3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Preventing truck thieves

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oooooh, ok, sorry, I thought it was somewhere around the instrument cluster, not actually in it. That should be the "armed" light for the factory alarm.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
"California Style"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
No problem, that is what I thought and was hoping. Glad I have the sentry key and an alarm then at least...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 AM

The red Light in the instrument cluster is the factory alarm indicator, at least on the 2005, and 2006 trucks. Info for what that light is should be in the owners manual again at least for the 05, and 06 trucks.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 AM

My favorite system for defense. A big *** dog. I bought my dog Mopar about two years ago when there was a string of garage thefts in our small town. So I went looking for the biggest meanest looking dog I could find.

Here is Mopar at only 11 months and almost 80 lbs.

He is now 110 lbs + and still growing. IMO he is the best defense for my home and cars. He is on a electric fence colar and has free roam of the whole place.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 AM

Question

How secure is the factory alarm and sentry key?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:44 AM

I used to live in Phoenix and always worried about this also. Fortunately, I got out intact before anything happened.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what percentage of stolen trucks have manual trannies, vs. auto trannies? Mine is a 6-speed manual, and was just wondering if that made it less desirable to thieves.

Thanks, and good luck. I don't miss Phoenix at all.

Steve
Old 11-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flatshooter
How secure is the factory alarm and sentry key?

easier to take than you think. put it this way, Honda has had a "chipped" key for YEARS and they are still on the top 10 list every year. There are websites in Mexico that teach people how to bypass them. I have a personal friend that is a Marine and is an instructor here in New Mexico that teaches military members escape and evade tactics and one of those is how to steal 99% of the cars out there to get away. He went step by step with me on how to bypass sentry system. scared the heck out of me.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Patriot_Auto
My favorite system for defense. A big *** dog. I bought my dog Mopar about two years ago when there was a string of garage thefts in our small town. So I went looking for the biggest meanest looking dog I could find.

Here is Mopar at only 11 months and almost 80 lbs.

He is now 110 lbs + and still growing. IMO he is the best defense for my home and cars. He is on a electric fence colar and has free roam of the whole place.

Good looking dog! If you have the capability of keeping the truck behind that electric collar that would be great. Not to be a jerk or get you twisted up, there is a bodyshop here in town that had some lowrider behind the fence. I guess this thing had a ton of money into it and they were doing one of those painjobs on it. Someone shot the 2 dogs that they bodyshop had behind the fence and they went in and stole the wheels off the car. I would be looking for blood if someone shot my dog. that is like killing one of my kids!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by radshooter

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what percentage of stolen trucks have manual trannies, vs. auto trannies? Mine is a 6-speed manual, and was just wondering if that made it less desirable to thieves.

My neighbor is a county Sheriff. He said driving a manual tranny is one of the easiest theft prevenative measures I could have done. He said its probably 20-1,autos vs. manuals that get stolen in our area. He doesn't think the car thieves are smart enough to drive a manual.

Having a Sheriffs car parked in the driveway next to mine is nice.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Chapter President

that is a plus having Johny law right next door. I have even done several of their cars! I have to agree with you, the thieves are dumber than dirt. but if they put forth as much energy into an honest job as they do stealing, they would be pretty successful.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah. My 04.5 got stolen in May of 07 from West Phoenix. I think a Sheriff down in Mexico has a new Dodge truck. They never found it.

Aaron
Old 11-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
Good looking dog! If you have the capability of keeping the truck behind that electric collar that would be great. Not to be a jerk or get you twisted up, there is a bodyshop here in town that had some lowrider behind the fence. I guess this thing had a ton of money into it and they were doing one of those painjobs on it. Someone shot the 2 dogs that they bodyshop had behind the fence and they went in and stole the wheels off the car. I would be looking for blood if someone shot my dog. that is like killing one of my kids!
Thanks. Yes having my dog shot is always a down side. I live in a small farm town and that sort of thing is not at all common. I'm more concerned of the local youngsters that like to roam around through the yards and look for open sheds/garages. My car shop is behind my house and I would hate to have all my tools and cars stolen. I keep my Trans Am in my shop and the dually parked in front of the door. My trailer and other trucks are all within the dogs boundary. He is sort of the neighborhood watch dog. All the neighbors know his kill bark when he spots someone in the night. They usually have their shotguns in hand on their porch not too long after. Hes a good asset to have around. I love him none the less.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I dont want to get my truck back if it ever gets stolen. My son had his car stolen and finally got it back. The insurance company paid for repairs but because of the abuse, the car was never the same.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Patriot_Auto
Thanks. Yes having my dog shot is always a down side. I live in a small farm town and that sort of thing is not at all common. I'm more concerned of the local youngsters that like to roam around through the yards and look for open sheds/garages. My car shop is behind my house and I would hate to have all my tools and cars stolen. I keep my Trans Am in my shop and the dually parked in front of the door. My trailer and other trucks are all within the dogs boundary. He is sort of the neighborhood watch dog. All the neighbors know his kill bark when he spots someone in the night. They usually have their shotguns in hand on their porch not too long after. Hes a good asset to have around. I love him none the less.
Wished I lived back in the country. I am from a small town and we never took our keys out of our rigs or locked the house. Now living in the city (which sucks), i have to protect myself somehow. I have a German Sheppard that keeps the inside and backyard protected but my truck is too tall for my garage. I need a 4000 sqaure foot shop with an appartment on the end of it!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 PM

What about a marine key-type battery switch? Would something like it be useful to prevent theft or could it easily be bypassed?

Quick Reply: Preventing truck thieves