3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Preventing truck thieves

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
I have a personal friend that is a Marine and is an instructor here in New Mexico that teaches military members escape and evade tactics and one of those is how to steal 99% of the cars out there to get away. He went step by step with me on how to bypass sentry system. scared the heck out of me.
Really, What is he doing in New Mexico ?? Where does he teach ??
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
up near sante fe.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Texan1983
well **** what good is it if they still break out your windows? at least if they steal the whole thing you get some money for it...

can't be that good if they still break the windows...
HUMMMM

I have so much money rapped up in my truck in aftermarket stuff, I would never see any money from the insurance company for it.

My insurance has free glass replacement so it did not cost me a dime. Break all the windows you want!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Megacab07
HUMMMM

I have so much money rapped up in my truck in aftermarket stuff, I would never see any money from the insurance company for it.

My insurance has free glass replacement so it did not cost me a dime. Break all the windows you want!!!

AMEN BROTHER!! LOL
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 AM

The best thing I have used on my old chev truck was the Grant's Vehicle Security System. Lets you take yor steering wheel with you. Over 10 yrs owning my truck never a problem, lots of vehicles were stolen all around me.

http://www.grantproducts.com/c-107-v...-security.aspx

To bad it won't work with airbag vehicles
Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2001diesel
Well, there has been about five vehicles that have been stolen in my area lately and it has made me a bit uneasy. A couple of them have been trucks and Suv's. My neighbors was just taken Thanksgiving evening. The police think they are stealing them on flatbeds and taking them to Mexico. I park my dodge outside because it wont fit in my garage and I was wondering what you guys do to keep it from being stolen? Do wheel locks work? Anything else?

Thanks.
If they are using flatbeds, Ravelco isn't going to help - they will realize once they are in Mexico that they can't start the thing and ditch it somewhere across the border... How are they getting away with using flatbeds and no one noticing anything?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Chapter President

flatbeds are rarly used but never the less they are used. They don't use them much because they are slow and cause too much of a scene and are loud. They would more likely use a flatbed in a rural area but then they are taking the chance of getting shot.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 PM

like cbrahs said...

Auto thefts yearly via the use of ANY type of tow truck/tow rig hangs out at around 2%

This means that including the threat of thieves using a tow vehicle, the Ravelco will still theoretically give you a 98% reduction in the risk of theft.

Pretty good.

And here's the thing... People don't just use flatbeds. I hear the term "flatbed" way more than I actually hear about one being used... What people DO use are the wheel lifts that can be attached to fullsize pickups. Just like the Repo guys use, they can just back right up, lift the front wheels, and drag the car off... This is why turning your wheel, setting your parking brake firmly, and making sure your drive wheels are in gear, and are not in a position where they can be lifted.

I honestly believe you can reduce the risk of successful theft to less than 1% with a Ravelco and a good head on your shoulders.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Chapter President

also if you have a 4x4, you can park it in 4low. trying to push it out of the driveway would be thougher. the thieves around here are pushing them out of the driveway and then starting and taking off. reduces the chance of you waking up and catching them.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM

One other thing I recommend for all of you that live in a house...
http://www.elights.com/stl360q3.html

There are other places to get something similar, but that is a good lighting system... It offers 180 degree motion sensing in front, and 360 degrees below. So it will cover your whole driveway. 300 watt Halogen light, we all know how bright that is. For the price its a good buy, and it doesnt just help keep your vehicle safe, but it makes your garage less tempting.

I know someone that has 2 of those, one above each side of the garage door, and then a normal 2 bulb 180 degree one with 2 VERY high powered bulbs in the center above the garage door. His driveway is like daylight, and it shines all the way out to the street, and the neighbors yards and windows, and everywhere else! haha

It might not seem like that big of a deal, but just pretend you are a thief... You have to sneak up to some guys house, break into his truck or car, and start the thing, all without him coming outside to give you some Buckshot for Xmas. The last thing you want to do is light up the entire block when you come walking up at 3 am.

Another good cheap thing to do, is once you have some good sensor lights in place (don't forget to make them sensitive, and make them stay on for at least 5 minutes), go grab 2 of these.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezS...productID=1077

They are VERY cheap... And you can get ALL of this stuff installed in less than a 12 pack.

A few hundred bucks to help save your truck, your bike, your tools, whatever else is in your garage, and your family... Its not foolproof, but it will really limit the chances that someone has the marbles to come walking up to your house like they own the place.

Take away their comfort, and they will move on to your neighbors house... You know, the one that still won't return your tools.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM

I think the idea of a chip that sends a signal would be nice as well. It would help find and catch the buggers. But of course its still better they dont take it to start with. I am not sure who or where one would find such a thing but if a person can be tracked by having a cell phone then I would think its not far possible to have a unit that could be phoned to turn it on or something then located. I am so thankfull I live where I live. Although it seems to be getting worse, when ever places see growth they see it in all aspects. The good and the bad.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:27 PM

RRAMctd - There are probably a dozen systems on the market that do just that. They either use a Radio Frequency signal, or a cellular signal.
RF can be blocked, but it is much easier to detect the signal, and a thief can use a simple radio scanner (like a police scanner) not only to detect the signal, but listen to it, and use it to dictate whether or not the vehicle has been reported stolen yet.

The cellular signal can be blocked using a simple readily available "Cell Jammer". It simply interrupts cellular signals, rendering them useless. These are usually used in things like meetings and such where they don't want cell phone activity/interruption, but they are available in dozens of strengths and configurations.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 PM

mine's pretty much stock, steal it? I'll go buy a new one no biggie... I have State Farm and they've taken care of me for over 20 years... never even thought about worrying about something like this...
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 PM

If you have an Auto, don't waste the $$$.... wire you a converter lockup switch that hidden. When you park your truck, flip the hidden switch. If someone tried to steal your truck and put it in gear, it will kill the engine. Easy theft prevention for about a $1.50
Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 AM

Similar to what was mentioned above.........

Instead of putting the transfer case in 4lo, put it in nuetral. Might not stop 100% of thieves but it will stop quite a few. I do this when my truck is parked in a bad place or when I leave it at home and go on vacation for a while. If they get in it, and roll it down the drive way and try and start it, put it in gear, very few will think to look at the transfer case. Most would give up and haul butt when they couldnt get the truck to move in gear. Its cheap, works for now, maybe securtiy system later on.

Quick Reply: Preventing truck thieves