3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Preventing truck thieves

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preventing truck thieves

Well, there has been about five vehicles that have been stolen in my area lately and it has made me a bit uneasy. A couple of them have been trucks and Suv's. My neighbors was just taken Thanksgiving evening. The police think they are stealing them on flatbeds and taking them to Mexico. I park my dodge outside because it wont fit in my garage and I was wondering what you guys do to keep it from being stolen? Do wheel locks work? Anything else?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Keep hearing great things about Ravelco-will put one on mine when I save up enough pennies, other than that, I park mine in the back behind lock and key.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a ravelco distributor in your area. www.bestautosecurity.com and click on arizona. He will be able to answer all your questions about the product. it saved my hind end this summer.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 PM

I had the ravelco installed on my truck a few months back after a few cars were stolen in my area. I to live in the phoenix area. If you would like the name of the guy that installed mine shot me a pm. He was awesome and did an amazing job on the install.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Chapter President

was it Kellen?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 PM

One more thing, about a month ago somebody hit our area again. They broke out a couple of windows on my truck. My truck was the only one that was not accually stolen and I firmly beleive they saw the ravelco and did not bother.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Megacab07
One more thing, about a month ago somebody hit our area again. They broke out a couple of windows on my truck. My truck was the only one that was not accually stolen and I firmly beleive they saw the ravelco and did not bother.
well **** what good is it if they still break out your windows? at least if they steal the whole thing you get some money for it...

can't be that good if they still break the windows...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Chapter President

doesnt matter what you do to protect a rig, they can still vandalize it. prevent it from being stolen.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbrahs
doesnt matter what you do to protect a rig, they can still vandalize it. prevent it from being stolen.
why? it still cost you the same?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Chapter President

cost the same? show me a truck that cost a couple hundred $$ unless a person has gap insurance, their insurance company is only going to give "fair market value" and could be out a bunch of money or if they are unlucky, they don't have full coverage insurance and be out a bunch more.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
cost the same? show me a truck that cost a couple hundred $$ unless a person has gap insurance, their insurance company is only going to give "fair market value" and could be out a bunch of money or if they are unlucky, they don't have full coverage insurance and be out a bunch more.
. . . . plus you can still drive to work the next day (even if you do have to make a window out of poly & duct tape!)
Old 11-27-2007, 11:44 PM
"California Style"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a red dot light on my instrument panel that flashes every so often while locked up. Is this for the factory security system indicator? Nothing I've found in my manual really tells me much about such security system...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:04 AM

Hey everyone... Chris pointed this thread out to me, so I figured now would be a good time to get involved here.

My name is Kellen, and I own Thieftech, we are the Phoenix dealer for Ravelco.

While I didn't do the install on Megacab07's truck, I have done a ton of diesels.

Right now in Phoenix, Diesel theft is a huge market. Many of these trucks are a piece of cake to steal without using a flatbed. A flatbed is loud, and slow. A thief will get inside your truck and be as stealth as a ninja up until the second he gets it started.

Even if you happen to be sleeping in your own garage with a loaded shotgun at the time, once the truck is started, they will be out of sight within 5 seconds... Most of the time the thief will have the vehicle in Neutral, and they will release the parking brake, THEN attempt to start it. If it starts, they are even closer to Drive, and have no brake to release. They are gone before you can jump out of bed.

I have had so many Diesel owners call me up, telling me about how their brand new truck was stolen, and they just now got it back.

Insurance won't always be there to help you. It's great to have, but honestly, it is just like health insurance. They do whatever they can to save money.

Anyone that believes they can risk losing their vehicle because they have full coverage is just asking to be taken advantage of.

I got into this business because last December, my F350 Crew Cab Diesel 4X4 was stolen. I paid cash for it on the spot when I bought it. I had the best coverage that USAA offers. Not only had I been a member with them for as long as I can remember, but so had my grandmother and grandfather, my mother, and my uncle, his wife, and his kids. We all also banked with USAA.

One night while vising here in Phoenix, I was staying at a friends apartment while I was here, and I had my truck parked on Bell and Central.
When I came out in the morning, it was gone. I called the police to report it stolen, and they asked for my license plate number. After not-so-nicely explaining to the dispatcher that the thieves weren't kind enough to leave my plate behind for me, she told me to call back when I had the number. 30 minutes later, I called, and they filed the report.

How helpful.

To shorten the story, USAA denied my claim in full, stating that "...the vehicle was parked in an exceedingly high crime area without prior approval for coverage of theft in said high crime area."

Basically, they pulled a fast one on me, and that was that. I cut the loss.

I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful in any way whatsoever, but I see so many unsettled claims, its ridiculous.

On top of refusals to accept your claim, you have deductibles, rental cars (think your insurance company will pay for that? Re-read your claim contract closely... Usually no longer than 14 days, when they usually wait 1 month to even BEGIN processing your claim.), loss of valuables and personal belongings, hours and hours and hours of paperwork and phone interviews. And you still have the 50/50 chance of getting an insurance "loss agent". These guys are some of the most rude people you will ever have to deal with in your life. Their sole job is to make you look bad and save the company money. They will interrogate you, accuse you of lying, pull up financial history (they tried to tell me that maybe I had my truck stolen because my grandmother had filed bankruptcy 6 years ago, I swear to god). You don't ever want to deal with these people.

Then again, when my truck was hit, I made the claim, and received $2900 CASH within 9 days. MUCH better than trying to deal with a total loss situation.

2001diesel- Do you know why the police believe flatbeds are being used?
And are these vehicles being stolen from homes or work?
I'm just curious...
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

And thanks for having me here.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
I have a red dot light on my instrument panel that flashes every so often while locked up. Is this for the factory security system indicator? Nothing I've found in my manual really tells me much about such security system...
Did you buy your truck used? 99% chance that is an aftermarket alarm or "dummy light".
Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 AM
"California Style"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Nope, bought it brand new and it is inside the instrument cluster...

Quick Reply: Preventing truck thieves