3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!

I have an 06 CTD. Engine wise, its basically stock.
Yesterday, I was on the interstate to see a buddy of mine at his house, going about 68mph, when the truck all of a sudden lost complete power! It acted as if the key was shut off. I pushed on the clutch and found that there was NOTHING!!!! No engine running, no power steering, nothing! The truck just decided to die. The big problem was the semi truck behind me slamming on his brakes and laying on the horn. Luckily I got off ther interstate before he ran over me. I turned the key to the off position, and proceded to start it up, and it fired right up. No cranking for a long time before it started. It has happened once before at a stop sign, but I thought that maybe I hit the key with my leg or something (thinking, but trying to figure out how I could have), and didnt take it in.
I called my dealer today and told him of the truck dying, and then turned around and called DC and told them what happened.
I am terribly afraid to drive the truck at high speeds now, thinking about what happened and how lucky I was before.
Has anyone had this problem??? What should I do if the dealer says its fine??? Just thinking about my life and my familys when they are with me. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That bites. My wife's Pontiac used to do that when the crank position sensor went bad. Never heard of it happening on the CTD though.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:31 PM

It really frustrates me that the truck has 3122 miles on it and screwing up, and has me afraid of it. This is what I spent 42K for???
Old 04-11-2007, 02:52 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At least give the dealer a chance to look at it. Maybe look at a few things yourself before you drive it again. Check the battery cables, and maybe even wiggle the key while it is running inthe driveway. I have seen large key rings make the ign. switch turn backwards when you hit a bump just right with a lot of keys on the ring. Just a couple of things that come to mind. Don't give up hope yet!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Many years ago, I owned a Suzuki car (yeah, i know....lame..but i was young and it got 32 mpg). It had the exact same problem you describe happen to it, i'd take it in to the dealer, and they'd check it and say "unable to duplicate customer complaint" car checks out ok!

Eventually, after about the 3rd time it happened, i called American Suzuki, and complained, and they warranteed a new ECM and some other stuff for it, and it didnt really fix the problem, just lessened its regular occurances to semi-annually.

Eventually, i just learned to live with it and traded it in on a truck a few years later. I hope your issue is more curable than that.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by simadownow6988
This is what I spent 42K for???
I'd be more upset about spending 42k.

Take it to the dealer. It is probably a bad ignition switch or something along the same lines.

Be glad the key is on the column. My wifes Commander has the key on the dash and I hit that thing with my knee all the time. It has shut down on me several times.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning. They can have it as long as it takes to cure the problem, but "unable to duplicate problem" on service ticket will concern me quite a bit. If it continues, DC will be the new owner of my truck. I will not make monthly payments on a vehicle Im too afraid to drive.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM

My buddies F250 diesel did that and it was a common problem of the steering column chafing a wire bundle and shorting out.

Same thing, truck would just die but would restart immediately.

Happend a lot in turns as thats when column moved of course.

just 2 cents.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by simadownow6988
It really frustrates me that the truck has 3122 miles on it and screwing up, and has me afraid of it. This is what I spent 42K for???
You spent 42K on a vehicle with lots of electronic sensors. Anything with electronics is more prone to glitches. I've seen this problem happen when a throttle position sensor went out on an N-14 Cummins. Take it to the dealer and get a loaner until they figure the problem out.

I doubt you were very close to death. Chances are, the truck driver was just playing around trying to scare you a little for slowing down in front of him for no reason that he could see.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 PM

I doubt you were very close to death. Chances are, the truck driver was just playing around trying to scare you a little for slowing down in front of him for no reason that he could see.[/QUOTE]

It worked if he was trying to scare me, but I doubt he was. He locked up the brakes, and his tires poured white smoke. He was into the horn way after he passed me and I couldnt see inside the cab, but I bet he was giving me some personal gestures also.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM

crap...quote didnt work...sorry
Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good Luck and please keep us posted as to what they find!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 PM

I would allmost bet on the crank sensor,, It would make sense

Kevin
Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 PM

I will let you guys know what they find when they call me.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:43 PM

Man if the trucker was following that close that he had to lock up the brakes, I would say that he was a little to close! Why do most truckers think they own the road?

Snoxracer

Quick Reply: Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!