3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no, when my l/p was causing me problems and it would die at stoplights, no cel.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM

When it died, I didnt notice a check engine light, but I wasnt paying much attention to the instruments when trying to get it out of the road.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 AM

ok guys..here is an update on my truck.
I went today to check on my truck and talked to the same guy I talked to when I brought it in (very nice guy..not too many left). He said he has done many tests on the truck, and also called DC and they gave him some tests to try, but he has not found anything at all yet. He said that they were fixing to do some fuel delivery tests shortly, and should know something maybe this afternoon. I sure hope they find out whats making the engine die. That will make me feel a whole lot better while driving it.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snoxracer
Man if the trucker was following that close that he had to lock up the brakes, I would say that he was a little to close! Why do most truckers think they own the road?

Snoxracer
Why do most cars cut in front of truck drivers and hit there brakes? Do they not realize that truck might weigh 80,000 lbs. And does not stop on a dime.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 PM

when i had my 01 it did the same thing just after buying it, on the way home. Going down the freeway doing about 70 and it just dies! Glad my roommate worked for the local Cummins dealership, he tested the Transfer pump and it was dead.

BTW my 04 did the same to be too, so hopefully these in tank replacements work better
Old 04-14-2007, 12:07 AM

Why do most truckers think they own the road?
Think about this, The food you eat, breakfast, lunch and dinner, the clothes on your back, the lumber to build the house/apartment/trailer you live in, the truck you drive, and the computer you use to surf forums were ALL delivered by a trucker, so in answer to your question, Yes they do own the road because thats their office, and they are working so you have your stuff. Like someone else said, fully loaded semi's don't stop on a dime, so stay outta their way! If I see a semi that is trying to get into the fast lane to get around slower traffic, I will slow down and hold up traffic so he can get over and get his job done!

So back to the original thread, any update on your truck?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by simadownow6988
I sure hope they find out whats making the engine die. That will make me feel a whole lot better while driving it.
While I can't think of anything that could possibly be a cause of your problem, I did want to pass along a good tip for you. If your engine does die again, leave the transmission in gear and clutch out. This will keep your engine turning and more importantly, keep your power steering pump turning as well, and help get you off the road safely. Remember the PS pump feeds both the steering and the brake systems.

Also this trick usually works on any vehicle with a manual tranny.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:39 PM

Thanks for all the advice and information guys.
I do respect the truckers on the road. My dad was a trucker (among 2 other jobs) when I was a baby to keep food on the table. They do keep 90% of buisnesses in buisness, and I dont blame the trucker that slammed on his brakes behind me for anything. He didnt expect my truck to do what it did.

Anyways-
I got my truck back this morning with a note on my paperwork that said "could not duplicate problem/complaint".

I really have no idea of what to do. I have not been on the interstate (trying to avoid it) today, and I have kept the truck under 50mph, especially when I took my son to his cousins birthday party (40mph). Im really afraid that it might happen again and who knows where it will happen.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it sounds as if you have a wire or wirebundle chaffing. get under the hood and look around, move wires around look for bare spots, it sounds as if the fuel is being turned off, and after you stop the chaffing clears ,and the truck starts up.also look under the dash around your clutch mechanism for possible wire chaffing. no other advice good luck.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Are for real Or just don't thank

Man if the trucker was following that close that he had to lock up the brakes, I would say that he was a little to close! Why do most truckers think they own the road?

Snoxracer
Are you for real I am carrying 40 tons in the trailer, the trailer 2 tons and the truck wheys 25 tons plus 75--70 tons going 70 mph and some body goes from 70 to 40 in 150 Feet. It will take a truck carrying a 40 ton lode @ 70 mph moor than that to slow that fast.And to stop? And you thank HE is PLAYING man be glad he was paying attention.And be blest nothing happened. Glad you are OK now the truck have you got it fixed yet?
Do you have Any kind of program in or Any thing plugged in.I had a program in my 2004.5 2500 truck and win I hit the CB mike with a Little power box in line the truck would Die So I had to Chang programs.I now run Quadzzila box race module and no problems.Good luck hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:44 PM

I agree with Snoxracer. You guys are all assuming he cut the trucker off, and that wasn't mentioned anywhere in this thread. I drive 100-400 miles of Interstate almost daily and I don't know how many times I have seen a semi riding someones tail down a hill to try and gain speed for the next hill. Since a semi takes longer to come to a stop at 70mph, MAYBE the driver of that semi should consider that when determining it's following distance.

I have no problem with drivers that are safe and respectful behind the wheel, regardless of whether they are driving a semi or a motorcycle. My little CTD is also my office. I am out there selling products they deliver, so without guys like me, they would be jobless. I don't see the semi's moving over when I need to get where I'm going, however I do follow them at a safe distance as they slow 15mph on the hills, pass quickly and move back into the right lane after leaving a safe gap for the semi driver. I will yield to ANY driver that wants in the left lane if it is safe and reasonable to do so.

There are always situations where the semi driver is put into a dangerous situation through the actions of others, but I have seen just as many situations where the semi driver created the dangerous situation.

Here is an example: Yesterday I was travelling on I-80 in Nebraska doing 75 mph (posted speed limit). As I go under a bridge I see 2 semis coming onto the interstate on a long on ramp, so I move into the left lane. As they came onto the Intersate, the 2nd semi immediately pulled into the left lane and I got to feel the ABS come on as I dropped 40mph in about 2 seconds. That semi actually cut me off at 35mph!

Now does anybody here feel they can justify what that semi driver did?

My point is simple. It doesn't matter what you are driving, pay attention and be aware of what's going on around you and be safe. You never know when the guy in front of you might have a mechanical problem and need to get off the road quickly...
Old 04-14-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by djbikeman
I agree with Snoxracer. You guys are all assuming he cut the trucker off, and that wasn't mentioned anywhere in this thread. I drive 100-400 miles of Interstate and I don't know how many times I have seen a semi riding someones tail down a hill to try and gain speed for the next hill. Since a semi takes longer to come to a stop at 70mph, MAYBE the driver of that semi should consider that when determining it's following distance.
I sort of agree, but what the trucker is doing is trying to save every drop of fuel he can, and when fuel consumption equates to profit, you do what ever you can to save fuel.

Here is an example: Yesterday I was travelling on I-80 in Nebraska doing 75 mph (posted speed limit). As I go under a bridge I see 2 semis coming onto the interstate on a long on ramp, so I move into the right lane. As they came onto the Intersate, the 2nd semi immediately pulled into the right lane and I got to feel the ABS come on as I dropped 40mph in about 2 seconds. That semi actually cut me off at 35mph!
I started to go off about this, and was saying in my head why would you purposely get in the right lane when they are entering the road, but then I reread this:

however I do follow them at a safe distance as they slow 15mph on the hills, pass quickly and move back into the left lane after leaving a safe gap for the semi driver.
and realized you mixed up your left and right lanes in your post.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:07 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We all know how inportant the truckers are in our lives. Not to be rude, but lets stay on the subject and get his truck fixed! I would definately try another dealer, and fully tell them the story about the issue, and your visit to the service department. Heck, I'd even show them the bill. ( receipt ) Then ask them if they would contact STAR Hotline and ask for a 2nd tier engineer. ( yeah, can't stand engineers, but thats what it takes sometimes!) Make sure they have contacted their district rep. and make sure they are doing EVERYTHING possible, to avoid this happening again. You can try this with the first dealer IF you think it might do some good. Also, the second dealer ( i know I would ) would LOVE the chance to "show up" the first dealer. I like a challenge and not much satisfies me more than finding a problem someone else gave up on! GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Chapter President

Check your steering colum. My 04 didn't die but the blinkers would be the opposit of what they should be and brake lights not working. Found the wireing harness rubbing against stuff. Figured out the problem when it was happening by moving the steering colum and it quit. Yours may be inside the bundle of wires instead of on the outside though.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Cool it guys. Arguing about truckers is not helping simadownow6988's problem with his truck.

Quick Reply: Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!