6988
A recorder box? Im assuming it records as you are driving and monitors you????
It records data, just like you assume. It should record a LOT of data. Some even have a pushbutton so that when the truck dies, you can capture data leading up to the event, as well as the event itself.

Unfortunately, you have to drive the vehicle, until it dies again.

HTH

Tony
Old 04-16-2007, 07:52 PM

That sux. I guess Ill do what I have to do to get them to understand that this problem is nothing to play around about. I will mention that to them.
Exactly what does the recorder record? All the engine data? Or is it like a movie camera on a police car? It sounds kinda cool. Does it ride in the passenger seat?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
It records data, just like you assume. It should record a LOT of data. Some even have a pushbutton so that when the truck dies, you can capture data leading up to the event, as well as the event itself.

Unfortunately, you have to drive the vehicle, until it dies again.

HTH

Tony
Could you give us an example of a company that sells recorder boxes?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:43 PM

Im just curious on exactly how they work, but it would be cool to own one.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Crashking
if the sentry set-up is like some set-ups i've seen it uses a magnet to induce voltage into the key so that it can identify if the key is for that truck or not. and on top of that it's typically only needed for start-up... so if you really wanted you could use a spare key that would only open the doors to actually run the truck if you have a sentry key close enough to the igition switch upon start up...
I knew that my idea was too easy. When it was stated that it didn't require power, I figured it must be magnetic somehow. I'm not sure if it just needs to see it on startup, but you would think the dealer would know that. As suggested before, are you giving the dealer the same key? Have you tried both of your keys?

I am routing for you now. This is one of those problems that we all want to see solved so we can say "Why didn't I think of that???".
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 PM

if the sentry set-up is like some set-ups i've seen it uses a magnet to induce voltage into the key so that it can identify if the key is for that truck or not. and on top of that it's typically only needed for start-up... so if you really wanted you could use a spare key that would only open the doors to actually run the truck if you have a sentry key close enough to the igition switch upon start up...

I tried this in mine - it does not work. Even with the sentry key as close to the ignition as possible - engine still runs for a second or so and shuts down when using a cut key to try to start.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

torquefan, brake lights are supposed to be wired in such a way that they will work without a key, the same goes for hazard lights... the trucker should of seen his brakes.

sucks to hear the problem came back... but then again it's good to hear that it's a lot worse now so hopefully the dodge techs will have a bigger beacon towards the problem... i hope i don't have these problems when i do finally get a ctd mc
I was pointing out that he was slowing down due to stalling, and probably NOT with his foot on the brake.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Cool it guys. Arguing about truckers is not helping simadownow6988's problem with his truck.

ha yea i agree, who cares about the semi... if you are worried then dont drive in front of them. good luck finding your problem
Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by revoaggie
ha yea i agree, who cares about the semi... if you are worried then dont drive in front of them. good luck finding your problem
Kind of tough to do. Most people don't get out on the interstate & back up until a semi is on their EDIT
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 AM

I did mention the key thing to the dealer. He said that the engine will die shortly after startup, no after traveling a ways, but he would check it out.

I thank you guys for routing for me on this. I will keep you informed on every detail. Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wreedCTD
Could you give us an example of a company that sells recorder boxes?
I was specifically talking about the OEM placing a box in your vehicle to capture data. I have heard of Ford doing this on early 6.0's and would ecpect all the OEMs to be able to do this.

If you want to do this on your own, you need hardware to plug into the ODBII port, and analysis software. I don't have any history with any of these companies, but here's the general idea:

http://laplogger.com/buy_it.shtml

I have seen this one on TV....
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...asp?pnum=08221
There is also a version of the CarChip (davis.net) to monitor driving, for those with teenagers!

HTH

Tony
Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Still havent heard anything on the truck, and I hate driving my loaner Suburban....

Quick Reply: Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!