3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Preventing truck thieves

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My 95-V10 was stolen when it was about 9 months old. It was picked up by a repo type vehicle, inside a "secured" apartment complex, where a card was needed to open the gate.

With that being said, I didn't live in the complex, but my wifes parents did. They were borrowing the truck to pull thier camper with. We never had a card, but when we needed to visit them, we'd hold back and wait till someone swiped thier card, then tagged along behind them. In the year that we did this, nobody ever once said a word.

Our biggest issue came not fron the insurance, but from the Texas DPS officer investigating the case. It became pretty clear early on that he really didn't care who he locked up for the theft. He just wanted someone. He tried several months to lock me up for it. I always had creepy feeling about him. He'd follow me home from work, or have someone follow me nearly every day. He'd show up at our house at 10:30 at night, and would need to ask me a few questions. He always semed to want me to take a ride to talk. Said he didn't want to bother the wife or kids. Duh. Beating on the door at 10:30 isn't bothering them any?

I always told him that whatever was said between us would be discussed with the wife anyway so he needed to talk to me with her present. It was obvious he didn't like that idea and would refuse to most of the time.

I'm glad I payed attention to the uneasy feelings. About two years later he was charged with nearly beating a prisoner in our county jail to death, trying to get a confession for a diffrent crime out of him.

My wife also knew the wife of the insurance investigator, so we talked to him alot about the case. There was always an odd issue with this case that I never got to learn the ending of. I didn't think much about this at the time, but early on, the officer asked for a custody hearing on the truck. This is when I first met him. He tried very hard to convince a judge to hand the truck over to him. I had allready received the insurance settlement, but the truck was still titled to me. The judge had to repeadly deny him custody. Since I had been paid for the truck, I sign the title over to my insurance company and when I did this, he stormed out of the room.

Later on, I talked to the insurance guy again, and he told me that the cop had filed appeals to that ruling, but they wern't allowed by the judge. Then after the insurance company had sold the truck, he filed a suit against the insurance company for custody. The insurace company was forced to buy back the truck, then store it untill that case got settled.

We lost contact with them so I never did find out the ending to that.

The final story I got was whoever stole the truck was using it to move stolen heavy equipment. But that never made sence. I saw the truck after it was recovered, it never had a gooseneck hitch installed, and the receiver was not factory, and certainly wasn't rated to haul dozers anywhere. Plus, it was only a 2500. If someone's going to swipe a truck to haul heavy equipment, it seems they'd want a 1 ton or more.

I beleive there was drugs still hidden in the truck, and the cop knew it and may have been part of it. I also have always wonder why the guy that was caught driving the truck was never arrested or charged with anything.

So you see, when you get tired of making those payments, don't thing it'll make things easier if someone stole it, or don't think that insurance will allways just pay it off and you can just get a new one.

Also, with regard to gap insurance, (this in my opinion). if you need to purchase additional gap insurance, you don't need to be financing that vehicle. Your obviously paying more for it than it's worth. Run, don't walk away fromn that deal.

Sorry if this this so long. Getting a truck stolen is can be an experience that stays with you for a long time.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think some of the agency's realize how traumatic it is just to get your truck stolen after you have planned and saved for it and taken care of it. Bad enough to get your truck stolen without having to go through all of that other weird stuff.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bark
I dont think some of the agency's realize how traumatic it is just to get your truck stolen after you have planned and saved for it and taken care of it. Bad enough to get your truck stolen without having to go through all of that other weird stuff.
Yup I spent over a year building my truck new paint,lift,tires and rims 1 ton suspension. 3 weeks later after finished stolen never found.

6 months fighting ICBC government owned insurance monoply (who tried to say I stole it myself) had to hire an arbitrator to fight them lost about 5000-7000 grand.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That is a good looking truck. sorry to hear about the theft.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:09 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

That was a beauty. You would think it would have been spotted somewhere but the bad guys can be pretty clever and Surrey is a pretty big town.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It probably hasn't been spotted because it might not even be in the same town. It may be taken apart, or like mine, it was repainted. When my truck was handed over to the insurance company, I got a call to go sign the release papers at the wreker place that had it. But when I got there, i told him i was there about the Grey Dodge, but they didn't have a gray Dodge. It was now white, no bumbers, and some body work was done. I would have never recognized it if it parked beside me at an intersection. It's going to be a custom detail that didn't get removed that only you would notice if you saw it.

My biggest beef about all I went through is so much effort was put into puting me in jail but not one minute was spent trying to lock away they guy that had it. That just doesn't seem right.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bark
That was a beauty. You would think it would have been spotted somewhere but the bad guys can be pretty clever and Surrey is a pretty big town.
It was stolen in broad daylight Noon-1:00 p.m. from my work in Vancouver, parked in a lot right on a busy street (Broadway) with a bus stop right there. It was pretty tall I was backed into the parking stall so the perp went to the pass side (pretty hidden) broke the 1/4 glass and drove it away.I was stupid stolen Wednesday alarm/theft stuff booked to go in Friday as it was payday

Lucky my $5000.00 454 and HP built 700R od was sitting on my garage floor waiting for install.

I built this one after but never put the same effort into it

When I got my Ram alarm/Immobiliser went in right away!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of mines 03 was stolen in Phoenix about two months ago and was recovered SE of Tucson. It's back home now and going to be repaired. I stopped by the body shop and we got it running. Drive train wise it looks pretty good, nothing bent or damaged underneath. Body is bad as is the interior. They cut out all the seat belts (???), all the vents were missing, and the radio had obviously had something stuck through it. One mirror gone and the paint/body has bad scratches all over it. The truck was fully insured, but he was still looking at a payment book if he wanted to replace it. He was almost hoping that they wouldn't find it, but after hearing it run I think he's ok now. We will make this truck VERY difficult to "borrow".
Old 12-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Chapter President

They push out the vents to stuff drugs and such in them. I have seen them remove door panels and pack the doors as well. On SUV 4x4 rigs, they pack them full of drugs and run them accross the river, if they get stuck in the middle of the river they torch it right where it sits.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Chapter President

That is a good lookin truck!

Originally Posted by megajoltman
It was stolen in broad daylight Noon-1:00 p.m. from my work in Vancouver, parked in a lot right on a busy street (Broadway) with a bus stop right there. It was pretty tall I was backed into the parking stall so the perp went to the pass side (pretty hidden) broke the 1/4 glass and drove it away.I was stupid stolen Wednesday alarm/theft stuff booked to go in Friday as it was payday

Lucky my $5000.00 454 and HP built 700R od was sitting on my garage floor waiting for install.

I built this one after but never put the same effort into it

When I got my Ram alarm/Immobiliser went in right away!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Charliez

That is one of the weirdest stories I've ever heard.
Sounds maybe like the cop handling the case might of had a bit of involvement somehow. My insurance company tried telling me I stole my truck. I paid CASH for it (Literally bought it in $20 bills from a dealer in south Phoenix). Man they are weird. And they were very rude. I would have fought them in court, but I didn't have the money at the time to do so. That truck was all I had.

If a cop ever tried 1/10th of the stuff that one did with you, he would of been over. I've never heard of someone following you around and such. You could actually have filed suit if he didn't have the grounds to keep surveillance on you.

Sorry to see you have to deal with that. Awhile back I went through a huge ordeal where this kid I knew (But not nearly well enough) said he needed some cash to get somewhere (another town about 200 miles away), and I suggested he go sell some of his tools to some of the local construction workers (small town, lots of construction), if he was in a bind. He said he would do it, but the freeway was right near us, and "town" was 35 miles the wrong direction... Being nieve at the time, I told him I'd give him the cash he needed to get there if he gave me tools that I knew were worth the amount or better. He thought it was a great idea, and we made the trade.

The next day I went down to the pawn shop and made my money back while I was in town. They did their usual checks with the local police department, and everything was fine.

A week later I was 400 miles away on vacation, and I get a call saying the police are looking for me. I immediately call them to see what was going on. They told me the tools were stolen! So I gave them all the info I had on this kid, what he looked like, what he drove, everything he had told me, how I met him, everything! The cop says "No problem, don't worry about it, we'll figure it out when you get back"

So when I returned home a few days later, I call him, and I can't get through. I called this guy nearly a hundred times over the next month. His secretary ALWAYS said he was out of the office, and blah blah blah. They gave me the run around.

I finally gave up. 6 months letter I received a letter stating that I was being charged with theft of $4100 worth of equipment!

Since that day, I won't say a word to a cop. I don't want to get personal here, and they aren't all that bad, but I trust a random person more than the police. Btw, the tools I sold I got $140 for.

Nuts. Some police seem to have an issue where they are always out to get you if you are in the limelight.

If my car were broken into, I wouldn't even bother to report it. Nothing will happen anyways, and I don't like dealing with the police.

This was way off topic. lol. But I just figured I'd let you know you werent the only one that has had to deal with weird police officers.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
That is a good lookin truck!
Thank's I'm starting to build my Ram now, I've always had a way of seeing the truck in my mind a building it that way!